Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

don’t waste your time.

3 hours ago, ChiTownSnow said:

after the time wasted on the Christmas "blizzard"  this is nothing..  

the December event was in a pattern conducive for possible snowstorm. The pattern here is conducive for showers and thunderstorms.

10 hours ago, ChiTownSnow said:

So they say.  

Just because it missed us to the east with it's main accumulations does not it mean it didn't happen. Could also add one of the most impactful 1-3" snows given the wind and cold associated with it over a wide area I've seen in some time. So of course, it leaves us with;what could have been.

1 hour ago, Baum said:

Just because it missed us to the east with it's main accumulations does not it mean it didn't happen. Could also add one of the most impactful 1-3" snows given the wind and cold associated with it over a wide area I've seen in some time. So of course, it leaves us with;what could have been.

I was speaking about the current/upcoming pattern in that comment.    

All good

5 hours ago, Baum said:

Not directed at you…but why are people’s expectations so low in our subforum? Even for the locations that got a bit more than 1-3” in the pre-Christmas storm, the snow melted by New Years. So, it was yet another disappointment for all. Yes, we had a little bit of snow and short lived blizzard conditions in some areas…but it’s winter. Yes, it was cold…but it’s winter. Yes, we had a White Christmas. That’s good, but it’s what winter should be - and it’s not like we had an exceptional December before then. So, having a White Christmas unfortunately ended up only being a consolation prize amid a sea of crap.

And, now, even after a week of decent cold which finally froze the lakes and ponds, it will all be undone in 3 days…and you’ll start seeing puddles on the lakes and dirty melting snow…yet again.

Why can’t we just admit this, together? There’s no need to protect and defend our horrible climo.

Many of us are clearly frustrated by yet another horrendous winter - and we have every right to be. Why do so many people keep insisting on polishing turds, and fighting back? Let’s just accept it.

We need to stop comparing things to climo - there are certain absolute standards for what winter should be. When Hoosier wakes up every morning over the last 60 days and never sees the grass covered with snow AT ALL, it means our climo is beyond horrible. Of course this extreme form of crap doesn’t happen every year…but the fact that it can even happen at all is horrendous. Even if grass showed on 30 of these 60 days, it would be bad. But zero days - it’s beyond comprehension.

We need to let people call things what they are, and stop sugar coating. The same thing is true out East this year - and they have every right to be frustrated like we do. You’d think we could all agree on this and drown our sorrows and commiserate together on this…but yet people keep fighting back and defending. Our bar is so low these days, that it’s underground. We don’t deserve this. 

Let’s just be ok with saying that we all love winter in different ways…and it sucks when we don’t get to experience it. The other 9 months can be whatever it wants to be…but DJF should be sacred. There - I said it. 

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Not directed at you…but why are people’s expectations so low in our subforum? Even for the locations that got a bit more than 1-3” in the pre-Christmas storm, the snow melted by New Years. So, it was yet another disappointment for all. Yes, we had a little bit of snow and short lived blizzard conditions in some areas…but it’s winter. Yes, it was cold…but it’s winter. Yes, we had a White Christmas. That’s good, but it’s what winter should be - and it’s not like we had an exceptional December before then. So, having a White Christmas unfortunately ended up only being a consolation prize amid a sea of crap.

Why can’t we just admit this, together? There’s no need to protect and defend our horrible climo.

Many of us are clearly frustrated by yet another horrendous winter - and we have every right to be. Why do so many people keep insisting on polishing turds, and fighting back? Let’s just accept it.

We need to stop comparing things to climo - there are certain absolute standards for what winter should be. When Hoosier wakes up every morning over the last 60 days and never sees the grass covered with snow AT ALL, it means our climo is beyond horrible. Of course this extreme form of crap doesn’t happen every year…but the fact that it can even happen at all is horrendous. Even if grass showed on 30 of these 60 days, it would be bad. But zero days - it’s beyond comprehension.

We need to let people call things what they are, and stop sugar coating. The same thing is true out East this year - and they have every right to be frustrated like we do. You’d think we could all agree on this and drown our sorrows and commiserate together on this…but yet people keep fighting back and defending. Our bar is so low these days, that it’s underground. We don’t deserve this. 

I'm really not sure who's defending this winter. Every single snow lover on here that I can think of -even the ones that acknowledge that statistically, this winter outcome is completely within the normal envelope of possibilities- has admitted that this winter sucks balls. 

What I don't get is that the last like twelve times you've made this post, the exact same thing happens: a couple of people offer real, accurate, climatological data that clearly shows that we cannot expect wall-to-wall snowcover in our winters here. Is this winter really that horrendous? Of course it sucks, but is this winter such an incredible anomaly? Why is it that you relentlessly keep confusing your expectations based on a postcard Christmas with real climo? I can tell you right now that I love snow as much -if not more- than you do. But my brother, we do not live in Quebec. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I'm really not sure who's defending this winter. Every single snow lover on here that I can think of -even the ones that acknowledge that statistically, this winter outcome is completely within the normal envelope of possibilities- has admitted that this winter sucks balls. 

What I don't get is that the last like twelve times you've made this post, the exact same thing happens: a couple of people offer real, accurate, climatological data that clearly shows that we cannot expect wall-to-wall snowcover in our winters here. Is this winter really that horrendous? Of course it sucks, but is this winter such an incredible anomaly? Why is it that you relentlessly keep confusing your expectations based on a postcard Christmas with real climo? I can tell you right now that I love snow as much -if not more- than you do. But my brother, we do not live in Quebec. 

Baum defended the pre-Christmas storm, and it sent me over the edge. Sorry Baum - not personal of course. You just happened to make the post that sums up the issue .

I constantly see people on this forum saying that this winter (and actually every winter after 2014-15) were just a fact of life and/or “just a part of our climo”. But that doesn’t make it better. Why are we trying to rationalize how bad it is?

It’s bad enough that the general public does this, but we shouldn’t do this here. What’s the point of commiserating with like-minded people? 

I never said we need feet of snow and constant subzero temps like in Quebec. But lakes and ponds should be frozen and there should be snow on the ground, without anxiety of when the melt will happen. But in our area, the melt is always around the corner. Let’s just admit this, and drown our sorrows together. It’s so exhausting, but I need to stay here due to family and job. When you love something and have other issues and stress going on, it’s hard to balance it all 24/7. Every so often, I need to vent. And, of course, no “normal” warm weather lovers can relate…which is why I’m here. :snowman:

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Baum defended the pre-Christmas storm, and it sent me over the edge. Sorry Baum - not personal of course. You just happened to make the post that sums up the issue .

I constantly see people on this forum saying that this winter (and actually every winter after 2014-15) were just a fact of life and/or “just a part of our climo”. But that doesn’t make it better. Why are we trying to rationalize how bad it is?

It’s bad enough that the general public does this, but we shouldn’t do this here. What’s the point of commiserating with like-minded people? 

I never said we need feet of snow and constant subzero temps like in Quebec. But lakes and ponds should be frozen and there should be snow on the ground, without anxiety of when the melt will happen. But in our area, the melt is always around the corner. Let’s just admit this, and drown our sorrows together. It’s so exhausting, but I need to stay here due to family and job. When you love something and have other issues and stress going on, it’s hard to balance it all 24/7. Every so often, I need to vent. And, of course, no “normal” warm weather lovers can relate…which is why I’m here. :snowman:

I really do get where you're coming from dude, but even so, it's apparent that you have strictly next-level expectations. You're right, winters since about GHD II have been pretty boring save a few memorable stretches. But even so, we're not rationalizing how bad it is now, that's just how it is. The last few years are how it's supposed to be. Unless you plan on moving (which you can't) or having a winter performance related stroke, you have to accept that. 

Hopefully one of these years we'll get something again. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I really do get where you're coming from dude, but even so, it's apparent that you have strictly next-level expectations. You're right, winters since about GHD II have been pretty boring save a few memorable stretches. But even so, we're not rationalizing how bad it is now, that's just how it is. The last few years are how it's supposed to be. Unless you plan on moving (which you can't) or having a winter performance related stroke, you have to accept that. 

Hopefully one of these years we'll get something again. 

I hear you.

A co-worker of mine is a diehard Bears fan. I mean over the top, crazy, and intense. And, of course, the past several years have been bad for the Bears. Instead of trying to explain to them to not worry about it, and minimize their feelings, I try to listen and empathize with them. It’s not my role to diminish their love for the Bears. Who knows - maybe it came from a father-son bond, or some other reason. That’s my point - we should empathize with each other and bond over our love of winter - and not argue or minimize it. Sometimes people just want to know that someone can understand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I hear you.

A co-worker of mine is a diehard Bears fan. I mean over the top, crazy, and intense. And, of course, the past several years have been bad for the Bears. Instead of trying to explain to them to not worry about it, and minimize their feelings, I try to listen and empathize with them. It’s not my role to diminish their love for the Bears. Who knows - maybe it came from a father-son bond, or some other reason. That’s my point - we should empathize with each other and bond over our love of winter - and not argue or minimize it. Sometimes people just want to know that someone can understand. 

But the Bears have the potential to live up to his expectations.  Winter here cannot live up to your expectations.  just sayin.    

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I bet Beavis would have thoroughly loved the Midwest winters of the late '70s. I'm not sure if he's old enough that he remembers them from his childhood or what (I'm about ten years too young for that) but one of my other hobbies is railfanning, and I've often seen photos from that era of train crews battling huge piles of snow. In fact, those winters contributed to crippling the already struggling Milwaukee Road (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad) leading to its demise in the mid-'80s.

I could see how someone who came of age in that era could get the impression that was "normal" climo for a 40-44°N winter.

My main interest in weather is severe local storms (and chasing them) so I'm here to discuss that. Of course that requires warm, humid conditions to thrive, so to me a Wisconsin winter is something to be endured/tolerated only because it leads into spring chase season (which hasn't exactly been blockbuster in most recent years, either). I can appreciate a good photogenic snowfall or ice event, but not if I have to travel in it and I certainly could do without my constantly bleeding/itching knuckles on days like today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Very well said. I feel like I love snow as much or more than beavis. I just don't understand the expectations and the constant complaining. I took a beautiful Winter walk the other day and plan to take another one today. Maybe get out and enjoy Winter while it's here instead of worrying that a melt is around the corner.  And yes, outside of Minneapolis I think everybody has complained about this Winter. Nobody's acting like it's good.  We've done better here compared to a lot of others on the subforum but I have voiced over and over that it's not a great winter.  I've also said on multiple occasions that this is the perfect winter for beavis to actually complain. But Beavis has been complaining about the same thing for years even when there's been good times. Chicago had 2 feet of snow on the ground just 2 years ago yet if you listened to him youd think they were snowless. I almost fell over when he even had a few complaints about 2014.  Sometimes the mainstream media likes to make Chicago sound like Fargo, which is a little ridiculous. But likewise it seems as though beavis makes Chicago sound like Saint Louis which is equally ridiculous. I only hope the next time Chicago gets hit he actually goes out and enjoys Winter instead of staring at his computer to find the next torch and live in fear of it.  Side note, the Christmas snowstorm was one of the most impactful 2 to 3" snowfalls I've ever seen here in terms of actual conditions. Kind of like the opposite of when you get a 6 or 7" snowfall in the Spring that only creates a layer of slush on the roads.

• Like 2

I'm with Beavis. Every year has the chance to be a good snowy winter, regardless of climo, and being a snow weenie, recent years have sucked. It just gets annoying when people come back with well with what you're expecting, it's not climo. Well not having anything  big to track this winter or previous winters isn't like our climo either so let us snow lovers complain without the annoying climo comeback. Yea sure your stats make your point but still we got 3/4 months to get snow and when we don't it sucks, period lol. So let us complain, and we won't make fun of your winter snow walks with 2 inches on the ground.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm with Beavis. Every year has the chance to be a good snowy winter, regardless of climo, and being a snow weenie, recent years have sucked. It just gets annoying when people come back with well with what you're expecting, it's not climo. Well not having anything  big to track this winter or previous winters isn't like our climo either so let us snow lovers complain without the annoying climo comeback. Yea sure your stats make your point but still we got 3/4 months to get snow and when we don't it sucks, period lol. So let's us complain, and we won't make fun of your winter snow walks with 2 inches on the ground.

You are NOTHING like beavis. For one thing you spend winters in Florida   and don't like cold. Cold and snowcover are far more important to him than snowstorms, he is very similar to me.  Oh and by the even tho theres been more than 2" of snow on the ground for 2 weeks, 2"+ depth plus some cold (i forget what) is the threshold for some sort of beavis winter day stat he concocted. So today is definitely a beavis approved day here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm with Beavis. Every year has the chance to be a good snowy winter, regardless of climo, and being a snow weenie, recent years have sucked. It just gets annoying when people come back with well with what you're expecting, it's not climo. Well not having anything  big to track this winter or previous winters isn't like our climo either so let us snow lovers complain without the annoying climo comeback. Yea sure your stats make your point but still we got 3/4 months to get snow and when we don't it sucks, period lol. So let us complain, and we won't make fun of your winter snow walks with 2 inches on the ground.

fakest rant ever.

• Like 4