Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s hard for me to believe that Orh has only 3 “double digit events”In Novie at 1k ,  but it just shows how rare they are . However I felt we are “due” for a biggie in November given how prolific the storms have been the last 30 years 

I wonder how many the E slope of Berks have had 

Depends how high in elevation you are talking.....above like 2500 feet? Probably a whole bunch. They prob get one every few years. But at like 1200-1400 feet? My guess is maybe a few extra beyond the ORH storms, but not a whole lot more. Maybe like 7 or 8 instead of 3? I'm pretty sure the 11/19/86 storm got double digits on east slopes. Also the 2014 T-day Eve storm I think gave them close to a foot. There's probably a few more in there where ORH got like 8" but they got 11" or something like that. Nov 1980 maybe....also Nov '61 and maybe Nov '44.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's almost impossible to get advisory snows along the coast in SNE during November without a good high placement. I had a thread on this back on eastern that analyzed all the advisory events (or better) for BOS in November and I think every single one had a good high in place except maybe one which was a ULL/cutoff that changed to snow near the end and dropped like 3 inches. Warning snows are even harder.

Even for a place like ORH at 1000 feet in the interior, it is not easy to get big dog snows in November. In fact, in 130 years of records, ORH has exactly 3 snow events of double digits in the month of November....Nov 26-27, 1898, Nov 25, 1971, and Nov 10-12, 1987. There's been a fair number of warning events, but most of them are in the 6-8" range. Most recently 8.2" on Nov 15-16, 2018.

All those too during tanked PDO times (except maybe 1898). 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Seems like the post-Thanksgiving potential may be tied into exactly what happens within this area of the Pacific. The GFS has a pretty significant low pressure develop and move into the GoA. Quite a bit of latent heat release ahead of it really works to build the PNA out ahead of it. Vastly different then the Euro. I may not be 100% correct on this, but it seems like the GFS has been overestimating the strength on some of these lows in the medium-range going into the GoA. 

image.png.cce74557f12943b767ccbb16069e5677.png

Period!

Ive been talking about amplitude magnification in that range as a systemic bias by not just the GFS but all of them, for years in this forum - tho they likely arrive upon the bias by different means and causes. 

anyway … I suspect it’s a sentiment that has difficulty getting across because acknowledgement means that any along the way of the coveted D9er dystopian dreams might be nightmarishly less awesome. Lol

Tricky tho. Giant bombs still happen… replete with their various assortment of reasons for histrionic excitement. I just find it interesting that we haven’t had a 1982, … 92, 78, 93, or 1888 in this era of model ability to sniff up wind storm odors with so much sensitivity.  

But irrespective of bombs .. seems everything is magnified. Lighter affairs are middling … middling portrayed as majors.  etc.  Even heat in the summers corrects down.  It’s coherent. I pretty much go ahead and assume everything I’m looking at in the D 6-11 range that has ‘neato’ quotient is coming into D 4 some 20 .. 30% of pimpage taken back. 

I suspect what you’re seeing out there in the m e range is related. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No storm on euro lol. Just a weak system with a few ra/sn shwrs.

Look at the western ridge now at d9. Lol. 

Might produce a totally different storm. Euro buries all the energy in the southwest so that still bears watching. But even without that, it’s a pretty ripe pattern. 

2550C7E7-1B3B-43BE-9EC4-DDC283DE6E2D.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Might produce a totally different storm. Euro buries all the energy in the southwest so that still bears watching. But even without that, it’s a pretty ripe pattern. 

I know...that's still pretty good. That cutoff is definitely causing issues, but we'll take the western ridge. 

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Period!

Ive been talking about amplitude magnification in that range as a systemic bias by not just the GFS but all of them, for years in this forum - tho they likely arrive upon the bias by different means and causes. 

anyway … I suspect it’s a sentiment that has difficulty getting across because acknowledgement means that any along the way of the coveted D9er dystopian dreams might be nightmarishly less awesome. Lol

Tricky tho. Giant bombs still happen… replete with their various assortment of reasons for histrionic excitement. I just find it interesting that we haven’t had a 1982, … 92, 78, 93, or 1888 in this era of models smelling up wind storm odors with so much sensitivity.  

But irrespective of bombs .. seems everything is magnified. Lighter affairs are middling … middling portrayed as majors.  etc.  It’s coherent. I pretty much go ahead and assume everything I’m looking at in the D 6-11 range that has ‘neato’ quotient is coming into D 4 some 20 .. 30% of pimp taken back. 

I suspect what you’re seeing out there in the m e ranges is related. 

In reality there is a reason why models go crazy with storms in the medium-to-long range. Ultimately, the goal is for atmospheric equilibrium (that isn't the right term but I can't think of it right now) so in order to achieve this you need storms (too keep it simple) lol. 

It's certainly going to be a chaotic pattern upcoming, lots of wave breaking across the Pacific and we'll see the pattern shaped across North America by PNA/EPO influences too. It's always great to see a "good pattern" but IMO its how the pieces move and evolve within the pattern that are more important than the pattern itself.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unless this is just more euro bias (though I thought that was corrected) 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS will look better than the op. Not that we should even be giving it this much attn beyond day 7, but the weather has been boring AF lately.

Yeah, EPS totally not biting on burying the energy....a lot of solutions that look good

Nov17_12zEPS210.png

• Like 1

The table is set by D7 on the EPS....you can see all the key synoptic features....the 50/50 low producing confluence to our north, the shortwave over the central US, a stout western ridge, and solid -NAO to hold the 50/50 in place longer as the shortwave approaches. All very good to see.

Obviously we need to get this about 2-3 days closer to take it really seriously, but you'd rather have this general look than not right now

Nov17_12zEPS168.png

• Like 11