• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

On 1/28/2023 at 1:00 PM, jwilson said:

It's just one of those years.  I think people have attempted to over-explain this or over-attribute it to other things, but even places north of us have been getting shafted on the snow.  New England included.  Meanwhile, it's snowing plenty out west.

The pendulum will swing the other way at some point.  Maybe not next year but that's not something to predict, really.

Really can't argue it's getting warmer at least compared to recent recorded history, normal temperatures are increasing, sea ice decreasing, ocean temperatures setting yearly records etc. That being said I'm of the opinion this year would have been bad in any era, just maybe not this bad. If we start stringing years with favorable patterns together and strike out plus warmer than normal I'll start to wonder if we've passed some sort of tipping point. I expect next season will be better.

I haven't given up on getting a storm, but don't expect we can salvage any snow on snow cold weather. This upcoming week looks colder but dry, and the cold is in and out then all indications SE ridge torch again til at least the end of Feb by which time that deep winter feel isn't likely with sun angle, longer days, and return of birds singing.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

Could we pick up a nice inch or so tonight or is this going to be a freezing drizzlefest?

Already flipped to snow here, so barring one of those situations were there isn't sufficient crystal growth shouldn't be much issue with freezing rain / drizzle. We don't usually get ZR when a cold front drops temps, at least anything prolonged. Much more likely warm air overriding antecedent cold.

As for the inch... Well think it will be a challenge but possible.

10 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Already flipped to snow here, so barring one of those situations were there isn't sufficient crystal growth shouldn't be much issue with freezing rain / drizzle. We don't usually get ZR when a cold front drops temps, at least anything prolonged. Much more likely warm air overriding antecedent cold.

As for the inch... Well think it will be a challenge but possible.

Indeed, snowing pretty good here. NWS didn’t seem too keen on this being a snow event, but it’s working out. Not much sticking to the warm ground.

13 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Nice batch of heavier snow has developed and moved in. 

Yeah, radar looks decent, hoping those returns make it into Westmoreland. 00z models seemed to improve slightly too with precip making it further in SW PA.

Just a slushy dusting so far here, but if we can drop the temp another degree or two and get some better rates shouldn't have an issue accumulating.

18 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, radar looks decent, hoping those returns make it into Westmoreland. 00z models seemed to improve slightly too with precip making it further in SW PA.

Just a slushy dusting so far here, but if we can drop the temp another degree or two and get some better rates shouldn't have an issue accumulating.

Yes about 1/2 inch here and my side street and driveway is covered. Visibility under a mile. 

29 minutes ago, north pgh said:

It’s cold out there. :shiver:

Yeah it is, 14 degrees now. The wind really cuts right through you, especially when our bodies are more accustomed to 30s and 40s. I happened to wake up right around 2:30am and catch the front coming through and the snow falling, could really hear the wind howling. Probably picked up a quarter inch or so but looked wintry at least for awhile. Now see who / if anyone gets lucky enough to maybe get under a lake band and pick up some extra snow. Looks like we will have a Huron connection for awhile, but other variables not favorable for better coverage.

This cold snap is so quick though, midnight high today, and making it back close to 30 tomorrow it will largely be lost in the history books outside of overnight lows.

Outside of that, the next 7 days looks pretty uneventful, maybe another cool / cold shot past that. Pattern looks pretty meh for any sustained winter. Still a solid 6 weeks to cash in on something.