• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What other way is there to measure? I dig out 5 feet around each side to prevent drifting onto board. My total was lower then surrounding locations despite being in better spot based on radar loop. 

Maybe move the board to the top of the existing snow after each 6 hr measurement? 

• Like 1

From NWS

This measurement should be taken minimally once-a-day but can be taken up to four times a day, (every 6 hours) and should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) since the last snowfall observation. Snowfall amounts can be measured hourly or at any interval as long as the snow measurement board is NOT cleared more frequently than once every 6 hours. If you are not available to watch snow accumulation at all times of the day and night, use your best estimate, based on a measurement of snowfall at the scheduled time of observation along with knowledge of what took place during the past 24 hours

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, wkd said:

Maybe move the board to the top of the existing snow after each 6 hr measurement? 

100% correct.   For larger snows, keep snow board at the top of existing snow pack to avoid a “stadium effect” and inflation of accumulated snow.    

Let me add, I’m not doubting the big numbers posted.  Just wanted to post the correct way to measure.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Zero doubt BW’s numbers are accurate. He’s meticulous with this stuff. The pics and videos speak for themselves IMO along with the other regional observations.

Um did u see where he measured with the snowboard . His numbers are inflated some I hate to say 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

27 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I'm guessing that white vinyl fence is 6 ft high? If so, the pic of you by your shed shows only about 18 inches of fence showing. That says to me that, even with compaction, you have/had at least 4 feet of snow in your backyard.

It doesn't make sense to measure the final compacted total and call that the snow total. That wouldn't be representative of the effort put into clearing and maintaining roads, parking lots, driveways etc, if 7 feet fell but compacted into to 4 feet.

Thus you need some measurement standard to better represent what actually fell, and that is measuring every 6 hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:
Breakdown of measurements

1.3" 11/17
4.6" 8 PM 11/17
6.5" 2 AM 11/18
21.5" 815 AM 11/18
22.9" 2:45 PM 11/18
11.3" 8:45 PM 11/18
5.6" 2:45 AM 11/19

Storm Total: 73.7"

I don't think anyone is questioning your snowfall totals.  Seems there is some question of measurement methods.  I'm sure all of the snow weenies (including me) are envious and greatly appreciate your enthusiasm.  You must be exhausted..  Thanks for giving us a vicarious experience.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:
Breakdown of measurements

1.3" 11/17
4.6" 8 PM 11/17
6.5" 2 AM 11/18
21.5" 815 AM 11/18
22.9" 2:45 PM 11/18
11.3" 8:45 PM 11/18
5.6" 2:45 AM 11/19

Storm Total: 73.7"

I’m not saying you didn’t measure that anmount ,  all I’m saying is the way you did it inflates the totals a bit.  Think about it 

• Like 1

Just now, rgwp96 said:

I’m not saying you didn’t measure that anmount ,  all I’m saying is the way you did it inflates the totals a bit.  Think about it 

You can’t put the snowboard on top of the snow it will just sink in. His area also didn’t look that prone to wind. If he cleared  out around it it should be OK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, USCG RS said:

Emergency Management POV: Clean your roofs when you can do so safely. This type of weight will collapse roofs. 

Likewise: remember service drops (electric inputs to house from the pole) are live and not insulated. Be very careful around them. 

Not insulated?  That would, in my mind, mean bare wires.

Just now, rgwp96 said:

Lol what .  So he cleared his whole back yard . Are you kidding me ?  

He’s not in a hurricane. If he cleared 5’ around it as he claimed that won’t be an issue. You think he’s just Measuring a drift? :lol:  I know where you are coming from, but if he claimed he cleared around it as he said, I don’t see an issue. Even Reed had a depth of 50” last night at 6:30 and it wasn’t done snowing. If you measure every 6 hrs, those numbers make sense to me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1