• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Nicole

GaWx

The 1PM Nicole advisory map showing tropical-storm force winds over the whole FL peninsula is just wrong.

FLZ041-047-054-059-064-141-147-092000-
EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
DAYTONA BEACH  HVY RAIN  71  69  93 N24G32    29.96F FOG
DELAND         RAIN      68  66  95 N16G23    29.98F FOG
JFK SPACE CTR  PTSUNNY   74  64  69 NE23G36   29.88F
TITUSVILLE     LGT RAIN  77  70  78 NE20G29   29.91F FOG
CAPE CANAVERAL RAIN      75  70  83 NE24G32   29.84F
PATRICK AFB    PTSUNNY   75  73  94 N30G37    29.83F
MELBOURNE      CLOUDY    74  71  91 N22G35    29.87F
VERO BEACH     RAIN      76  73  91 N29G37    29.81F

Summary of 12Z runs at FL landfall south to north for documentation purposes:

GFS, HWRF: Stuart
ICON, CMC: Vero Beach
HAFS: Sebastian
Euro: just south of Melbourne
UKMET, HMON, NAM: Melbourne

Stuart to Melbourne is 65 miles straight line

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Weather Mike said:

With that High pressure you think its going to allow it to all of a sudden head NW that quickly from now vs allow it to head almost due west then begin the NW track after landfall ? 

12Z UKMET is straight westerly til 4PM EST, when it has Nicole at the eastern end of Grand Bahama Island. Then it turns WNW from then through midnight. After that it turns NW til the 4AM landfall at Melbourne.

• Like 1

As long as it is near the E tip of Grand Bahama Island at the 4PM advisory, it wouldn't be tracking south of any of the models. It is only then when it would need to start turning WNW to not be tracking south of the models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The past is not predictive, but I recall him doing quite well with projecting Ian's intensity. 

There's an overall hyperbolic flair with him, but there's probably some potential upside on intensity compared to the official forecast.

You should read more and post less too

I cannot properly describe with words how eery and awe inspiring it is outside right now. Constant wind and rain. I can feel the power in the air, and  it is the same look and feel as when we got real hurricanes in the past. 

Outer bands keep popping up and hitting us, we’re in a zone with extremely exotic dynamics, near the boundary of the inner and outer band zones. The clouds are just roaring along at the speed of a car on the highway 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Now have Hurricane Nicole

WTNT62 KNHC 092258 CCA
TCUAT2

Hurricane Nicole Tropical Cyclone Update...Corrected
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL172022
600 PM EST Wed Nov 09 2022

Corrected header

...NICOLE BECOMES A HURRICANE WHILE MAKING LANDFALL ON GRAND BAHAMA 
ISLAND...

Recent observations from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate 
that Nicole has strengthened in to a hurricane.  The maximum winds 
are estimated to be 75 mph (120 km/h) with higher gusts. 

SUMMARY OF 600 PM EST...2300 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.6N 78.4W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM ENE OF FREEPORT 
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...980 MB...28.94 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Roberts

• GaWx changed the title to Hurricane Nicole

Just starting to cross the warmer core of Gulf stream, I would say Nicole reaches at least low end cat-2 at some point tonight, possibly mid-range cat-2, and also performs more of a curve north than model consensus, earlier was asking people what they thought of a grazing coastal track, possibly some inland movement now probable, but I think Nicole will try to stay over warm water as long as it can, could mean a landfall Jupiter to Melbourne. Never all that far inland, heads up NNW with enough of circulation over water to retain cat-1 intensity for quite a while, strong TS near Georgia coast in 36-42h. Long duration fetch means storm surge issues must be taken very seriously. This is now almost as strong as Sandy approaching NJ and Staten Island comes to mind. Were not the storm surge forecasts lowballed there? Or did people not take accurate warnings seriously? One or other as I recall. 

14 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Just starting to cross the warmer core of Gulf stream, I would say Nicole reaches at least low end cat-2 at some point tonight, possibly mid-range cat-2, and also performs more of a curve north than model consensus, earlier was asking people what they thought of a grazing coastal track, possibly some inland movement now probable, but I think Nicole will try to stay over warm water as long as it can, could mean a landfall Jupiter to Melbourne. Never all that far inland, heads up NNW with enough of circulation over water to retain cat-1 intensity for quite a while, strong TS near Georgia coast in 36-42h. Long duration fetch means storm surge issues must be taken very seriously. This is now almost as strong as Sandy approaching NJ and Staten Island comes to mind. Were not the storm surge forecasts lowballed there? Or did people not take accurate warnings seriously? One or other as I recall. 

Wtf?  Not close to Sandy strength.

18 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

While this isn't close to Sandy in size or strength, I do think with the duration and size of the wind field that the surge is being under forecasted.  There could definitely be areas that see 6-8' of storm surge. 

• Like 1