Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

2 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Enjoy the eye candy it will most likely jackpot the same areas as today 

oIHRKWC.png

That would shatter the record for biggest storm after the equinox (I think April 1901 and April 1902 come in at about a foot each), so yeah, not expecting that to happen.

19 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Enjoy the eye candy it will most likely jackpot the same areas as today 

Euro is a perfect track / scenario for us, we've hardly had any fantasy hits this year so fun to see I guess. That would qualify as my paste bomb. :lol: Euro has been pretty flaky this season and its probably over amplifying it.

Upstate NY has been doing pretty good, at least lately. Makes me wonder if 30 years ago that would have been our area getting slammed, or not I still think this season would probably have been lousy in any era.

• Like 1

Whether next week pans out or not, I’m happy to get a day that looks and feels like winter today. Snow on the ground, snow in the air, with temps hovering in the upper 20s and wind chills in the low teens. We really haven’t had many. Aside from Christmas, have we had any?

2 hours ago, TimB said:

That would shatter the record for biggest storm after the equinox (I think April 1901 and April 1902 come in at about a foot each), so yeah, not expecting that to happen.

Pittsburgh just missed an even worse snowstorm later in April 1901 that dropped 20-40+ inches of snow in eastern Ohio, but dumped about 4" of rain in the city with the worst flood until 1936. Parts of West Virginia also saw more than two feet of snow with the first storm that did hit Pittsburgh. If the atmosphere was capable of producing 40" of snow in Ohio in late April of 1901, surely a foot and a half is possible in Pittsburgh in March even with climate change?

image.thumb.png.d3afafe0add4542d6d491b3fde258985.png

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Whether next week pans out or not, I’m happy to get a day that looks and feels like winter today. Snow on the ground, snow in the air, with temps hovering in the upper 20s and wind chills in the low teens. We really haven’t had many. Aside from Christmas, have we had any?

My thoughts exactly. Just walked the dog and it is cold and snowy. :snowwindow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

My thoughts exactly. Just walked the dog and it is cold and snowy. :snowwindow:

Beautiful wintry evening for sure. Steady light snow now for past hour with little brief heavier bursts. Starting to accumulate on the roads now. Have to admit I was surprised snow lasted on the ground all day despite sun angle.

2 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Where the hell was this cold in January and Febuary. It's extremely frigid outside. 

In fairness, the cold parts of the pattern this winter (Christmas, early February) did get quite cold, though brief and still pretty snowless, and this is no exception.

18 hours ago, TimB said:

In fairness, the cold parts of the pattern this winter (Christmas, early February) did get quite cold, though brief and still pretty snowless, and this is no exception.

There were only 5 colder high temperatures since January 1, that I could find - and none by more than 5 degrees.

27 on the 1-14; 29 on 1-31; 28 on 2-1; 31 on 2-3; and 28 on 3-14. Plus, yesterday's 32F reading wasn't hit until nearly 6 pm, aided by the lengthy daylight. Early afternoon was still in the 20s.

21 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

There were only 5 colder high temperatures since January 1, that I could find - and none by more than 5 degrees.

27 on the 1-14; 29 on 1-31; 28 on 2-1; 31 on 2-3; and 28 on 3-14. Plus, yesterday's 32F reading wasn't hit until nearly 6 pm, aided by the lengthy daylight. Early afternoon was still in the 20s.

The 2/3 event is the cold I was referencing. The 31 was a midnight high and afternoon temperatures were in the mid teens. I don’t know about afternoon temperatures specifically, but other than around Christmas 2022, I think the last time PIT had a high in the mid teens was probably 2019. So I’m counting that as “quite cold,” as we went three consecutive winters with nothing like that.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, no.  It's Spring, let's act like it.

I can see not wanting some little 1-3” type event, but I’d take a 17” snowfall in January or July or anywhere in between if I could get it. That said, no way in hell this is happening.

If you want some snow go visit Bryce Canyon in Utah. I vacationed and hiked there in the Fall.

They average 100 inches a year. They have had snow on the ground since January 1. 

I view their weather cams and get jealous that I am not there. Check them tonight and tomorrow and watch the snow coming down.

https://www.rubysinn.com/live-videos-rubys-inn/

Here is tonight's warning. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Salt Lake City UT
247 PM MDT Mon Mar 20 2023

UTZ127-211200-
/O.NEW.KSLC.WS.W.0013.230321T1200Z-230323T1200Z/
Bryce Canyon Country-
Including the city of Bryce Canyon City
247 PM MDT Mon Mar 20 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 6 AM MDT
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 16
  inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Bryce Canyon Country.

* WHEN...From 6 AM Tuesday to 6 AM MDT Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Patchy
  blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

For graphical depictions of the snowfall forecast, including
Official NWS Forecast, High End Amount, and Low End Amount, visit
weather.gov/slc/winter.

For winter road conditions from the Utah Department of
Transportation, visit
http://www.udottraffic.utah.gov/roadweatherforecast.aspx.

&&