• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

61 and sunny on thanksgiving eve, I’ll take it. Normally I prefer more seasonable weather, but we are smoking a ham AND turkey.

hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday, me and the pops are drinking IPAs and manning the smoker. The ladies may need to intervene tonight, depending on how good the beer flows. 

EDIT: I grabbed the rolls and apple butter from the beef house restaurant in Covington, IN single handedly one of the most fire thanksgiving sides. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Chambana said:

61 and sunny on thanksgiving eve, I’ll take it. Normally I prefer more seasonable weather, but we are smoking a ham AND turkey.

hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday, me and the pops are drinking IPAs and manning the smoker. The ladies may need to intervene tonight, depending on how good the beer flows. 

EDIT: I grabbed the rolls and apple butter from the beef house restaurant in Covington, IN single handedly one of the most fire thanksgiving sides. 

Nice!

Fantastic day to be sure.  MLI hit 61.  Felt warmer than that with the full sun, light winds, and recent frigid spell.  

Prob spend some time Sat mulching/burning the last of the leaves.  Two giant sycamores down the road finally lost all their leaves and they drifted around the yard here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

10d Euro would bring some much need moisture here. Would be the wettest in months and at least begin to pull the region out of drought status. Nina effects beginning to show.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

Yes, you kind of don't want to go into winter in a drought. It usually fucks up moisture transport into the region. So rain now would be a welcome sight to see.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Feb 17th was the wettest system of the year (1.29" pcp, 6.6" snow). Rain to hvy sleet to hvy snow. How unusual is that to not have any good summer downpours. 

I'm sure there were plenty of good Summer downpours. That's normal.

The task though is getting them to last long. Since summer rains tend to be more scattered and convective in nature, they're short in duration and don't have much of an opportunity to accumulate a lot in any one location.

BTW, I thought that Feb 17th event looked familiar. It was the highly anticipated Big Dog that completely unraveled in the 11th hour...:lol:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

The task though is getting them to last long. Since summer rains tend to be more scattered and convective in nature, they're short in duration and don't have much of an opportunity to accumulate a lot in any one location.

BTW, I thought that Feb 17th event looked familiar. It was the highly anticipated Big Dog that completely unraveled in the 11th hour...:lol:

Honestly, there really weren't any downpours at least here. There was one decent one in like August. But it was brief.  And no, February 17th was not the anticipated big dog. You're thinking of February 2nd.  That 2 day, 2 wave totaled 0.82" precip, 9.2" snow.

16 hours ago, Powerball said:

As said, twas the early Feb storm that was the mega bust. You've got 50 years of data telling you that a map with more than 12" for DTW is only warranted once or twice in that timeframe. Idk what they were thinking tbh issuing those 12-18" calls? Ride history and 48 out of 50 times you'll be correct.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Honestly, there really weren't any downpours at least here. There was one decent one in like August. But it was brief.  And no, February 17th was not the anticipated big dog. You're thinking of February 2nd.  That 2 day, 2 wave totaled 0.82" precip, 9.2" snow.

Yeah, in much of the country, Summer downpours usually are brief and unorganized. You would do good for them to last 15 minutes. Anything longer is pretty exceptional. 

And yeah, that does sound right about February now (I thought the final amount was higher than 6 inches). 

14 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Getting some very much appreciated rain right now. Last hour DTW had .33 in an hour. .67 on the day so far.

I know it's silly to compare Rainer systems with snow systems, but it never fails to see deformation rain bands setup overhead but never get that lucky with snow bands lol.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I know it's silly to compare Rainer systems with snow systems, but it never fails to see deformation rain bands setup overhead but never get that lucky with snow bands lol.

Deform bands actually often give us better snow than the storm itself in many snowstorms. 

Today's rainstorm is a great sign for a stormier pattern setting up for Winter. We literally could not buy decent rains at any point during the warm season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Deform bands actually often give us better snow than the storm itself in many snowstorms. 

Today's rainstorm is a great sign for a stormier pattern setting up for Winter. We literally could not buy decent rains at any point during the warm season.

Yea I'd say were due for a snowy winter. The lack of rain and storm systems the past year+ has been weird, considering we've been in a la nina setup. Just goes to show you theres plenty more factors at play than enso and getting a snowstorm around here is like hoping to win a sports parlay, both of which have been avoiding me. It seems like it's been 5 years since we had a legit snowstorm, and that one happened in early Nov. Luckily I've been down in florida the past 3 winters. I'm officially finally moving to Florida next weekend. I wish it was yesterday so i wasnt around for this cold rain crap today. I stacked the delta skymiles and ready to fly back for snowstorms this winter.

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Was literally staring at the radar as the dry slot slide 10 miles to my SE and I was square in some nice deformation thinking the exact same thing.  Feel like I never get in the sweet spot, unless it's a rain storm.  

• Sad 1