Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

That 12/12 - 12/14 window still looks pretty good to me. Maybe it gets pushed back a bit but overall I think that's the best shot. 

Yeah and I wonder if we get multiple shots at this....that first window is still kind of early in the pattern. Historically, the better shot would be when the block is kind of decaying which would be more like beyond 12/15. But we've seen multiple storms before in a big NAO block regime. Feb 2021 is one example....March 2018 is another.

• Like 4

Exciting to see and will be following allow. Appreciate the information y'all share. I'll be back "home" for the holidays in CT, so it'll be interesting to see how the second half of December into January is looking as we progress. Very much hoping for a shot or two... haven't seen snow since being in Yosemite in early 2020.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and I wonder if we get multiple shots at this....that first window is still kind of early in the pattern. Historically, the better shot would be when the block is kind of decaying which would be more like beyond 12/15. But we've seen multiple storms before in a big NAO block regime. Feb 2021 is one example....March 2018 is another.

Wait, so the block is decaying post 12/15 after being in place for less than a week?

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec '81 is actually not a terrible analog either for this pattern. I think late Dec '10- early Jan '11 is a better one, but Dec '81 had that block dominating the pattern for weeks.

Parts of Dec 1995 are a good match too.

You know I don't mind Dec 1981.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Wait, so the block is decaying post 12/15 after being in place for less than a week?

By definition a block is decaying as soon s it reaches peak strength. But the decay stage can last a long time...even weeks sometimes. Sometimes you get little reloads too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Varies. March 2018 and December 2010 each lasted 6 plus weeks.

March was a SSWE (not sure reason for 2010). Since this was not caused by a SSWE might not last as long? The METS on this forum would know best.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, this won't last forever. Usually they still a little longer than modeled though. 

17 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Just in time for the grinch storm to wipe out our pack :lol:

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

By definition a block is decaying as soon s it reaches peak strength. But the decay stage can last a long time...even weeks sometimes. Sometimes you get little reloads too. 

Interesting, I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a 10 day window before we pack it in for the grinch storm. 

Ideally what you hope is that as the blocking fades, the Pacific helps take over. Also like Will said, you may see these pulses or brief spikes in ridging again in the same area. 

I think in our case, we may see it fade, but it could take awhile for something with that magnitude to break down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Varies. March 2018 and December 2010 each lasted 6 plus weeks.

March was a SSWE (not sure reason for 2010). Since this was not caused by a SSWE might not last as long? The METS on this forum would know best.

NAO blocks can reload too after a period of decay. That definitely happened in 2010-2011…even after the monster block (with a couple reloads) finally broke down after the 1/12/11 storms, we got some mini-reloads…a more east-based block formed ahead of the 1/27/11 system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec '81 is actually not a terrible analog either for this pattern. I think late Dec '10- early Jan '11 is a better one, but Dec '81 had that block dominating the pattern for weeks.

Parts of Dec 1995 are a good match too.

The 81-82 winter was much better for central and NNE. I remember being in central NH in mid Jan. and there was a ton of snow. We had a lot of mixing issues down here, but seemed to get much better just north of 128.

22 minutes ago, Heisy said:

18z GFS same type of setup as the 12z euro in Day 10-12 fantasy land. It then does a March 4-6 2001 pin wheel phase for shits and giggles
de517fd35e2f81c2e0b0abfb26fadad4.jpg

Noticed that ...    The key is the aft regiom of the ORD S/W...If that pops taller into Canada ... it will trigger that western SPV to curl and subsume - that's a 1978 redux look there, but is hardly claiming analog - just the 'behavior' in principle...

image.png.88f7e5dff6f67c7b52fa31a065d90348.png

This GFS solution doesn't get it done ..but it's damn close!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George001 said:

The setup for mid month is loaded, historically strong North Atlantic blocking, a western ridge centered over Montana (ideal for east coast cyclogenesis), and excess water vapor available for storms to tap due to the volcanic activity last year and the mild early season Atlantic Ocean. What was really interesting was the end of the Euro run, it looked like it was about to phase a piece of the vortex over southern Canada into the storm (the northern and southern branches are already starting to phase over the Midwest). This run it likely would have been a bit late with the 3rd piece, but if that dives in a little earlier the ceiling drastically increases. Either way we’re getting a Miller B nor’easter/blizzard in my opinion, but the question is are we getting a double phaser or triple phaser. Triple phasers are very rare, so the odds are low, but due to the magnitude of the blocking the odds are higher than they usually are. The farther NE you are, the better the chance is of that 3rd piece phasing in. Even without it, due to the magnitude of the block the low will be in no hurry to leave, and with all the water vapor in the atmosphere combined with the arctic Canadian air clashing with the mild Atlantic Ocean we could easily see 3+ inches of QPF with a double phaser. If we get a triple phaser, all bets are off and we could be talking 5+ inches of QPF. 

settle down Beavis

• Haha 3