• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

Just offering some perspective..  Exceptionally warm DP transport scenarios are not that uncommon in autumn/early winter ... in fact, we've observed at least mid 60s DP events in all months.  The return rate for the > 65 ... just estimating from arm-chair memory, 7 years? 

I've seen it be 71/70 with gusts from the S several times in December over the last 30 years. One year I think we had the highest DP of the calendar year at Logan in one of these in the 1990s, when it was 73 or something crazy - don't quote me.   

The advent in its self does not impress me nearly as much as the longevity in this case.  This has hung in the air for 30 or more hours.

More typically, as a cyclone transits through the Lakes, a transient albeit deeply tapped subtropical conveyor spans the distance up the Apps/coastal plain...  transporting melted butter air all the way tp Maine. But that WCB aspect is like < 12 hour ordeal ... ending sharply on the canonical front.   

The primary front's just clearing the region ... exposed by the broken ribbon echo squall on radar that just raced through.  Had 20 seconds of <1/4 mi vis rain billowing off roof eaves and waving down the road surface, ...over.  Dead calm.  So the sharp end occurred well enough. However, the cold lags and it's mild the rest of the afternoon ... delaying. Adds to the oddity a little. 

• Like 1