Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The change in pattern has been absolutely obscene to be honest.

To truly recognize the change, all one has to do is look at the temperature departures.  What a call by Ginxy.

Take a station like ORH... just ripping off double digit high average departures (daily departures of 15-20+ are nuts)... and then we see sustained negative departures (today also below normal but not shown here).

We have seen a pattern change that has resulted in 20-30 degree changes in the means!  That is remarkable!  Sensibly to the average person, it's a massive change.

Untitled.jpg.fecd51700d07e4aec1cc8eab8295e667.jpg

Nov 1-13 ran 11° AN with the coolest max at 46.  The past 6 days are a modest 4° BN with each day's max between 31 and 36.  And our 25-year average temp for 1-13 is 5° higher than for 14-19.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Surprised to see GEFS so vastly different than OP for next Saturday . Ya - not a snower for Boston , and maybe it goes poof but interesting to me 

Ensembles should be used at this range anyways. Actually nice to see differences vs having them look alike. That’s the idea of ensembles so they are working as they should with solutions that are more dispersive compared to the op. Both gfs and euro op are tossed.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ensembles should be used at this range anyways. Actually nice to see differences vs having them look alike. That’s the idea of ensembles so they are working as they should with solutions that are more dispersive compared to the op. Both gfs and euro op are tossed.

You did say the storm was gone - we hope it doesn’t come back or we will send you a postcard - to the Vatican 

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro was semi tropical with that low. Tossed to the moon. 

That and ... the vast continuity blow up is clue there lol.  

That said, I don't believe an inland solution ( ORD to Ontario...) is really favored or very well physically supported by the synoptic footprint during that period - not that you or anyone has asked me for my op on that. 

Still ... I said a couple days ago that a flatter open wave ( potency to be determined...) is favored, which would more likely lead to a NJ model cyclogen type of scenario. 

I thought as awkward as the continuity shift was  ( and the details contained ) wrt to the Euro solution ...it was a nod at trying to go more that route ...like a gross attempt. The GFS at 06z really did go that way almost entirely, though it is more toward the 28th.  

The look ahead: Ironically GEFS have the worst looking pacific but better blocking. EPS has a few days mild stretch after the 28th, but then cools off later in first week of December. I’ve yet to really see a clear signal that is either torch, or a pattern that looks hostile, but could offer chances. Hopefully we can sneak in something before it hopefully gets better after the 10th or so .

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The look ahead: Ironically GEFS have the worst looking pacific but better blocking. EPS has a few days mild stretch after the 28th, but then cools off later in first week of December. I’ve yet to really see a clear signal that is either torch, or a pattern that looks hostile, but could offer chances. Hopefully we can sneak in something before it hopefully gets better after the 10th or so .

Not a lot of continuity on these ensemble runs. I’m guessing we have some more changes that will show up. At leas the AO/NAO blocking showing up has been kind of consistent. Hopefully that happens. 

I think your theory of weak forcing right now causing model volatility is prob correct. Nothing dominant to show a coherent signal. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s a lil different than what you said yesterday afternoon, when you said “the bad look is coming…it’s been modeled.”  Not trying to be a jerk or anything, Just trying to make sure I understand your reasoning that’s all. 

So this morning you’re not quite sure if it’s an all out torch/or hostile pattern, because it’s(longer range ensembles) waffling again? 

• Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not a lot of continuity on these ensemble runs. I’m guessing we have some more changes that will show up. At leas the AO/NAO blocking showing up has been kind of consistent. Hopefully that happens. 

I think your theory of weak forcing right now causing model volatility is prob correct. Nothing dominant to show a coherent signal. 

I don’t know what else it might be. It’s not a torch look or a cold look…..just kind of mundane lol.