• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2022-2023 Winter Discussion

JoMo

This is such a fine line between the have and have nots.

Someone here is going to get a technical white christmas(1 inch on the ground at 7AM Christmas Day).

At this point, it comes down to when the storm actually forms and starts moving through, then we will know who gets lucky with a moderate band of snow and who doesn't, that will make all the difference as I think this will be a hit or miss kind of situation.

Also, gotta watch out for some brief sleet and freezing rain as the front is moving through, might make roads slick.

1 hour ago, StormChazer said:

I feel as if a picture is beginning to be painted.

All 3 of the global models(including the morning run of the Euro) have inched their way back into the Tulsa metro area and upped amounts in AR.

Also the 12Z run of the HRRR supports this (fwiw). Only the NAM is being a downer on this.

1671829200-YLUZNAcQr8Q.png

1671829200-mKXcjq7kUac.png

1671829200-4kXjwzcpdqs.png

Color me intrigued. If the afternoon high-res models continue to latch on, it maybe wagons up (slightly) with snowfall totals out here. But like Wx 24/7 was saying, this is going to be a crazy 36-48 hours for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, MUWX said:

I’d still heavily caution against getting your hopes but based on kuchera. The strong winds will be working hard against high ratios. Kuchera doesn’t factor that in 

I thought Kuchera only took into account the column temp below 500 mb? I don't think wind factors into any of the SLR equations at all. 

Still, though, I see where you're going. The wind is going to shred the dendrites and make them smaller, thus, harder to accumulate. 

57 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

I thought Kuchera only took into account the column temp below 500 mb? I don't think wind factors into any of the SLR equations at all. 

Still, though, I see where you're going. The wind is going to shred the dendrites and make them smaller, thus, harder to accumulate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockchalk83 said:

Yeah, as the tweet mentions the accumulation estimate should probably be somewhere between 10:1 and the Kuchera. Probably more like 12:1. That being said... the drier snow will still wring out any available moisture. One thing I have been doing is looking at the precip totals and sort of gauging based off that in combination with the snowfall outputs. 

17 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Also... just FYI... Wichita Police Department already urging non-essential traffic due to freezing drizzle they are receiving now. Roads are very slick apparently and numerous crashes are being reported. 

People are losing their minds. A little light freezing drizzle/snow grains. Winter time in Wichita.

This is probably more banter than anything but just saw this from NWS Cheyenne.  Mentions a flash freeze and heavy burst of snow:  

153 PM MST WED DEC 21 2022
Carbon County-

The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a

* Snow Squall Warning for...
Central Carbon County in south central Wyoming...

* Until 245 PM MST.

* At 151 PM MST, a dangerous snow squall was located 15 miles
northeast of Creston Junction, or 22 miles northwest of Rawlins,
moving east at 55 mph.

HAZARD...Flash freeze on roads. Intense bursts of heavy snow and
gusty winds leading to blowing snow and rapidly falling
visibility. Wind gusts greater than 50 mph could knock
down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Travel will become difficult and potentially dangerous
within minutes.

This includes Interstate 80 near Rawlins and roadways north of
Rawlins.

Locations impacted include...
Rawlins, Sinclair and Separation Lake.

TSA revising down their totals per their Decision Support page. Of course they have always been conservative on forecasting. https://www.weather.gov/tsa/dsp

Though it does make me wonder if they are either following the NAM or ICON model. The latter has halved the totals from yesterday's runs, especially on the southern edge. icon_asnow_scus_17.png

16 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Starting to see some very faint returns on radar. I think we’re gonna have a decent period of freezing drizzle before the snow starts. 

We have had light freezing drizzle/snow grains most of the day here in Central Kansas. It's the lift ahead of the front. Once that passes, it should be over.