Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So what about Hubbdave when you can have both? Tolland ftl.

Yeah the SLK 1,600ft rad pit lol.

Anything 1,000ft that radiates too is probably ideal to be honest if we want to go down the “best” rabbit hole.

Pete/SkiMRG always had a great spot for that… like 1300ft but in a hollow.

We've had like 7 mornings below freezing here and several in the 20s just a couple of towns NW of Kevin here in the valley.  Definitely a good rad pit here, very flat and away from the cities.  

I’ve had eight below freezing and four in the 20s down in the valley in Easthampton.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He’s in a good spot. Yes  . Most folks even in NNE don’t get that . It’s one or the other. 
S Wey gets neither :lol: GWDLT

We get it, just not my hood. Radiational cooling anyways. 

At least you live in a very uneventful area for weather. Can feel good about the safety of your house and loved ones knowing that damaging ice, wind, etc don’t happen there. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We get it, just not my hood. Radiational cooling anyways. 

At least you live in a very uneventful area for weather. Can feel good about the safety of your house and loved ones knowing that damaging ice, wind, etc don’t happen there. 

For someone that likes rain, snow, severe, cold .. just qpf in general …man you live in the wrong area . GTFO of there 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I dunno, most posters seemed to have mentioned frost it seems. Even ineedsnow right next to ORH at 1000ft has been in the 20s I think?

Regardless of real vs fake cold, there seem to be a lot who have frosted I guess was my point.  Sure there are areas that haven’t.

We should do a poll on here :lol:.

Had multiple frost and lowest was 26 so far that I saw

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

The overarching point is there hasn't been any real cold so far this fall, and none on the horizon until next week. Early season radiating over the Indian burial grounds in Hockamock happens every year. 

Radiational cooling happens all the time all year long.  

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

The overarching point is there hasn't been any real cold so far this fall, and none on the horizon until next week. Early season radiating over the Indian burial grounds in Hockamock happens every year. 

Yep. No real cold.  And def nothing sustained.   My heating bill appreciates that

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, White Rain said:

All the spots along the eastern edge of the ORH hills including ORH, Winter Hill up through here and Westminster have generally not had a freeze above 700ft or so. It quickly drops off to 200-400 feet everywhere east of here. The lowest we hit was mid 30s and lots of nights in the mid to upper 40s. Get west of the mountain including Temp.eton and Hubbardston, parts of Princeton, Barre… all have had freezes as you have the flat elevated plain behind the mountain which radiates well. Being on the eastern side does help for catching more significant snow from Noreasters at times and for trapping low level cold air on E/NE winds. So there are advantages too even though radational cooling is lost. All the valleys around here have had multiple frosts/freezes.

It’s really not that big of a deal despite it aggravating some people. The eastern slopes in general are great winter spots and that’s what matters. 

It used to bother me with how this area does not radiate, but then I see the price of oil. I’m cool lol.