Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2022

George BM

48 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sandy level is weird with postal codes. We're in 24161. Rocky Mt, Gretna, Alta Vista for big box runs. 

Google seems to (erroneously) think Sandy Level is on the NC border; not near Smith Mt. 

After a camping trip to Smith Lake years ago, I returned by the east side because I just had to visit the dam. Turned out to be quite a detour, but worth it. At that time Applalachian Power had a visitor center there which is really good. Seems to be run by volunteers too. Just driving around the area, I really liked it.
Of course, knowing the history of the area, I felt like I should be driving around in a fast 1940 Ford with overload springs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

HenCo-HoCo death band is a really big band 

It's the Pitts County lol. Pittsylvania to be exact. Sandy Level is next to Pittsville. Thank god the property wasn't next door haha. Highest elevation is 840' and lowest is 640'. Ridge down the middle is around 760. Good upslope enhancement spot for east flow events. Elevation runs from 650-2000 (top of smith in a short stretch from east to west in the area. Already works with east flow rain every time. 33 and rain will REALLY pile up.  I'm screwed with clippers though. 

51 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hey @Bob Chill!  Congrats on the new place and good luck with the move!  I know what a pain that can be.  Just moved myself recently, now in north Bethesda/southern Rockville (would that be "upper Bethesda" or "lower Rockville"?? :lol:).  But once you're done, I'm sure it will be a huge relief!

I guess with building the house, I can see why you would be hoping for a warmer winter!

House build is a minimum 12 months out. Much has to happen b4 then. Milled hardwood timbers need 6 months of curing/drying. I'm practicing milling right now and building sheds/cabins/outhouse etc. Timbers are the only house framing members allowed without being "graded".  So apparently it's against code to self-mill HARDWOOD dimensional lumber even though it's magnitudes stronger than pine. Lol. I can get my own dimensional  lumber graded but for higher cost than buying pre-milled. What a scam. 

29 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Google seems to (erroneously) think Sandy Level is on the NC border; not near Smith Mt. 

After a camping trip to Smith Lake years ago, I returned by the east side because I just had to visit the dam. Turned out to be quite a detour, but worth it. At that time Applalachian Power had a visitor center there which is really good. Seems to be run by volunteers too. Just driving around the area, I really liked it.
Of course, knowing the history of the area, I felt like I should be driving around in a fast 1940 Ford with overload springs.

It's confusing for sure with Google maps. No idea why. 

We're in the sticks. No 2 ways about that. Literally the edge of society due to topography. Smith Mtn and the 2 lakes box thru traffic completely out of our area. Land is 2 miles down a private dead end road as well so no tourists ever (or anyone really lol). Property came with deeded access to leesville lake so thats super cool. Half mile down the road is a common area and ramp but there's only a total of 5 seasonal land users that use it and rarely at that. 

These pics will give u a good point of reference. First 2 are in mid July like 2 days after closing. I dragged a big chainsaw a quarter mile into thick woods and sawed a view in 95 degree heat. It was my inspiration for the big job at hand. Kicked my ass and then some...

Last pic is right when the colors on Smith started. The dam and gap is just to the right. We'll have a huge view by spring. Can't wait. 

20220715_142044.jpg

20221114_134233.jpg

20221114_134540.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey Wx Fam, been a busy boy since last post @Jiwill be happy to know I won't be leaving the MA sub as the wife and I bought 25 acres on the east side of Smith Mtn in Sandy Level, VA back in July. Tract of untouched forest. Last logging run was back in the 1970s. Got the RV setup with generator/solar/outhouse/fresh water. Lots of work ahead building the house. I'm milling all the beams myself.

Working on getting out of Rockville plan now. That's a big job too. I have no thoughts on winter except I would prefer this one to be warm so that means break out the shovels and parkas. I'm not trying to avoid amwx. I just rarely spend time on the internet nowadays except for DIY videos lol

Congrats @Bob Chill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey Wx Fam, been a busy boy since last post @Jiwill be happy to know I won't be leaving the MA sub as the wife and I bought 25 acres on the east side of Smith Mtn in Sandy Level, VA back in July. Tract of untouched forest. Last logging run was back in the 1970s. Got the RV setup with generator/solar/outhouse/fresh water. Lots of work ahead building the house. I'm milling all the beams myself.

Working on getting out of Rockville plan now. That's a big job too. I have no thoughts on winter except I would prefer this one to be warm so that means break out the shovels and parkas. I'm not trying to avoid amwx. I just rarely spend time on the internet nowadays except for DIY videos lol

So happy for you and the family. May you have only joy in your new home. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It's the Pitts County lol. Pittsylvania to be exact. Sandy Level is next to Pittsville. Thank god the property wasn't next door haha. Highest elevation is 840' and lowest is 640'. Ridge down the middle is around 760. Good upslope enhancement spot for east flow events. Elevation runs from 650-2000 (top of smith in a short stretch from east to west in the area. Already works with east flow rain every time. 33 and rain will REALLY pile up.  I'm screwed with clippers though. 

House build is a minimum 12 months out. Much has to happen b4 then. Milled hardwood timbers need 6 months of curing/drying. I'm practicing milling right now and building sheds/cabins/outhouse etc. Timbers are the only house framing members allowed without being "graded".  So apparently it's against code to self-mill HARDWOOD dimensional lumber even though it's magnitudes stronger than pine. Lol. I can get my own dimensional  lumber graded but for higher cost than buying pre-milled. What a scam. 

It's confusing for sure with Google maps. No idea why. 

We're in the sticks. No 2 ways about that. Literally the edge of society due to topography. Smith Mtn and the 2 lakes box thru traffic completely out of our area. Land is 2 miles down a private dead end road as well so no tourists ever (or anyone really lol). Property came with deeded access to leesville lake so thats super cool. Half mile down the road is a common area and ramp but there's only a total of 5 seasonal land users that use it and rarely at that. 

These pics will give u a good point of reference. First 2 are in mid July like 2 days after closing. I dragged a big chainsaw a quarter mile into thick woods and sawed a view in 95 degree heat. It was my inspiration for the big job at hand. Kicked my ass and then some...

Last pic is right when the colors on Smith started. The dam and gap is just to the right. We'll have a huge view by spring. Can't wait. 

That is an awesome view for sure!!  Next MA get together will be at your place out in the sticks when it's all done!! :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Congrats @Bob Chill

Thanks man! This was abrupt. Plan was in place for years but 2022? Didn't see that coming. Because we're doing it so early, the math is different. This is no early retirement. Kinda the opposite lol. 

40 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

So happy for you and the family. May you have only joy in your new home. 

Appreciate it. We're taking the road less traveled.  Blood, sweat, and tears instead of chasing money and big houses. Off grid as well. Not hooking up to any utilities. Prop taxes are $300/yr as is and maybe 700 tops when we build. I'm 100% done chasing stuff and money. All it ever did was stress me out and make me anxious. I'm busting my ass 15 days a month running heavy equipment and developing the land. Never felt better in my life. Especially in my head. This is what I'm supposed to do. No idea how I know. I just know. Same with the wife. Feels bizarre at times but we're really happy. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Thanks man! This was abrupt. Plan was in place for years but 2022? Didn't see that coming. Because we're doing it so early, the math is different. This is no early retirement. Kinda the opposite lol. 

Appreciate it. We're taking the road less traveled.  Blood, sweat, and tears instead of chasing money and big houses. Off grid as well. Not hooking up to any utilities. Prop taxes are $300/yr as is and maybe 700 tops when we build. I'm 100% done chasing stuff and money. All it ever did was stress me out and make me anxious. I'm busting my ass 15 days a month running heavy equipment and developing the land. Never felt better in my life. Especially in my head. This is what I'm supposed to do. No idea how I know. I just know. Same with the wife. Feels bizarre at times but we're really happy. 

You should seriously document your work and Vlog it on Youtube.  I see folks doing exactly what you are doing and it could be a way to give some of your knowledge back. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I’m not a frequent poster as I just like to read and learn, but I have done something similar. I couldn’t stand living in MoCo for many of your stated reasons and moved out to Mountain Lake Park (Garrett County) due in no small part that I love snow and just wanted a slower pace. While certainly not completely off the grid, I found myself saying “I need to go to into town…” and just smiled. I got 1.6” of upslope yesterday and loved every flake. Glad to hear you took the plunge and all the best to you and your wife. Keep the pictures coming of your progress. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Usual caveat applies....perfect modeled patterns rarely produce. We've seen this a few times the past few seasons. Archambault....as the pattern sets in and as the pattern relaxes. I mean dont get me wrong, I printed that CFS and am bringing it to bed tonight soooooo yeah.

I don't really want to touch that one with a 10 meter cattle prod...but I do believe that might be illegal in at least 40 states!! :lol:

On 11/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, toolsheds said:

Is that taped?  Seems awfully late for a game to be played live. 

You may have read that wrong. The game is live at 2:00pm EST (10:00 pm in Qatar).

During the peak of the tournament during the group stage, the games start at 5:00am EST - 8:00am EST - 11:00am EST - 2:00am EST.

All of our group games start at 2:00 pm EST. If we make it through the group (top two advance), our first knockout game would be at 10:00am EST on Saturday 12/4 or 2:00pm EST on Sunday 12/5, depending on where we finish in the group.

• mappy unpinned this topic