Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

Sorta half fake for us.

I mean you can kinda tell by the deltas. Or rate of change.  A week ago … we’d be 10:10 am at still just 41 down in the inverted layer. Now is 9:10 but outside of humans fiddling with time conventions the real deltas are moving up much slower, regardless. We were recovering some 25 deg by this time of morning before. One day I recall it went from dawn 30 to 62 by 10:40. 

Meanwhile the hydrostats are around 550dm over SNE …granted a bit cooler albeit briefly N. That’s not exactly “cold”. We’ve been 70F with shallower thickness than that.  

I’ve noticed that a lot in recent years actually.  Kind of an interesting thickness  imbalance in the loading between given 700-500mb layer compared to what typically occurs beneath.  The above layer is warmer than expected.  Not all the time .. no but we have a “half fake” cold under thickness that could be indicative of a warmer result 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It was 30 here earlier, it felt colder cuz we had 66 for lows for a few nights. 

Can we Talk about what might be coming Friday/Saturday?  And beyond. I think we’ve exhausted the fake cold BS at this point. 

Rain and wind this weekend, Then more fake cold next week.

My low was 30.   When I returned from California my allergies went wild as if it were late spring.   Thankfully with the cooler weather they’re gone-first non Allegra day for me since my return last Thursday night.   Now we move from early ore season to late roster changes before opening day.   Start to winter looks good.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not totally apples to apples, but it does not matter. One of the most spectacular week 3 fails from the EC weeklies I have ever seen.

How did the Gfs ensembles do… Granted I don’t think they have any products that go out that far or are supposed to specialize in that kind of range? I don’t know

no intent to detract from any other peoples accomplishments but this was suggested about three weeks ago when I was looking at stuff and I said so then I said we probably would get nailed in November course I have different methods admittedly. Anyway point is this isnt the first time the GFS ensembles seem to outperform the EPS … Seems to happen more so than it used to and I’m wondering if it’s just improvements in the model? Or maybe euros failing in recent versions

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How did the Gfs ensembles do… Granted I don’t think they have any products that go out that far or are supposed to specialize in that kind of range? I don’t know

no intent to detract from any other peoples accomplishments but this was suggested about three weeks ago when I was looking at stuff and I said so then I said we probably would get nailed in November course I have different methods admittedly. Anyway point isnt this is the first time the GFS ensembles seem to outperform the EPS … Seems to happen more so than it used to and I’m wondering if it’s just improvements in the model? Or maybe euros failing in recent versions

Well I was comparing the EC weeklies and then using the 6-10 day from the latest EPS to show how bad the weeklies did from week 3 initialized on 10/27. My guess is the CFS weeklies also showed a torch too. 

• Like 1