Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
8th Annual Mid-Atlantic Snowfall Contest

RodneyS

• WxUSAF unlocked this topic
For the 2022-23 snow season contest, we have 64 entrants, up from 59 in 2021-22. Assuming that none of last season's entrants changed their user names, 48 entrants this season are returnees and 16 are new.  Note that 2021-22 winner IUsedToHateCold is looking for a big snow season, after correctly foreseeing a rather run-of-the-mill season in 2021-22.  The average amount forecast for the four airports combined this season is 63.3 inches, with a median of  58.9 inches.

Here is the list, in ascending order of combined forecast snow. If you see any errors, please advise.

image.thumb.png.2f8d13f4f4503b4193e577ec7b239f17.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Here in TEXAS We go the F--k BIG or we go home.

BWI:  32.3"
DCA:  24.7"
IAD:  41.7"
RIC:  27.7"

Tiebreaker (SBY):  9.8"

I have told you all before and I'll say it again: This is going to be a catastrophically frigid and catastrophically snowy winter in the Washington Metropolitan Region. My figures may well turn out to be too conservative. It's going to be frackin' EPIC!!!

Dammit I am too late! TOO LATE! Well, I will still turn out to be correct.

Its gonna be the Orchard Park, NY Winter of all-time in the DC Region!

Don't you ever forget the Jebman told you first, when no one else believed in the Winter of 22-23!

• Like 2

I will keep track of your forecast, and will award you honorary membership in the Mid-Atlantic Snow Forecast Contest Hall of Fame, if your entry would have won.  In the meantime, mark your calendar for Friday, December 1, 2023, which will be the deadline for next year's contest. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Well this has been an easy contest for Rodney to run so far :lol: 

At this point, both you and I are wishing that we had low-balled @Little Village Wx. :) However, snow lovers who are Washington Post subscribers can console themselves by consulting their archives and reading a January 20, 1987 article written by Mary Jordan titled "Snow Hopes Dashed" (p. B1).  The article stated, among other things: " . . .(DC) residents were still waiting yesterday for the area's first measurable snowfall . . .  Rain and temperatures above freezing were expected during the rest of the week, the National Weather Service said."

Two days later, DCA recorded 10.8 inches of snow.  Three days after that was Super Bowl Sunday, and an overnight storm dropped another 9.2 inches of snow.  The Federal Government was closed on Monday, but Tuesday afternoon, January 27, 1987, produced perhaps the most epic traffic jam in DC history, as the 20 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature range of 9 to 30 at DCA proved too much for the (three?:cry:) DC snowplows to overcome during the PM rush hour. (I know because I was in that traffic jam.) When that snow was finally removed and things were back to normal, February 22-23 saw another two-day storm that dropped an additional 10.2 inches at DCA.

Am I saying that the above scenario will repeat this year? . . . Of course not, only Jebman would say that.:lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RodneyS said:

At this point, both you and I are wishing that we had low-balled @Little Village Wx. :) However, snow lovers who are Washington Post subscribers can console themselves by consulting their archives and reading a January 20, 1987 article written by Mary Jordan titled "Snow Hopes Dashed" (p. B1).  The article stated, among other things: " . . .(DC) residents were still waiting yesterday for the area's first measurable snowfall . . .  Rain and temperatures above freezing were expected during the rest of the week, the National Weather Service said."

Two days later, DCA recorded 10.8 inches of snow.  Three days after that was Super Bowl Sunday, and an overnight storm dropped another 9.2 inches of snow.  The Federal Government was closed on Monday, but Tuesday afternoon, January 27, 1987, produced perhaps the most epic traffic jam in DC history, as the 20 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature range of 9 to 30 at DCA proved too much for the (three?:cry:) DC snowplows to overcome during the PM rush hour. (I know because I was in that traffic jam.) When that snow was finally removed and things were back to normal, February 22-23 saw another two-day storm that dropped an additional 10.2 inches at DCA.

Am I saying that the above scenario will repeat this year? . . . Of course not, only Jebman would say that.:lol:

Good post.

Got bitter cold after that too. By then I was working out in PG County, happy to avoid DC traffic. 

• 2 weeks later...