Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea I'd say were due for a snowy winter. The lack of rain and storm systems the past year+ has been weird, considering we've been in a la nina setup. Just goes to show you theres plenty more factors at play than enso and getting a snowstorm around here is like hoping to win a sports parlay, both of which have been avoiding me. It seems like it's been 5 years since we had a legit snowstorm, and that one happened in early Nov. Luckily I've been down in florida the past 3 winters. I'm officially finally moving to Florida next weekend. I wish it was yesterday so i wasnt around for this cold rain crap today. I stacked the delta skymiles and ready to fly back for snowstorms this winter.

I've been measuring snow since 1995 and liquid precip since 2000. Regardless of what happens in December (unless we get unforeseen massive amounts of rain and snow), 2022 will be my driest year of record. 

The last 3 winters have stayed remarkably close to climo for total snow, each of the 3 finishing ever so slightly above average.  Our last real snowy Winter would be 2017-18. Our last real low snow winter was 2011-12.  We had a real good snowstorm in February 2021 (11") and despite the GHD bust last year we still had 2 6+ storms in Feb). Last 12+ storm Feb 2015.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Yea I'd say were due for a snowy winter. The lack of rain and storm systems the past year+ has been weird, considering we've been in a la nina setup. Just goes to show you theres plenty more factors at play than enso and getting a snowstorm around here is like hoping to win a sports parlay, both of which have been avoiding me. It seems like it's been 5 years since we had a legit snowstorm, and that one happened in early Nov. Luckily I've been down in florida the past 3 winters. I'm officially finally moving to Florida next weekend. I wish it was yesterday so i wasnt around for this cold rain crap today. I stacked the delta skymiles and ready to fly back for snowstorms this winter.

Are you moving to FL permanently, or just for the winter?

On 11/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, Frog Town said:

Was literally staring at the radar as the dry slot slide 10 miles to my SE and I was square in some nice deformation thinking the exact same thing.  Feel like I never get in the sweet spot, unless it's a rain storm.  

I thought KTOL was like ground zero for the FEB '21 storm. As posted above, DTW hit 11" and was certain you posted that your depth was something crazy like 20+ inches afterwards. 

19 hours ago, Powerball said:

Are you moving to FL permanently, or just for the winter?

Permanently, finally. Its taken awhile to finish building the house down there, with shortages of supplies and recently Ian. I'm about 10 miles inland so luckily just some minor flooding from ian. Work will allow me to take some summer leave down there so ill prob come back in the summer months. Im looking forward to hopefully an active winter. I've decided my criteria for flying back for a snowstorm is > than 8 inches forecasted lol. Perhaps maybe I'll lower it to 6 if we make it to feb with no storms. It's been so long since I've been in the middle of a snowstorm...

• Like 3

Even though there is a strong emphasis on tornadoes today, the SPC has meteorologists issuing MDs for snow in the Midwest.

Mesoscale Discussion 1976
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0945 AM CST Tue Nov 29 2022

Areas affected...Portions of eastern Minnesota into northwest
   Wisconsin

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 291545Z - 292145Z

SUMMARY...Areas of 1 inch per hour snow rates are possible in
   eastern Minnesota into northwest Wisconsin this afternoon. The
   heaviest snowfall rates should occur from 12 PM to 4 PM CST.

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Permanently, finally. Its taken awhile to finish building the house down there, with shortages of supplies and recently Ian. I'm about 10 miles inland so luckily just some minor flooding from ian. Work will allow me to take some summer leave down there so ill prob come back in the summer months. Im looking forward to hopefully an active winter. I've decided my criteria for flying back for a snowstorm is > than 8 inches forecasted lol. Perhaps maybe I'll lower it to 6 if we make it to feb with no storms. It's been so long since I've been in the middle of a snowstorm...

Once you're gone, I think michsnowfreak will be the only regular Detroit area poster (that comes to mind) left.

EDIT: And RogueWaves. I keep forgetting he's also in the Detroit area now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

What a change from late this afternoon when summery convective clouds were rolling overhead.  After being up near 60 we're down to 24 with a wind chill of 9 lol.  Pretty intense caa this evening brought in by 45mph winds.  :shiver:

I always feeled robbed when such a dramatic shift in the weather comes with zero local interesting phenomenon like your dry frontal passage 

• Like 1