• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

I mean this is the difference a day makes for this threat. A week away this thing could go anyway at this point.

Crazy we can't seem to beat down that ridging in the east even a little bit. Would make a world of difference for our chances that's for sure. I agree though, pretty big changes run to run so nothing set in stone.

GEFS average is 3-4" for the Wednesday event, which would happen early and in marginal temperatures.  SREF plumes average closer to 2" and it's actually been dropping the last four runs.

Like what we saw early this morning, that probably means it's more like a "Snain" (or white rain) and the roads may remain clear, especially if treated.

The NAM depicts a big old dryslot, which certainly isn't unprecedented.  No doubt that would cut totals considerably because on the backend of that dry slot is nothing but rain.  I think the SREF blend (which includes the ARW) is picking up on this, as well, hence the lower figures.

The frontogenic forcing looks great on paper, it's just a matter of whether we see dry air intrusion that cuts the initial band.

3 minutes ago, north pgh said:

If the long term GFS holds it is going to be mighty cold later next week.:shiver:

Yep and most of the storms are east of us for a change. Hopefully other guidance catches on because I'm sick of the mud!! Just had to give my one dog a bath because of the mud.

16 minutes ago, TimB said:

Love when the 18z GFS does 18z GFS things. That fantasy storm that ushers in the brutal cold would make nearly everyone in the northeast and mid Atlantic happy.

Idk the Euro hinted at this too yesterday. It may not last long but we could get a good period coming up here.

20 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Well hopefully this can trend better but man just north of the city gets hit hard on the NAM

Tf3UufC.png

Looks right to me lol

:facepalm:

Everything riding on where that frontogenetic band sets up. Seems like it's been slowly ticking North so wouldn't shock me if NAM is right about placement but little over zealous with amounts. Still time, placement of that feature is a short range thing, if we keep it close still a chance for a good bust during nowcast time.

9 hours ago, TimB said:

HRRR is losing this one too. It’s over.

Not liking the trends here, everything seems to be leaning towards the best thump being just north of Allegheny County. Still a lot of uncertainty though. 

NW of the city (sometimes way NW) is going to be favored in this pattern, but you'd think we could get something being so close to the boundary. 00z GFS provides some hope for that, but even that changes so drastically it's hard to put much faith.

55 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Not liking the trends here, everything seems to be leaning towards the best thump being just north of Allegheny County. Still a lot of uncertainty though. 

NW of the city (sometimes way NW) is going to be favored in this pattern, but you'd think we could get something being so close to the boundary. 00z GFS provides some hope for that, but even that changes so drastically it's hard to put much faith.

It's near impossible to trust anything in this pattern.

Granted, it's the fantasy range so hardly worth analyzing, but even when the thermal boundary sets up in Northern Alabama/Georgia, the GFS still wants to cut the storm to our west.  It's pretty laughable at this point.

We're just on the wrong side of the boundary this year with everything.  It's probably safe to assume all viable threats will cut until they don't.  No blocking + southeast ridge, absent a well-timed TPV interaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwilson said:

It's near impossible to trust anything in this pattern.

Granted, it's the fantasy range so hardly worth analyzing, but even when the thermal boundary sets up in Northern Alabama/Georgia, the GFS still wants to cut the storm to our west.  It's pretty laughable at this point.

We're just on the wrong side of the boundary this year with everything.  It's probably safe to assume all viable threats will cut until they don't.  No blocking + southeast ridge, absent a well-timed TPV interaction.

Yeah, unfortunately the mean trough has been a bit west of what the NWS hinted at this fall.

I agree though, until we get that big banana high to setup over S. Quebec, it's likely more of the same.