Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No it’s great that we are seeing this . But devils advocate.. we saw this several times last winter and the season before etc etc. And as we got closer it got less favorable, pushed back or both. I’m not sure why people on here can’t understand why there is worry and doubt . We all want that look that is modeled. Just like we all “want” that hot model. Looks and wants are one thing..  satisfaction and verification are quite another. 

We had a legit pattern both of those winters.....we got a bit unlucky last January except for those folks right near the coast who saw 24-30" in the blizzard....but the pattern easily could have yielded more events. But even still, I think ORH had like 25-30 inches of snow during these 3 weeks and it could have been another 12-15 more if that ridiculous Jan 17th storm hadn't produced like a 1 in 50 phase that cause it to run up our fannies.

Jan7-Jan31_2022.gif.bc4656d999e68c51aa27e3aec402369b.gif

Then the previous winter, we had a very good pattern from around MLK until mid-February. We got like 40 inches of snow during this period.

Jan21-Feb13_2021.gif.205748a65b475b287f914ded1e3b7265.gif

I think 2020 might be the year you are thinking of when all the ensembles showed an obscenely good pattern around mid to late January and then it just evaporated. LAst year, we did have some false starts in December, but we did get the good pattern in January....we were just a little snake bit from what-could-have-been due to Jan 17th.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had a legit pattern both of those winters.....we got a bit unlucky last January except for those folks right near the coast who saw 24-30" in the blizzard....but the pattern easily could have yielded more events. But even still, I think ORH had like 25-30 inches of snow during these 3 weeks and it could have been another 12-15 more if that ridiculous Jan 17th storm hadn't produced like a 1 in 50 phase that cause it to run up our fannies.

Jan7-Jan31_2022.gif.bc4656d999e68c51aa27e3aec402369b.gif

Then the previous winter, we had a very good pattern from around MLK until mid-February. We got like 40 inches of snow during this period.

Jan21-Feb13_2021.gif.205748a65b475b287f914ded1e3b7265.gif

I think 2020 might be the year you are thinking of when all the ensembles showed an obscenely good pattern around mid to late January and then it just evaporated. LAst year, we did have some false starts in December, but we did get the good pattern in January....we were just a little snake bit from what-could-have-been due to Jan 17th.

Yup, that 2020 head fake in late January was tough to take…looked great and proof she gone! What a tease that was.  Hopefully this isn’t one of those? 

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No it’s great that we are seeing this . But devils advocate.. we saw this several times last winter and the season before etc etc. And as we got closer it got less favorable, pushed back or both. I’m not sure why people on here can’t understand why there is worry and doubt . We all want that look that is modeled. Just like we all “want” that hot model. Looks and wants are one thing..  satisfaction and verification are quite another. 

Patterns also don’t necessarily correlate to measuring inches of snow either.

The pattern can be exactly as shown but it still doesn’t snow because of other random variables.  That’s where the “satisfaction” side comes in… it can verify but not satisfy.

Great patterns don’t produce sometimes, just like terrible patterns can run into one sometimes.  But you hedge your bets.  It’s all a probability game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The polar vortex is a lot weaker than last year

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Worst weather term ever. Whenever you see it or hear it , it means push back and back and back and just offers no consistent promise or anything to look forward to .

I particularly like the old “we might need to take a few cutters to get our storm” always uplifting when your hear that on February 1st haha

• Haha 1

This place is funny. God forbid anyone express any worries or concerns that things might possibly not turn out like they are modeled . I mean if you’ve been around long enough.. you know the pattern is not going to turn epic like these forecasters and models are saying. I just can’t excited anymore at day 14 progs . They never work out . Not to say it won’t snow by Dec 10

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This place is funny. God forbid anyone express any worries or concerns that things might possibly not turn out like they are modeled . I mean if you’ve been around long enough.. you know the pattern is not going to turn epic like these forecasters and models are saying. I just can’t excited anymore at day 14 progs . They never work out . Not to say it won’t snow by Dec 10

Bottom line: it’s better to see something very nice, than to see something very ugly. We take what we can get…and appreciate the progression. 

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So, you're not happy because the models look good two weeks out because it might not happen, but would you be unhappy if they looked terrible two weeks out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

So, you're not happy because the models look good two weeks out because it might not happen, but would you be unhappy if they looked terrible two weeks out?

That’s the crux of it right there. Everyone knows the variables and that everything in weather is a probability spread.

Some people don’t do good with unknowns, probability, and uncertainty too. 

27 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I think it’s fantastic how good they look. But why can’t someone express their doubts on here ? How many times have they burned us.. over these 3 Nina years in a row? This exact same thing happened the last 2 winters . They looked great.. most Mets bit and forecast it.. and then it didn’t happen nearly as epic as it looked. I’m not saying it can’t or won’t happen.. but what’s wrong with worrying or questioning how good things will be?  I got called a whiner by Will and a poster by the name Snowcrazed asked me how old I was . Simply for expressing another option . I’m the biggest snow lover here. I’m not sold at all on this epic pattern .  I hope they are right. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think it’s fantastic how good they look. But why can’t someone express their doubts on here ? How many times have they burned us.. over these 3 Nina years in a row? This exact same thing happened the last 2 winters . They looked great.. most Mets bit and forecast it.. and then it didn’t happen nearly as epic as it looked. I’m not saying it can’t or won’t happen.. but what’s wrong with worrying or questioning how good things will be?  I got called a whiner by Will and a poster by the name Snowcrazed asked me how old I was . Simply for expressing another option . I’m the biggest snow lover here. I’m not sold at all on this epic pattern .  I hope they are right. 

Well , let’s face it , we are all on a weather forum and our drug is snow , so puff puff pass the good word , or your just killin the vibe 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well , let’s face it , we are all on a weather forum and our drug is snow , so puff puff pass the good word , or your just killin the vibe 

I used to be one of those . When the Mets on the board here forecast it.. buy it.. get pumped . I remember last year I questioned things .. and how did last winter work out? I guess I’m in my wiser years.. I’ve learned to be cautious. I’m in the “ I hope these guys are right , but am very concerned of the Pacific and Nina in screwing yet again “ camp 

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well written!!!  And I agree with you regarding the reactions/replies when people express doubt and different opinions. 

• Weenie 3

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I used to be one of those . When the Mets on the board here forecast it.. buy it.. get pumped . I remember last year I questioned things .. and how did last winter work out? I guess I’m in my wiser years.. I’ve learned to be cautious. I’m in the “ I hope these guys are right , but am very concerned of the Pacific and Nina in screwing yet again “ camp 

We’ve all been there. It’s a natural defense mechanism, I’ve done it before snowstorms… you look for what could go wrong.  I expect a Messenger SE rug pull every storm.  Ya’ll do it all summer, every summer now with rain.

There’s nothing wrong with expressing different opinions…if it’s rational and reasonable.  

One worrying about something is their own problem. Whether you worry or not, does not change anything, so I don’t know how rational that is when it comes to a model run. But if one wants to worry, then by all means go ahead. 

All that can be said at this moment, is that the look moving forward is a nice look. If one wants to worry about it, that’s their right to do so. But not to the point of making blanket statements that don’t have any merit.  

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Actually Ginxy’s train arrived on schedule. That worked out. I doubted the early arrival too. 

• Like 1