• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Lake Effect Snow Thread

Chicago Storm

I don't know how any of the licensing stuff works. I'm just trying to document it as best I can. I love looking back at memorable events. Any recommendations?

Get into contact with Brett Adair of Live Storms Media on Facebook, or I believe his number is on their website as well. He could set you up quickly temporarily. Everyone else is making $ off of video like that right now, so why not you too.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Too bad we cannot add another 100 miles east to west across our lake. :D

Yeah, not that that would hurt the cause, but it'd still be the dispersed version, just a bit heavier. To mimic KBUF, you'd have to re-draw the shape of SWMI's coast line so it funneled to a point just west of Kzoo. That'd be about perfect I think. ;)

8 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Get into contact with Brett Adair of Live Storms Media on Facebook, or I believe his number is on their website as well. He could set you up quickly temporarily. Everyone else is making $ off of video like that right now, so why not you too.

Looks like you can't message him on twitter.

19 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, not that that would hurt the cause, but it'd still be the dispersed version, just a bit heavier. To mimic KBUF, you'd have to re-draw the shape of SWMI's coast line so it funneled to a point just west of Kzoo. That'd be about perfect I think. ;)

The Lake Michigan "equivalent" of Buffalo, so to speak, would be roughly between Gary-Michigan City (or maybe into the extreme sw corner of MI) where you can just firehose it in there in a single band with rates of several inches per hour when LES parameters are very good.  The problem is that the duration is more limited, so it doesn't rack up the insane totals that the Buffalo area can get.  It can pile up quickly while it lasts though --- recall Michigan City receiving about 30" on 12/19/04.

I've been in 4-5" per hour on a couple of occasions with LES off of southern Lake Michigan.  Didn't have thunder then, but I really didn't care lol

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yep. That would do it. Crazy totals for around here anyways. Totals from 4 just south of town on up to near a foot in Pennfield/north side on back to Kalamazoo from what I am hearing via channel 3.. About 10 here by Emmett St and or a couple of blocks from Pennfield.. Work is about a little over two miles south so it will be interesting to see what a difference that makes. I'll be there in a hour.. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. That would do it. Crazy totals for around here anyways. Totals from 4 just south of town on up to near a foot in Pennfield/north side on back to Kalamazoo from what I am hearing via channel 3.. About 10 here by Emmett St and or a couple of blocks from Pennfield.. Work is about a little over two miles south so it will be interesting to see what a difference that makes. I'll be there in a hour.. 

Farther inland seems to be the winner with this one.  GRR did quite well while here in Zeeland at work there was maybe 2" this morning.  Don't know if the winds were too strong and blowing everything inland but I have seen some crazy totals for LES in places you wouldn't normally expect it.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Just saw 7.6 inches at midnight at GRR.  Seems like the winds were a little too strong today and pushed the snow more inland.  Someone is going to have some impressive totals in West Michigan out of this and that is small amounts compared to Northern Lower Michigan or Western New York.

8” depth on the ground here.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The Lake Michigan "equivalent" of Buffalo, so to speak, would be roughly between Gary-Michigan City (or maybe into the extreme sw corner of MI) where you can just firehose it in there in a single band with rates of several inches per hour when LES parameters are very good.  The problem is that the duration is more limited, so it doesn't rack up the insane totals that the Buffalo area can get.  It can pile up quickly while it lasts though --- recall Michigan City receiving about 30" on 12/19/04.

I've been in 4-5" per hour on a couple of occasions with LES off of southern Lake Michigan.  Didn't have thunder then, but I really didn't care lol

The problem is you need a stationary stacked low somewhere near the south end of Lake Huron.  That just doesn’t happen.  If there is a low there it tends to be on its way north towards Quebec or Hudson Bay.  You can get northerly flow for a while with an arctic high, but then the inversion heights are too low and winds too light to get the deep dominant band you need to really dump.

46 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Farther inland seems to be the winner with this one.  GRR did quite well while here in Zeeland at work there was maybe 2" this morning.  Don't know if the winds were too strong and blowing everything inland but I have seen some crazy totals for LES in places you wouldn't normally expect it.

I think it was a result of the DGZ layer being more elevated than normal due to the very warm lake temperature. The seeding process is slower.  In a more NW flow scenario it isn’t a problem because the fetch is long enough to overcome the longer seeding period.

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

Just talked to the boss who's place is just south of the zoo and he said only about 2 inches there so far.  Snowing good here now.. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0200 PM SNOW 2 SW BLASDELL 42.77N 78.87W
11/18/2022 M48.0 INCH ERIE NY TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL SO FAR. ATHOL SPRINGS. 6 INCHES
OF SNOW FELL IN THE LAST HOUR (1 PM TO 2
PM).

Wow!  Part of me would love to experience this.  However, I'm afraid the experience would ruin Iowa for me, forever.  I would never be able to get excited about a solid 3-6" event or 1"/hr rate ever again.

Latest AFD from GRR suggests tomorrow afternoon/night may be more intense with a dominate i94 band setting up.. 2 feet perhaps when all is said and done here? Crazy if it materializes. 

City here just issued a snow emergency for Tomorrow into Sunday. Only other time had one of these was with GHD II. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Latest AFD from GRR suggests tomorrow afternoon/night may be more intense with a dominate i94 band setting up.. 2 feet perhaps when all is said and done here? Crazy if it materializes. 

City here just issued a snow emergency for Tomorrow into Sunday. Only other time had one of these was with GHD II. 

You beat me to it.  GRR definitely giving some emphasis on the I-94 band setting up.

Best in NW IN within the past 10 years was on January 21, 2014 when Griffith area had 20-24" of snow with estimated rates up to 4"/hour. That was the most recent truly high end purely LES event in the LOT CWA.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3