• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

2 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Heavy snow about to move into Allegheny County. Bring it on!

Yes, solid 35-45dbz returns about to enter Allegheny. This is the thump that will make or break it, if that is all snow and not indicative of a mix starting things should get interesting. Missing that initial thump delayed the onset so hopefully most people are at work before it hits the city.

5 minutes ago, TimB said:

Remember, this thing got an advisory and still has an active advisory in our county.

Here is the exact criteria for an advisory, they can be issued even if you don't necessarily meet the totals based on impact etc. Given the uncertainty and potential impact I don't think its crazy off the wall NWS had an advisory issued. 

A winter storm event (sleet, snow, freezing rain, snow and blowing snow, or a combination of events) is expected to meet or exceed local winter weather advisory criteria in the next 12 to 36 hours but stay below warning criteria. Criteria for snow is 3 inches or more in 12 hours or less covering at least 50 percent of the zone or encompassing most of the population. Use "mid-point" of snowfall range to trigger advisory (i.e 2 to 4 inches of snow = advisory). Criteria for ice is any ice accumulation less than 1/4 inch over at least 50 percent of the zone or encompassing most of the population. Winter Weather Advisory can also be issued for black ice. This is optional.  These can also be issued for impact (e.g. morning / evening commute). (Source: https://www.weather.gov/pbz/winterterms#:~:text=Use "mid-point" of snowfall range to trigger advisory,be issued for black ice.)

Yes NWS nailed it. Maybe an inch before the switch. That last batch moving in last hour was a dud. At least the rain line will be all the way up to Buffalo this afternoon so we really won’t miss much close by. We’re all in the same boat. Maybe tomorrow will outdo today with some off and on snow showers. 

All we can do now is pray for our northern posters. :snowman:
Well, my girlfriend lives in Bessmer, which is near New Castle. She said, "it looks like a snow globe there. Easily 2 inches so far." Lucky. If it works out, I may move up there. Lol I was with her over the weekend and she got about 2 or 3 inches while I was there Sunday night into Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Here is the exact criteria for an advisory, they can be issued even if you don't necessarily meet the totals based on impact etc. Given the uncertainty and potential impact I don't think its crazy off the wall NWS had an advisory issued. 

A winter storm event (sleet, snow, freezing rain, snow and blowing snow, or a combination of events) is expected to meet or exceed local winter weather advisory criteria in the next 12 to 36 hours but stay below warning criteria. Criteria for snow is 3 inches or more in 12 hours or less covering at least 50 percent of the zone or encompassing most of the population. Use "mid-point" of snowfall range to trigger advisory (i.e 2 to 4 inches of snow = advisory). Criteria for ice is any ice accumulation less than 1/4 inch over at least 50 percent of the zone or encompassing most of the population. Winter Weather Advisory can also be issued for black ice. This is optional.  These can also be issued for impact (e.g. morning / evening commute). (Source: https://www.weather.gov/pbz/winterterms#:~:text=Use "mid-point" of snowfall range to trigger advisory,be issued for black ice.)

It could be successfully argued that they knew as soon as last night that there was a 0% chance of 2” for the majority of the county, including the part most people commute to, as evidenced by the probabilistic map they themselves posted to social media. They have other products like the special weather statement for a quick inch that impacts the morning/evening rush.

1 hour ago, blackngoldrules said:

Well, my girlfriend lives in Bessmer, which is near New Castle. She said, "it looks like a snow globe there. Easily 2 inches so far." Lucky. If it works out, I may move up there. Lol I was with her over the weekend and she got about 2 or 3 inches while I was there Sunday night into Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Real nice 3 hours in Cranberry - about 2” that mostly fell in 2 hours.

Missed the first batch to the north, and that warm surge shut things off earlier than I would have liked. Roads cleared up pretty quick too.