• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 19-21st nor’easter threat

George001

Based on what I’m seeing on the models I think there could be a very real chance we see our first snow in SNE next weekend. This Wednesday is a sneaky threat as well, as it has trended towards more aggressive secondary redevelopment with the low (Miller B). If it were mid winter I would be very excited about the mid week threat, but the pattern is progressive with no blocking so I’m thinking it’s a rainstorm for us. The pattern next weekend looks better on the models, with a much more amplified trough. Looking at the surface map it looks like a Miller A nor’easter, and would bring a few inches of snow verbatim. Nothing too big.

However, the H5 tells a different story…. 

image.png

• Weenie 4

image.thumb.png.d22cba1929be17dac15a2a084d06ac61.pngThis pattern looks really interesting. There is a very strong western ridge and a very potent northern branch. All that northern energy digging into the Midwest makes me think there is some potential for the Miller A being shown right now to turn into a Miller B. Some other models are showing suppression, but I’m not really buying that. There are several factors on the 12z Euro arguing against suppression. 

1. Look how far west that western ridge is, it’s centered about 200 miles west of ideal for a 40/70 track. In fact, it’s so far west it argues that the risk is for an inland runner if anything. 

2. How poleward the western ridge is, it’s so poleward it extends all the way into the North Pole. Whatever northern energy there is will likely be digging aggressively.

3. El Niño is nowhere to be found. The northern energy diving down in central Canada gets down to 504 isobars, and the isobars are very tightly packed. That energy’s origin is the North Pole. The Jet stream just doesn’t get that far north in El Niño. La Niña is in full control, which argues against a southern stream dominant solution.

disclaimer- if the blocking doesn’t strengthen, it might rain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So all these weenies for poor George lol…so there’s no system in that timeframe?  

It has shown up a couple times on various model runs, but it doesn't have anything close to widespread ensemble support. Certainly nothing thread-worthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

George, are you ready to take a shot at the Black Friday Blaster?

Hell yeah, this threat won’t pan out (like many here said, I jumped the gun creating this thread) but the overnight guidance trended towards a Miller B for the next threat. The EPS is showing early and aggressive secondary redevelopment, with a low strong enough to potentially create its own cold air.