Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Lake Effect Snow Thread

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, thought you did good then too. That Warning couldn't even cover the grass blades in Marshall. What a disappointing event for me. Looks like this one is treating Marshall much better and will end with a bang tonight. Have you seen any reports from there?

No but I'll try and get one. My mother in law lives there. 

Those bands still looking decent out that way. Ann Arbor looks like it is getting clocked as should Josh aka MiSnowFreak..  Amazing. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Harry said:

All the attention on Buffalo while we are breaking our own records..  

Climatologically, you could argue that what's happening in your area is as uncommon as what happened around Buffalo.  But at the end of the day, it's a numbers game.  People are going to be more impressed by 60, 70, 80 inches of snow, especially a casual outside observer.

Would have been just incredible to see this south Buffalo snow in person. Lucky that 1 of our own lives in the hamburg jackpot zone, we don't have to rely on crappy media stories.

Meanwhile here, after days of constant flurries and light snow showers here as the flow annoyingly kept the heaviest squalls to my north, last night's Arctic front brought heavy snow and blowing snow, dropping a quick 1.8". Up to 2.9" on the season. Temperatures dropped to 15° this morning and the powder was crunching as if it was mid-Winter rather than mid-November.

FB_IMG_1668968276282.jpg

• Like 3

Total imby is 20. Officially it was at 20.4 as of midnight.

This les event will rank #2 behind December 2001. 

For the month at 23.2 which is a new record for November. 

Personally this is the most snow in a event I have seen since moving to MI in July 2004. My first 20+ since Feb 1996 on the east coast.. 

This shit disappears quick. Have about a foot on the ground and with full sun I suspect it will continue to drop quickly through the rest of the day. Still a very fun event.. 

Any final yet out of Orchard Park? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Total imby is 20. Officially it was at 20.4 as of midnight.For the month at 23.2 which is a new record for November. Personally this is the most snow in a event I have seen since moving to MI in July 2004. My first 20+ since Feb 1996 on the east coast.

This shit disappears quick. Have about a foot on the ground and with full sun I suspect it will continue to drop quickly through the rest of the day. Still a very fun event.. 

Any final yet out of Orchard Park? 

Watch it. That might get the old "fake snow" debate started again. :P RIP

Congrats on getting a rare Lake enhanced/LES that packed a punch.

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Would have been just incredible to see this south Buffalo snow in person. Lucky that 1 of our own lives in the hamburg jackpot zone, we don't have to rely on crappy media stories.

Meanwhile here, after days of constant flurries and light snow showers here as the flow annoyingly kept the heaviest squalls to my north, last night's Arctic front brought heavy snow and blowing snow, dropping a quick 1.8". Up to 2.9" on the season. Temperatures dropped to 15° this morning and the powder was crunching as if it was mid-Winter rather than mid-November.

FB_IMG_1668968276282.jpg

It seems like November keeps paying off more and more on a yearly basis with good snows

On 11/19/2022 at 10:00 PM, Harry said:

No but I'll try and get one. My mother in law lives there. 

Those bands still looking decent out that way. Ann Arbor looks like it is getting clocked as should Josh aka MiSnowFreak..  Amazing. 

Going by GRR's storm totals map I'd guesstimate 9 or 10". Half of what BC had, but so much better than Nov of 2014. 

This brings up my normal rant about that office's headlines policy. While I lived there we saw multiple 7" in <12 hours synoptic events that were WWA's, while this took 3-1/2 days to get 9+ of light weight LES and had a warning. There's just something so not copasetic about that. 

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Going by GRR's storm totals map I'd guesstimate 9 or 10". Half of what BC had, but so much better than Nov of 2014. 

This brings up my normal rant about that office's headlines policy. While I lived there we saw multiple 7" in <12 hours synoptic events that were WWA's, while this took 3-1/2 days to get 9+ of light weight LES and had a warning. There's just something so not copasetic about that. 

The total ( yesterday now included ) is 21.7! November total is 24.5! 

Friday is the only day that would have qualified going by the observer reporting. Saturday evening/night is a tough call because with that wind it really was whiteout conditions. But yeah I get your point and I agree just this one was a little different. My issue was how badly they low balled the forecasted amounts especially with a warning flying which made it a really big head scratcher? Never once did I ever see the final total forecast come in over 8 here yet 20+ fell. Hell 10-12+ Friday alone across BC. Worse is how much they try to sweep it under the rug with those bs maps and not showing the total which is very news worthy ( record breaking ) but yeah the very news worthy = a bad look on them.. Which is a constant theme with this office especially when it involves the lake and this area. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harry said:

The total ( yesterday now included ) is 21.7! November total is 24.5! 

Friday is the only day that would have qualified going by the observer reporting. Saturday evening/night is a tough call because with that wind it really was whiteout conditions. But yeah I get your point and I agree just this one was a little different. My issue was how badly they low balled the forecasted amounts especially with a warning flying which made it a really big head scratcher? Never once did I ever see the final total forecast come in over 8 here yet 20+ fell. Hell 10-12+ Friday alone across BC. Worse is how much they try to sweep it under the rug with those bs maps and not showing the total which is very news worthy ( record breaking ) but yeah the very news worthy = a bad look on them.. Which is a constant theme with this office especially when it involves the lake and this area. 

Inexperienced staff. Not used to the weather there. Not sure how often staff rotates, but even up here that can happen. I've literally emailed them at times to give a little advice with the lake. What I've seen over the years. Example: Last winter there was a long fetch from the NE coming from open water there across a nearly ice filled head of the lake. They had snow totals forecast around the head of the lake very low. Sent an email that evening letting them know that the snow would come much harder with all that ice keeping temps really cold, and so causing the moisture to precip out much quicker, and stronger than they were anticipating. The next morning, they up the totals more, but still low balled it for the downtown/west Duluth area that gets hit hard on conditions like that. Models can only give so much at times. Experience with lakes helps lots.

• Like 1