Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I wonder what Canton got Feb 1, 2015?

No direct report for Canton on the DTX list (that's why I used '05), but it was even bigger ofc than '05. Snow map combined with surrounding reports looks like it was a solid +/-14 incher here so I know it can snow here when it wants to. Looks like downriver again was the jack-zone perhaps with help from Lk. Erie?  

ANN ARBOR               M  14.1

NORTHVILLE              M  14.2

snow201502021248.png

9 hours ago, mollydog said:

Honestly, I do not like this year. I have seen all the outlooks and those analog years do NOT match up with this year overall. 2000-01 was wet and cold all year. Same with 76-77. Drought begets drought. I hate going into winter in a drought. Look at this system today. Just completely moisture starved as it headed for us. I know it wasn’t supposed to be much but it literally fizzled on arrival. Hope I am wrong! Good luck to you in Canton!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll give you those two. I thought all those juicy rain makers last autumn would yield some good systems in season but nope. Trying to see if the opposite can happen if we go into winter dry-ish, do we then flip wet when it matters for snow? I've seen both work out. In 81-82 cold & wet led into cold & snowy. In 13-14 first half of October was so mild it looked like winter didn't want to happen, then we got cold in Nov but the OHV was scoring snowstorms while we were sunny and dry. 

13 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

No direct report for Canton on the DTX list (that's why I used '05), but it was even bigger ofc than '05. Snow map combined with surrounding reports looks like it was a solid +/-14 incher here so I know it can snow here when it wants to. Looks like downriver again was the jack-zone perhaps with help from Lk. Erie?  

ANN ARBOR               M  14.1

NORTHVILLE              M  14.2

snow201502021248.png

They never updated the map with final totals. But yes. THAT storm was downrivers best in our stretch of great winters.

Wyandotte 16.5

DTW 16.7

Brownstown 17.0

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mollydog said:

Honestly, I do not like this year. I have seen all the outlooks and those analog years do NOT match up with this year overall. 2000-01 was wet and cold all year. Same with 76-77. Drought begets drought. I hate going into winter in a drought. Look at this system today. Just completely moisture starved as it headed for us. I know it wasn’t supposed to be much but it literally fizzled on arrival. Hope I am wrong! Good luck to you in Canton!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand concerns about drought. And honestly it's been a long time since we've had a dry year like this, so I guess you could say we were "due" . I always stand by the fact that Winter is a different season. Storm tracks and what not are different. While there's certainly no rhyme or reason, an interesting stat is that 6 of the 7 driest autumns on record were followed by wetter than average winters. But then, of the remaining 13 driest autumns that rounded out the top 20, only 1 additional was a wetter than normal Winter. Fwiw, this autumn will absolutely be on the top 7 driest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1