Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I was actually just perusing the Jan 2015 discussion thread. There was a more bullish bent to the conversation starting around the 20th with the 1/24 system and the models showing big potential for 1/27. I forgot about the sloppy 1/24 storm, but then that one acted as a dirty transitory block for the big dog. 

Ya that sloppy one was a Friday night….then at 0z that night/early Saturday morning, the Euro brought the big dog back from the dead.  That was an exciting time. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m patient. Just sitting here smiling. Those who insist people are not patient are likely the culprits. 

I think most of the reasonable folks here are plenty patient.  Ya have a few who keep denying any pattern change has happened, or will. And a few who say what the ensembles have been showing isn’t real. Other than those folks, the vast majority are fine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I think most of the reasonable folks here are plenty patient.  Ya have a few who keep denying any pattern change has happened, or will. And a few who say what the ensembles have been showing isn’t real. Other than those folks, the vast majority are fine. 

Yup. The loud minority stand on the tallest podium. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I get the angst from many. I know from about Will on east and south got lucky last year so my expectations or excitement isn’t like some on here who have endured some pedestrian winters as of late. I get it. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get the angst from many. I know from about Will on east and south got lucky last year so my expectations or excitement isn’t like some on here who have endured some pedestrian winters as of late. I get it. 

Well in that case, then I would be in that group.  Although we had a very good storm in Dec ‘20, and Feb 1st of ‘21,  but got boned last January with those of you out east/SE getting it.  I have no issues waiting to mid month for this to mature/come into its own.  

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the ridging over the Rockies popping up as the block attenuates is classic. this is where the potential really cranks up

DEB74847-2E5F-4FEA-829A-226AD317B179.thumb.gif.1ac1c85b285512b99cb912492ffb5a0b.gif

That has an Archambault appeal... the best events come when the block relaxes and the NAO values are in flux, especially the backside of a strong block.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the ridging over the Rockies popping up as the block attenuates is classic. this is where the potential really cranks up

Let's get the "potential" comfortably inside 10 days. Otherwise we might just be wishing for something fantastical or ephemeral. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Let's get the "potential" comfortably inside 10 days. Otherwise we might just be wishing for something fantastical or ephemeral. 

"We don't live at 500mb" also comes to mind.  The separation between 500mb anomalies and patterns, vs. sensible weather outcomes (ie. snowstorm) is a tough one to make when looking at the future.  We all see one level (H5) and assume the SFC will bring us the goods.  Understanding the differences will be key going forward.

• Like 5

Wow, can't believe that the December thread is 17 pages long already and it's not even 12/1.  Even the last 18 hours worth of posts have been kind of crazy.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.  I'm no met, but it's just nice to be in the ballpark of a favorable pattern in December, regardless of the outcome.  Go back the last few years, and there wasn't anything like this really modeled or discussed in December model runs.  Even if it doesn't turn out exactly as we hope, it should be a volatile pattern with chances for all sorts of weather outcomes.  It definitely does not look like last year, so already that's going to be an improvement.

I'm just hoping for seasonable weather around Christmas.  Whether there's snow on the ground, that's always tough, especially where I am, but there's been too many grinch storms last few years where I'm driving home on Christmas Eve at 10PM and its 50 degrees and foggy.  If this anticipated pattern is delayed a few days, I'm not sweating it, with the hope it lasts through Christmas, even if it ends up dry and cold.

Back to your regularly scheduled early December trolling and bickering.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

"We don't live at 500mb" also comes to mind.  The separation between 500mb anomalies and patterns, vs. sensible weather outcomes (ie. snowstorm) is a tough one to make when looking at the future.  We all see one level (H5) and assume the SFC will bring us the goods.  Understanding the differences will be key going forward.

"Looks great at H5"....famous last words.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Obviously hyperbole ^ but you get my drift

20221129_004026.jpg

Holy shit that’s a lot of material! The material from the volcano isn’t going to disappear and do nothing. There are already signs that all that material is being absorbed into the stratosphere. Yes, we don’t live in the stratosphere but what goes up must come down. I don’t think the brunt of the material has came down yet, but once it does I think it will be absorbed into low pressure systems, and will help them strengthen to historic levels. I’m not a met so I don’t really know when all the material is coming down, but I know it has to come down eventually. It’s possible this December is just the beginning, and come February and March is when we get the brunt of the effects of the material from the Tonga eruption coming down from the stratosphere. If that’s indeed the case, this could end up becoming a record breaking winter. Not only that, but it could also mean the next few winters are also severe.

7 minutes ago, George001 said:

Holy shit that’s a lot of material! The material from the volcano isn’t going to disappear and do nothing. There are already signs that all that material is being absorbed into the stratosphere. Yes, we don’t live in the stratosphere but what goes up must come down. I don’t think the brunt of the material has came down yet, but once it does I think it will be absorbed into low pressure systems, and will help them strengthen to historic levels. I’m not a met so I don’t really know when all the material is coming down, but I know it has to come down eventually. It’s possible this December is just the beginning, and come February and March is when we get the brunt of the effects of the material from the Tonga eruption coming down from the stratosphere. If that’s indeed the case, this could end up becoming a record breaking winter. Not only that, but it could also mean the next few winters are also severe.

George, most of the particulates and sulfur stayed below the surface of the sea per what I can ascertain. That's the one thing preventing this event from having a major cooling effect.  In fact, the water vapor that was released to the atmosphere is forecast to create warming per the earlier discussion a few pages back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

George, most of the particulates and sulfur stayed below the surface of the sea per what I can ascertain. That's the one thing preventing this event from having a major cooling effect.  In fact, the water vapor that was released to the atmosphere is forecast to create warming per the earlier discussion a few pages back.

Ah that’s too bad, but the increased water vapor could still lead to an increase in low strength. The question will be if that will be enough to offset the warming or not.