• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022-2023 Promises Plenty of Mid Season Mayhem

40/70 Benchmark

• 40/70 Benchmark changed the title to Winter 2022-2023 Promises Plenty of Mid Season Mayhem

As always great work, I hope you are right about January. The mention of a once a generation type event with the potential to halt travel for a while caught my eye. The combination of factors you mentioned, with the drastic increase in water vapor due to the volcanic eruption last year, the frigid Canadian air and very mild ssts all creating the perfect storm for something big. Those same mild ssts that will likely screw us closer to the coast early could end up helping come mid winter before the blocking breaks down in Feb. It looks like you are thinking the large scale winter pattern will be an overall average East coast winter, with lots of ups and downs, no sustained snow blitz but no sustained blowtorch either. There isn’t an overwhelming blockbuster signal like 2014-2015, but there isn’t an overwhelming mild signal like the super nino in 2015-2016 so that seems reasonable, maybe a little less snow than last year in the Boston area and more snow NW like your area, Worcester ect. 

I would like to ask, you did mention that the way the month of November is progressing worried you about your analog composite somewhat I believe it was a week ago. If things were to deviate as a result of that, would that lead to more boom or more bust potential for this winter?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, George001 said:

As always great work, I hope you are right about January. The mention of a once a generation type event with the potential to halt travel for a while caught my eye. The combination of factors you mentioned, with the drastic increase in water vapor due to the volcanic eruption last year, the frigid Canadian air and very mild ssts all creating the perfect storm for something big. Those same mild ssts that will likely screw us closer to the coast early could end up helping come mid winter before the blocking breaks down in Feb. It looks like you are thinking the large scale winter pattern will be an overall average East coast winter, with lots of ups and downs, no sustained snow blitz but no sustained blowtorch either. There isn’t an overwhelming blockbuster signal like 2014-2015, but there isn’t an overwhelming mild signal like the super nino in 2015-2016 so that seems reasonable, maybe a little less snow than last year in the Boston area and more snow NW like your area, Worcester ect. 

I would like to ask, you did mention that the way the month of November is progressing worried you about your analog composite somewhat I believe it was a week ago. If things were to deviate as a result of that, would that lead to more boom or more bust potential for this winter?

I adjusted by adding a third 2020 and a 2010, and it made the discrepancy a bit more palatable. It's never going to be perfect...

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good morning 40/70 B. Well done. By reading your honest self evaluation of forecast vs result; I can sense that you have no future in politics. As always ….

This is how I feel...I honestly don't get the sentiment that I am dishonest about my results.

Thank you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ray your wife is a saint lol. What an effort. I need a few days to read it. :lol: I applaud your effort. 

Dude, I didn't know we were going to Miami/Bahamas until like Tuesday....I was shitting myself and hardly sleeping trying to bang that out. She was starting to get annoyed. That is why I didn't go more in depth on how the analog composite has done over the summer and how it looks for Novie. I may do a separate post on that when I get back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Dude, I didn't know we were going to Miami/Bahamas until like Tuesday....I was shitting myself and hardly sleeping trying to bang that out. She was starting to get annoyed. That is why I didn't go more in depth on how the analog composite has done over the summer and how it looks for Novie. I may do a separate post on that when I get back. 

There is not anyone in wx history going back to knickers days that has done a more in depth , longer , detailed outlook . Unless you feel like you absolutely have to get even more data out.. honestly what you put out was great . Take a breath . Step back and enjoy the fam 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There is not anyone in wx history going back to knickers days that has done a more in depth , longer , detailed outlook . Unless you feel like you absolutely have to get even more data out.. honestly what you put out was great . Take a breath . Step back and enjoy the fam 

Thanks, man. I feel like adding a third 2020 and a 2010 alleviated some of the issues that began emerging with the composite later in the fall.

The work of @OHweatherreally made it clear as to why it helped. I love coming to similar conclusions through different methodologies...its so cool and adds confidence. 

• Like 1