Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2022

George BM

51 minutes ago, MacChump said:

There is no way that’s a PK

49 minutes ago, mappy said:

Jfc what a stressful end to that game 

I’m now glad I totally missed watching the second half. 

Had to deal with a teenage daughter having  boyfriend issues. Dad hat>>>>soccer game. 

Now on to the Netherlands

• Like 4

Just now, H2O said:

I’m now glad I totally missed watching the second half. 

Had to deal with a teenage daughter having  boyfriend issues. Dad hat>>>>soccer game. 

Now on to the Netherlands

That last 10 min of stoppage time is when it got really bad. So stressful. So many flops and falls that could have been called penalties and really fuck US up 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

That last 10 min of stoppage time is when it got really bad. So stressful. So many flops and falls that could have been called penalties and really fuck US up 

The ref was pretty lenient. He let some roughness go but kept the flow under control. He treated both sides equally, a fair game. I don't think we will here any complaints about the ref from either Iran or the US.

I never thought I could hold my breath for 9 minutes.

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

We are making progress. When we are playing well we can attack and possess with a technical ability we never had before. 
But…we don’t have good strikers so we fail to convert enough attacks into goals which makes every match a struggle.  On top of that we have several players not fully fit and no depth so seeing out close matches is ugly and scary. Those are just real limitations this squad has. But for  periods when healthy they can play very good soccer that we weren’t capable of in years past. 

22 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

yeah. a full groan at the bar I was at when he came in. 

By 2026 we need to develop more depth. We gave a very good 11 but we need to have more options to see out a match or in the event of injuries and card suspensions. If we can develop a handful of bench options the same quality as the current best 11 we could make a legit run.   

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

By 2026 we need to develop more depth. We gave a very good 11 but we need to have more options to see out a match or in the event of injuries and card suspensions. If we can develop a handful of bench options the same quality as the current best 11 we could make a legit run.   

It’s early, but I think they should have the expectation of at least quarterfinals if not semis in 2026.

23 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Does anyone know if Gio Renya is hurt/or in the doghouse?  I know he can’t play striker (Sargent had some moments today) but he has to find a place in the game.  Along with Aaronson.

This seems to be the big mystery with a lot of fans screaming for him to play

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s early, but I think they should have the expectation of at least quarterfinals if not semis in 2026.

On the one hand they’re one win away from the quarters right now. And I don’t think it’s out of the realm that they pull it off.  But on the other hand it’s really dangerous to set hard expectations on a World Cup unless you’re truly “elite” level like Brazil and Germany (although even they’ve fallen on some harder times recently).  So much is down to luck. So few matches. One goal often makes all the difference.  But I think we should be at a level by 2026 with the current player pool where that kind of run is not considered some crazy fluke.  

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

Does anyone know if Gio Renya is hurt/or in the doghouse?  I know he can’t play striker (Sargent had some moments today) but he has to find a place in the game.  Along with Aaronson.

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

This seems to be the big mystery with a lot of fans screaming for him to play

They are keeping a lid on it. GGG haters are using it to attack him. I’m not a GGG fanboy myself BUT applying all known facts it seems the most likely scenario is he isn’t healthy.

lets add it all up. GGG is very close with Reynas family. He clearly rates the kid and started him when healthy every opportunity. And it’s just flat ridiculous that anyone would rate Morris or even Aaronson over Reyna, even if you think GGG is a bonehead, that’s just next level stupid. Like how could that person remember to breathe stupid.  Also Reyna has been injured about 75% of the time the last 2 years!  Yes GGG banished Brooks for some obvious personal reasons but Brooks is aging, slow, made several costly mistakes, and was on the way out anyways.  That’s not close to the same as benching a young star that’s likely to be a central figure for the next decade (if the kid can stay healthy). 

Add all that up and the most logical explanation is he just isn’t fit. 

3 hours ago, yoda said:

It's going to be that way for all the WC games from now on.  Expect at least 5 minutes of added time to the end of games... it's what FIFA wants

I don't know anything about it one way or another, but I am curious why you believe that FIFA would want this?  They think its more exciting?

8 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I don't know anything about it one way or another, but I am curious why you believe that FIFA would want this?  They think its more exciting?

There was some quote about wanting to actually play 90 mins. This might help stop the time wasting and fake injuries if they actually add on the time wasted.  It can get REALLY bad. I’ve seen matches where a team wasted 15 mins of the second half and they only added a few mins of extra time. 

• mappy unpinned this topic