Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2022

George BM

20 hours ago, mappy said:

Downright lazy and terrible. I feel for Taylor’s family 

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/.amp/news/washington-commanders-safety-sean-taylor-jackie-memorial-installation-redskins-fedex-field

Maybe a bit of jumping the gun on my part. His daughter and rest of the family loved it. Hard to not go right to the negative when talking about the business/owner side of things with Washington but might just be wrong here. 

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

We have had much better fights in here. This one gets a 1 on a 1-10 scale. 

Good :lol: I'm honestly regretting I said anything at all, really. Just quietly disagree and move on...(goes against the grain of my generation and younger, but it's more peaceful nonetheless) And...there are people you learn not to argue with either, lolol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Did you really just have to diss your whole generation and those younger than you? What did that add to the post, just say that you should have moved on. 

Hey I dissed myself in the process, so...lol 

But upon further review, I guess it can sound a little offensive to make a "this generation" comment...as it can be seen as an overgeneralization. Although it's a bit of a gray area, as people often will just talk and joke about generational differences all the time! Attribute not being able to just disagree and move on as a a symptom of our generations just due to social media and the pitfalls that can come with it. (Btw I'm not saying you are...you strike me as someone who can stay above it. But there are plenty of others that have issues--as a whole we gotta learn how to disagree better)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I'm cautiously optimistic we win - going 3-1 USA.  If you told me we had to beat Iran and would advance (and have a small chance at winning the group outright), I'd take those odds.

100% with you on that. We definitely have it in us to do it, but it's always hard to break down teams who are looking to nullify any sort of attack and who aren't looking to attack in their own right.

If Iran gets a first goal of the match, then it's going to be grim viewing, but if we can somehow pick one up first then we may be able to slice them up as they come out of their shell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5-4-3DP said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/.amp/news/washington-commanders-safety-sean-taylor-jackie-memorial-installation-redskins-fedex-field

Maybe a bit of jumping the gun on my part. His daughter and rest of the family loved it. Hard to not go right to the negative when talking about the business/owner side of things with Washington but might just be wrong here. 

I saw that last night. I’m glad they are happy with it. Still think it could have been better. 

48 minutes ago, mappy said:

I saw that last night. I’m glad they are happy with it. Still think it could have been better. 

Yep. It was awful. Nice to see his family is happy but thought there would be a statue. Looks like it's made of metal clothes hangers you get from the dry cleaners. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Yep. It was awful. Nice to see his family is happy but thought there would be a statue. Looks like it's made of metal clothes hangers you get from the dry cleaners. :lol:

It looks like it belongs in a department store 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

100% with you on that. We definitely have it in us to do it, but it's always hard to break down teams who are looking to nullify any sort of attack and who aren't looking to attack in their own right.

If Iran gets a first goal of the match, then it's going to be grim viewing, but if we can somehow pick one up first then we may be able to slice them up as they come out of their shell.

How good is Iran's player with the two yellow cards?  Will his one game suspension matter much? 

5 hours ago, nj2va said:

I'm cautiously optimistic we win - going 3-1 USA.  If you told me we had to beat Iran and would advance (and have a small chance at winning the group outright), I'd take those odds.

I'm with you. I am looking for a win. The program needs it. After not making the last world cup, advancing would be a huge boost.

On the negative side... USA doesn't score a lot of goals. Here is a general breakdown of their games this year.

13 games played.

4 wins, 3 losses, 6 draws.

Goals for: 18

Goals against: 9

16 of the goals for came in 4 games.

Average ranking of opponents in those 4 games: 83

Goals scored against opponents in the top 20 (Iran is 20): 1

Bottom line: they need to do what they are not very good at - put the ball in the net.

Fingers crossed, because a draw is no good.

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ugh, took a test and I’ve got covid. Fucking hell. Terrible timing and I swear if my kid misses another dance recital bc of us being sick, the depression will be terrible. 

Not what you wanted to deal with. Not now. Not this close. But things can still work out. Try to hope for that. 

Just feel better and keep fingers crossed :hug:

On 11/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

Nice work @NorthArlington101. I still can’t believe I was there. 

Super late reply -- I'm not Jacob, though Jacob is great! Most recent article I did was the Ryan Hall one, for those who want to stalk me. Less time to write now that I'm employed elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

How good is Iran's player with the two yellow cards?  Will his one game suspension matter much? 

He’s one of their better attacking players, so it could well make a difference, especially if we get a lead and they have to push for a goal or two. The bigger potential miss is Sardar Azmoun. If his calf injury is still nagging him (as rumored), then they could really miss him as an effective outlet if they sit deep and defend.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But isn't the even more than blocking with Ninas? I thought another reason were also problematic because of having little to no STJ...and more NS interference. That element isn't as problematic in Niños, is it?

Also, I'm still trying to visualize how 1995-96 worked...was the blocking so strong it forced everything under us, or?

https://www.weather.gov/media/publications/assessments/bz-mrg.pdf (Page 14)

and http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/07-Jan-96-500MillibarMaps.html for the 500/etc maps

Jan 96 had sprawling HPs to the north, trough in the east, multiple LPs that formed/diminished/reformed over the Gulf/SE until the ‘main’ LP formed near Cape Hatteras which eventually became ‘the’ LP.  The 500 maps show a classic closed bowling ball and the trough is eventually negatively tilted and captures the rapidly deepening LP off the Mid Atl coast.

This was the mean geopotential height anomaly for the first five days of January that year, leading up to the storm (hopefully I did this right).

image.gif.cfb00685690504212acf9f41bf8ce605.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

https://www.weather.gov/media/publications/assessments/bz-mrg.pdf (Page 14)

and http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/07-Jan-96-500MillibarMaps.html for the 500/etc maps

Jan 96 had sprawling HPs to the north, trough in the east, multiple LPs that formed/diminished/reformed over the Gulf/SE until the ‘main’ LP formed near Cape Hatteras which eventually became ‘the’ LP.  The 500 maps show a classic closed bowling ball and the trough is eventually negatively tilted and captures the rapidly deepening LP off the Mid Atl coast.

This was the mean geopotential height anomaly for the first five days of January that year, leading up to the storm (hopefully I did this right).

image.gif.cfb00685690504212acf9f41bf8ce605.gif

Hey thanks for the explanation! (Btw did you mean to put this in the banter thread? Lol) Will certainly check out the links when I have time

27 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey thanks for the explanation! (Btw did you mean to put this in the banter thread? Lol) Will certainly check out the links when I have time

Rule of thumb with Nina's and favorable patterns is having the npac ridge axis aligned further east than classical placement. 95-96 really shows this as. When the top of the ridge allows "downhill flow" in Western Canada, it keeps our cold air source intact. Cold continental air flows down into the rockies and bleeds/moderates eastward. More laterally than usual with blocking too instead of digging and releasing.

Our best storms have "wide and thin" high pressure to our north aka "banana high" because its shaped like a banana. We rarely or never get that even with a block when the npac ridge is in a more classic Nina position. The trough in the western conus is very hard to fight back enough for easy wins unlike people north (as close as philly). 

The margins here are always a razor edge in any and all setups. We have always and will always be more prone to fail that win here. That part sucks. What doesn't suck is we do get flush hits with the most powerful winter storms in the eastern half of the continent. Places as close as Ohio would kill for a coastal they can't get.  I focus on the good and we have it pretty good with continental weenieism

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Rule of thumb with Nina's and favorable patterns is having the npac ridge axis aligned further east than classical placement. 95-96 really shows this as. When the top of the ridge allows "downhill flow" in Western Canada, it keeps our cold air source intact. Cold continental air flows down into the rockies and bleeds/moderates eastward. More laterally than usual with blocking too instead of digging and releasing.

Our best storms have "wide and thin" high pressure to our north aka "banana high" because its shaped like a banana. We rarely or never get that even with a block when the npac ridge is in a more classic Nina position. The trough in the western conus is very hard to fight back enough for easy wins unlike people north (as close as philly). 

The margins here are always a razor edge in any and all setups. We have always and will always be more prone to fail that win here. That part sucks. What doesn't suck is we do get flush hits with the most powerful winter storms in the eastern half of the continent. Places as close as Ohio would kill for a coastal they can't get.  I focus on the good and we have it pretty good with continental weenieism

Good points, Bob.  And I'll agree with the part I bolded for sure, having grown up in Ohio.  I know I've said this before but in northeast Ohio we'd get a number of solid area-wide events, like 4-8" or 6-12" kind of deals.  Rarely more than a foot (I can recall a couple in my time there).  Never 20"+.  Now, that excludes lake effect snows of course, but those are more localized and you have to be in the right areas of NE Ohio to really get the full brunt.  Or you could get a "bonus" of lake effect on top of the synoptic snow when the main storm was over and the winds shifted.  When I came to this area, I never had experienced a synoptic scale 20" event.  I've now seen about 4 of those in the two decades I've been here.  And a few others of a foot or more.  Likewise, I've seen more ice events here too than I recall in Ohio...the whole CAD setup we have is something you don't see there so much.

• mappy unpinned this topic