• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2022

George BM

Figured I'd post this in case anyone found it interesting.  I played around with a congressional redistricting tool I use with my AP Politics class to create districts based on snowfall.  You can see the population statistics on the right for each zone.  I did the best I could but its not perfect since snowfall doesn't follow zip code lines, especially in some mountainous micro climate areas.  But its close.  

MDSnowfallPopulation.thumb.png.c77de9d4685681b1989f4c6f18736fc0.png

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

You may have read that wrong. The game is live at 2:00pm EST (10:00 pm in Qatar).

During the peak of the tournament during the group stage, the games start at 5:00am EST - 8:00am EST - 11:00am EST - 2:00am EST.

All of our group games start at 2:00 pm EST. If we make it through the group (top two advance), our first knockout game would be at 10:00am EST on Saturday 12/4 or 2:00pm EST on Sunday 12/5, depending on where we finish in the group.

thanks.  Just seems odd that they are trying to accommodate the US viewing audience by playing such a late game.   I guess that it is not as bad as it seems.  I just remember recording all of the games years ago when it was in Japan/Korea on the VCR and watching them that morning. 

1 minute ago, toolsheds said:

thanks.  Just seems odd that they are trying to accommodate the US viewing audience by playing such a late game.   I guess that it is not as bad as it seems.  I just remember recording all of the games years ago when it was in Japan/Korea on the VCR and watching them that morning. 

They're not just accommodating the US audience though. There are nine Western Hemisphere teams in this tournament; most of their games are the later ones. Also, they have to play four games per day because this World Cup is condensed this year (because it's stupidly in Qatar in the middle of most club seasons around the world), so they have to spread them out throughout the day. Finally, the TV times are much better in Europe than they are here.

If you're saying that we shouldn't play at 2:00pm in the group stage, then I have to disagree. There's no harm in having US games at that time as it doesn't affect TV times for any of our opponents except Iran. Those 5:00am EST games are being played at 2:00pm Qatar time. They could have started earlier, but that's not good for TV in Europe, and definitely not for viewership in the Western Hemisphere. East Asia is screwed for TV times, which isn't unusual at all for World Cups.

I stayed up at night and watched many of the 2002 games (didn't hurt that I was in grad school and slinging beers at a pub at that time). Definitely good times, especially because we made a great run in that tournament!

30 minutes ago, mattie g said:

They're not just accommodating the US audience though. There are nine Western Hemisphere teams in this tournament; most of their games are the later ones. Also, they have to play four games per day because this World Cup is condensed this year (because it's stupidly in Qatar in the middle of most club seasons around the world), so they have to spread them out throughout the day. Finally, the TV times are much better in Europe than they are here.

If you're saying that we shouldn't play at 2:00pm in the group stage, then I have to disagree. There's no harm in having US games at that time as it doesn't affect TV times for any of our opponents except Iran. Those 5:00am EST games are being played at 2:00pm Qatar time. They could have started earlier, but that's not good for TV in Europe, and definitely not for viewership in the Western Hemisphere. East Asia is screwed for TV times, which isn't unusual at all for World Cups.

I stayed up at night and watched many of the 2002 games (didn't hurt that I was in grad school and slinging beers at a pub at that time). Definitely good times, especially because we made a great run in that tournament!

Thanks for the insight.  I wasn't saying that they shouldn't play at 2:00 pm, just was "new" to see them playing so late in the local time.  

I am totally looking forward to watching as many games as possible.  I'm  up at 5:00 a.m. and am definitely looking forward to watching all morning through the group stage. 

You have any dark horse teams who might over perform?   Should be a great month!

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, katabatic said:

I’m not a frequent poster as I just like to read and learn, but I have done something similar. I couldn’t stand living in MoCo for many of your stated reasons and moved out to Mountain Lake Park (Garrett County) due in no small part that I love snow and just wanted a slower pace. While certainly not completely off the grid, I found myself saying “I need to go to into town…” and just smiled. I got 1.6” of upslope yesterday and loved every flake. Glad to hear you took the plunge and all the best to you and your wife. Keep the pictures coming of your progress. 

In many ways the wife and I feel "guided" somehow. Sounds crazy but we're making a ton of long term decisions on the fly and as long as our intuition isn't yelling, we just go with the flow.

I love building stuff there are a ton of trees on the ground in various groupings. We had forest crew clear a 500' access drive and half acre clearing for the RV in July. All the good trees were saved for milling. The drive path was majority pine so milling with a chainsaw is easy enough. Once I get into hardwoods I'll invest in a bandsaw type mill. 

I'm real proud of this project. I did the collage for my bro-in-law. Does a nice job capturing the grunt work. Only tools were 2 chainsaws, mill guide, hammer, level, draw blade (bark skinner) and tape. All cuts were basically freehand. Next up is a big 20x15 shed!

20221116_150618.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Looks like I'll be heading to a bar Sunday that has the Buffalo-Cleveland game on. :thumbsdown:

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2022&wk=11

Latest on the LES event. Looks like there will still be snow showers during the game on Sunday, but most of the snow will have fallen by then. Let's see how efficient they are at removal at the stadium.

StormTotalSnow.thumb.jpg.2fff49475e01fa96a1202eec47c4d11c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

I don't foresee convincing my wife to do Thanksgiving in a tent on the mountain.  She really needs to pick up the pace so we can build that damn cabin. 

Even the possibility of snow isn't enough for me to want to spend Thanksgiving in a tent cooking a turkey over a fire :P

I'd say come over to our house but we're hosting 12 from my partner's family - maybe the tent would be better...  :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Since I now have a real job that can largely be done remotely, I’m gonna have to start eyeing chasing some of these snowstorms in the future, especially if things get dire locally.

Any obvious chasing tips? My job doesn’t allow me quite the amount of flexibility that one might need to chase these events, but my concern is always dumb stuff, like getting stuck in the mountains if I’m running to Snowshoe chasing 2’ of snow that would’ve been 2” in Arlington.

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Since I now have a real job that can largely be done remotely, I’m gonna have to start eyeing chasing some of these snowstorms in the future, especially if things get dire locally.

Any obvious chasing tips? My job doesn’t allow me quite the amount of flexibility that one might need to chase these events, but my concern is always dumb stuff, like getting stuck in the mountains if I’m running to Snowshoe chasing 2’ of snow that would’ve been 2” in Arlington.

Having chased Lake Effect during college at Syracuse, stay off the Thruway or any interstate unless you wanna get stranded between exits. The towns will keep most primary and secondary roads passable enough even in crazy bands for pretty much any 4x4 but have a shovel in case you can’t find the road and get briefly stuck. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Snow weenies in Geneva...

FRINGED

My grandmother lived in northwest Niagara county (the tiny light blue sliver on the map above). Worst microclimate for lake effect in western NY. As a kid, I’d get so excited for those huge events because I figured that guaranteed a white Xmas. Then my grandma would tell us she still has bare ground lol. Driving up there we’d pass through the eastern portion of the prime SW fetch Erie band and see enormous snow piles and deep snow and then quickly it would fade to brown frozen mud in Niagara county. The different microclimates are pretty fascinating.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I missed the damn storm and it really ticked me off lol. Freshman in college elsewhere. I think u can relate my friend :lol:

Great memory you've got there! I'll never quite forgive myself for that one... needed to have my own car freshman year so I could've pivoted back down to Cville.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Great memory you've got there! I'll never quite forgive myself for that one... needed to have my own car freshman year so I could've pivoted back down to Cville.

My weenie brain is so fookin afflicted... I have photographic memory of OTHER weenies' tragedies. Some call it empathy, others call it sadistic pleasure. I just call it F'd up and move on with my day 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My weenie brain is so fookin afflicted... I have photographic memory of OTHER weenies' tragedies. Some call it empathy, others call it sadistic pleasure. I just call it F'd up and move on with my day 

Perhaps we can score an event with a foot of snow caked in a foot of ice on top this year? We could use something anomalous. :thumbsup:

• mappy unpinned this topic