• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wish I could storm chase full time. A lifelong dream of mine. Maybe one day.

The place to chase for anything incredible Nor'easter for snow is Worcester. It somehow works out for them every time. Boston a close second. Boston is never in the "death band" but ends up with 2' plus anyway. Third after Boston is Islip Airport here on LI. Somehow that area gets in on any good one that hits LI. Plenty of hotels! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The place to chase for anything incredible Nor'easter for snow is Worcester. It somehow works out for them every time. Boston a close second. Boston is never in the "death band" but ends up with 2' plus anyway. Third after Boston is Islip Airport here on LI. Somehow that area gets in on any good one that hits LI. Plenty of hotels! 

I follow all your guys nor'easters like a hawk. Always wanted to chase one right on the water to get the maximum winds.

Don or anyone able to find the data, surprised not to see any dates from late Jan 1977 (the infamous Buffalo blizzard) in that list, what were the amounts then? I remember seeing news stories (out of Buffalo as I lived in range of WBEN etc) talking about six feet of snow and the city cut off etc. Was it more of a wind factor with that, or do you find any missing days there (probably 26th-31st Jan and possibly 1st-2nd Feb). Maybe it evades the list by spreading out a lot of snowfall in 12" type amounts over five days? 

Looking at that list, I think the Jan 1902 and March 1936 storms were probably entirely synoptic and not lake effect (based on Toronto having similar record amounts on those days, and also inspection of historical weather maps), and the Jan 11 1982 storm was probably a mix of 6-8" of storm snowfall and subsequent lake effect. 

50 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Don or anyone able to find the data, surprised not to see any dates from late Jan 1977 (the infamous Buffalo blizzard) in that list, what were the amounts then? I remember seeing news stories (out of Buffalo as I lived in range of WBEN etc) talking about six feet of snow and the city cut off etc. Was it more of a wind factor with that, or do you find any missing days there (probably 26th-31st Jan and possibly 1st-2nd Feb). Maybe it evades the list by spreading out a lot of snowfall in 12" type amounts over five days? 

Looking at that list, I think the Jan 1902 and March 1936 storms were probably entirely synoptic and not lake effect (based on Toronto having similar record amounts on those days, and also inspection of historical weather maps), and the Jan 11 1982 storm was probably a mix of 6-8" of storm snowfall and subsequent lake effect. 

I read somewhere only a foot or so fell from the sky but there was feet of powder on the lake that got blown into the land. The wind was really the story in that one and the duration. 

• Like 2