Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter 2022

George BM

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Ok soccer fans…what does a draw mean for their chances here? Assuming a win against Iran and loss against England, it may come down to goals for/against?

USA "should" win easily over Iran.  That's 4 points.  I'm going to guess Wales beats Iran as well.  Probably will come down to who loses "better" to England unless the US can get a tie or a win

1 hour ago, toolsheds said:

If it wasn't for that last yellow card, I think that Wales scores from Midfield and gets the 2-1 win. 

Agree, he was about to score since the goalie was still way out of the net.  Smart use of the yellow card there.

Disappointing given how well we played in the first.  I watch soccer once every four years but are the refs always that bad?  The guy was so inconsistent - also the constant flops make soccer look silly.

11 hours ago, nj2va said:

Agree, he was about to score since the goalie was still way out of the net.  Smart use of the yellow card there.

Disappointing given how well we played in the first.  I watch soccer once every four years but are the refs always that bad?  The guy was so inconsistent - also the constant flops make soccer look silly.

the flops have gotten worse over the years. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Ok soccer fans…what does a draw mean for their chances here? Assuming a win against Iran and loss against England, it may come down to goals for/against?

It’s not horrible. But due to the order of matches I think a win against Wales was more critical than normal. 

Here is the issue…assuming the chalk scenario in match day 2 (Wales beats Iran, England beats US) it leaves us needing an England team that’s already qualified and will be resting their players to get a win v a Wales team playing for their lives on the 3rd match day.  And possibly even for England to win by several goals to help us in a goal differential tiebreaker with Wales. That’s a bad spot to be. 

What we need to root for Friday imo, other then the obvious of getting a result v England, is for an Iran win. In that scenario we would control our own destiny match day 3.  Second to that an Iran Wales draw would at least mean Wales would need to beat England not just tie to guarantee we are eliminated. 

Failing to get points v England and a Wales win Friday means we don’t control our fate.  We would then need an indifferent England to beat Wales, and for the US to beat Iran, and also to win the goal differential tiebreaker.  That would be an awful position going into match 3. Unfortunately that’s also the most likely outcome of match 2. 

To put it in mathematical terms our chances to get out of group went from about 85% to 40% when Zimmerman gave up that penalty. The World Cup is an unforgiving event. One mistake often can do you in. 

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s not horrible. But due to the order of matches I think a win against Wales was more critical than normal. 

Here is the issue…assuming the chalk scenario in match day 2 (Wales beats Iran, England beats US) it leaves us needing an England team that’s already qualified and will be resting their players to get a win v a Wales team playing for their lives on the 3rd match day.  And possibly even for England to win by several goals to help us in a goal differential tiebreaker with Wales. That’s a bad spot to be. 

What we need to root for Friday imo, other then the obvious of getting a result v England, is for an Iran win. In that scenario we would control our own destiny match day 3.  Second to that an Iran Wales draw would at least mean Wales would need to beat England not just tie to guarantee we are eliminated. 

Failing to get points v England and a Wales win Friday means we don’t control our fate.  We would then need an indifferent England to beat Wales, and for the US to beat Iran, and also to win the goal differential tiebreaker.  That would be an awful position going into match 3. Unfortunately that’s also the most likely outcome of match 2. 

To put it in mathematical terms our chances to get out of group went from about 85% to 40% when Zimmerman gave up that penalty. The World Cup is an unforgiving event. One mistake often can do you in. 

Is this where I bring up the fact the US has never lost to England at the World Cup? 

CHARLOTEE, NC – A helicopter crash in Charlotte Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a local Meteorologist and the pilot, official said.

WBTV Meteorologist Jason Myers and Sky3 pilot Chip Tayag were on board the aircraft that  went down near I-77 and Nations Ford Road.

“The WBTV family is grieving a terrible loss,” the news outlet said in a statement. “Our news helicopter Sky3 crashed mid-day Tuesday with two of our colleagues on board. Meteorologist Jason Myers and pilot Chip Tayag lost their lives. We are working to comfort their families in this difficult time. We appreciate the outpouring of support for our staff and your continued prayers for their families.”

The cause of the crash is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

image.png.23b278cb250d93000c3531d672052cd9.png

• Sad 6

This isn’t a great segue from that, but hello from Paris. Flew out of Dulles last night and landed here 8 am local. Didn’t really sleep on plane so will be crashing as soon as can get into the hotel room. Visiting my youngest who is on a semester abroad here.  45 and rain. Doesn’t matter - walking around Paris in the rain is awesome. First time here (hell, first time in Europe).

happy thanksgiving week to you all. Even the weird trolls. Well, not that snowman guy.  

was fun to read the upper air disco in the long range thread just now. More of that good news please and thank you.  

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

This isn’t a great segue from that, but hello from Paris. Flew out of Dulles last night and landed here 8 am local. Didn’t really sleep on plane so will be crashing as soon as can get into the hotel room. Visiting my youngest who is on a semester abroad here.  45 and rain. Doesn’t matter - walking around Paris in the rain is awesome. First time here (hell, first time in Europe).

happy thanksgiving week to you all. Even the weird trolls. Well, not that snowman guy.  

was fun to read the upper air disco in the long range thread just now. More of that good news please and thank you.  

Enjoy your trip and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

ps. snowman guy won't be posting in our sub again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Happy T-day!  Be safe and have a great trip. 

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic