• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

13.2" since last measure, wiping at 215. 47.1" so far.

So still seeing 3" rates it seems. Radar showed some slowing in the last hour or so, but now it looks like the band is edging slightly North with heavier returns filling in ready to roll through Hamburg again. 5 FEET is looking likely.

OK, Buffalo is not getting demolished, HAMBURG is getting demolished. Wow 34 inches, in the first night! This may end up being WORSE than 2014!

Wait just a minute! Hamburg has 47 inches ALREADY? Did I read that last post correctly? Four feet of snow. That would be fantastically EPIC shoveling! I wish I was up there right now! I'd show those folks how to shovel snow! NO ONE digs deep snow like the Jebman!

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

Question for people in Hamburg area: Isnt that snowpack compacting? Even though Hamburg has received 47 inches, hasnt the pack compacted to merely three feet? Is this why where Timmer is at, the snow looks only three feet deep?

I am not there but typically compaction is pretty quick. Lake effect ratios can be over 20. Not as high this time though because the lake  is very warm. Perhaps we dont see the dramatic compaction of like 25 to 1 ratios. 

Someone up there can give us the real dope on whats happening on the ground tho rn

In all respect to Jeb walking, I have called this activity "Wethafella Walking. " At the time, Wethafella was a retired, or nearly retired guy from Boston who went out on fun walks during blizzard conditions in Boston, back in the days when I was relatively new to the forums.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Question for people in Hamburg area: Isnt that snowpack compacting? Even though Hamburg has received 47 inches, hasnt the pack compacted to merely three feet? Is this why where Timmer is at, the snow looks only three feet deep?

Yep the more snow falls the more it compacts. This also isn't the typical dry LES, its very wet. Snow depth is 35-40" in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I am not there but typically compaction is pretty quick. Lake effect ratios can be over 20. Not as high this time though because the lake  is very warm. Perhaps we dont see the dramatic compaction of like 25 to 1 ratios. 

Someone up there can give us the real dope on whats happening on the ground tho rn

These ratios are lower than 1:20

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marsman said:

Never forget.... snowball man. '95 Giants-Chargers - this is likely one of the reasons for the move:

054_giants_fan-300x300.webp

LOL I remember thinking at the time how that dude looked like an old guy to me now he looks like a kid.  Amazing the perception of age of a 12 year old.  I believe that guy ended up fired from his job and won a huge suit 10 or so years later vs his company 

12 minutes ago, Chinook said:

In all respect to Jeb walking, I have called this activity "Wethafella Walking. " At the time, Wethafella was a retired, or nearly retired guy from Boston who went out on fun walks during blizzard conditions in Boston, back in the days when I was relatively new to the forums.

I really enjoyed his posting, during big snows in the Northeast Blizzards. They get epic snow rates there too.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yep the more snow falls the more it compacts. This also isn't the typical dry LES, its very wet. Snow depth is 35-40" in my backyard.

CONGRATULATIONS are in order.

Take a good look at that radar. You got a hell of a lot more snow on the way where that came from.

Reed Timmer just took a snow reading in Hamburg, he reports 44 inches on the ground, he said they might get three more feet by the time the storm ends on Sunday, he said they might have 80 inches by that time. Absolutely MIND-BOGGLING stuff. Just unbelievable. I'd be digging snow for days and days and days. I'd be beside myself with pure joy, and awake for days on Red Bull

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Chinook said:

And usually with quite a bit of Crown Royal in him. Here’s to many more, Jerry! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jebman said:

CONGRATULATIONS are in order.

Take a good look at that radar. You got a hell of a lot more snow on the way where that came from.

Reed Timmer just took a snow reading in Hamburg, he reports 44 inches on the ground, he said they might get three more feet by the time the storm ends on Sunday, he said they might have 80 inches by that time. Absolutely MIND-BOGGLING stuff. Just unbelievable. I'd be digging snow for days and days and days.

I walked 1.2 miles to go meet him at the gas station and he already left. Dude is a maniac driving around in this.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:15 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Good to hear from you Scott, hope all is well! We need to meet up for wings again! 

Heck yeah we do! I wish I was up there for this one my man. We want to travel next year, so we may be up in your neck of the woods. I’ll hit you up! Enjoy the mountains of snow :maprain:

• Like 2