Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Nicole

GaWx

43 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

As to Nicole not being a 'cane at landfall, probably true near the center, but if you noted that report from the space center further north (100 mph gusts above the surface), I think what happened was that strongest winds decoupled from the core when the storm straddled the coast, and were ejected north. So there was a hurricane aspect to the landfall, but very non-classical as to location of that remnant. How are storm surge outcomes north of the Cape? That might be another aspect that was better anticipated from hurricane Nicole than TS Nicole designations. It's sort of like the Sandy landfall in that what the storm was named could mislead some vulnerable coastal residents, in hindsight many thought that Sandy should have been retained as a hurricane to landfall. Some in storm surge situations might have (wrongly) surmised that Sandy wasn't even a hurricane any more, and let their guard down. This was widely discussed IIRC in the days after landfall. Also a storm with a 16' storm surge and 90 mph wind gusts could safely be called a hurricane for a few extra hours. 

This doesn't make any sense.  Having 100 MPH flight level winds does not make a storm a hurricane.  The lack of sustained 60+ MPH winds anywhere near the coast suggests this did not have 75 MPH sustained surface winds.  It is possible for a storm to be stronger aloft and weaker at the surface.  It is also possible for a storm to have weaker flight level winds and have the winds mix down better.  Nothing I am saying here downplays Nicole as a storm.

1 hour ago, Normandy said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Having 100 MPH flight level winds does not make a storm a hurricane.  The lack of sustained 60+ MPH winds anywhere near the coast suggests this did not have 75 MPH sustained surface winds.  It is possible for a storm to be stronger aloft and weaker at the surface.  It is also possible for a storm to have weaker flight level winds and have the winds mix down better.  Nothing I am saying here downplays Nicole as a storm.

What you describe is true of every tropical storm. Very rarely do rated winds verify, at least consistently. 

• Like 2

Way up here, I had two two hour+ long outages today. I've been getting bands of heavy showers this evening accompanied by very gusty winds as higher dewpoint air has displaced the wedged in air. There's been almost no thunder. We're under a tornado watch til 1AM. 

Charleston surge was up from 2 feet during yesterday morning's high tide  to 2.6 at this morning's high tide. The projected peak surge was 2-4 feet. So, it verified in the lower part of the range though there still was a good amount of surge flooding. Ft. Pulaski's high tide this morning included a surge of 2.9 feet that lead to Highway 80 and Tybee having a notable amount of flooding. That should end up the highest tide for this storm.

I'm near 1.5" for this storm, the third this season to give me rain/wind.

• Like 1