Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

44 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If we get to ~December 10 with it being mild and no change on the horizon, then I'd be concerned about the remainder of the month.

Agree. At that point I would cut my losses for the month, enjoy the Christmas season, and prepare for the annual snowmageddon February while enduring the annual crap December

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

December isn’t going to be wall to wall mild.

Anyone with that idea might as well give up on it now.

Looking forward to your next in-depth pattern post.  I agree overall that December is unlikely to be the dumpster fire that we have come to know lately, but I just don't spend much time on long range stuff so I'd put more stock in what you and other knowledgeable folks are thinking.

We’ve had a nice winter this week in South Bend. Credit for this tidbit from WSBT-TV meteorologist Bob Werner: 

20.6" of snow we've had this week (11/12-18) is by far the most we've ever gotten during that time of the year! Previous most was 16.8" during 11/12-18/2014. 

For further perspective, 20.6" is more than the normal snowfall for all of December (13.7") or February (16.1").

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Looking forward to your next in-depth pattern post.  I agree overall that December is unlikely to be the dumpster fire that we have come to know lately, but I just don't spend much time on long range stuff so I'd put more stock in what you and other knowledgeable folks are thinking.

I remember December 2008 being extremely active around here.  The depth got up around 20" briefly before a rainer around Christmas destroyed it and caused a lot of roof leak issues..

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

I remember December 2008 being extremely active around here.  The depth got up around 20" briefly before a rainer around Christmas destroyed it and caused a lot of roof leak issues..

November 2014 had 31” in GRR. The rest of the winter was a letdown after that with a little over 40” the rest of the way. 

16 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

November 2014 had 31” in GRR. The rest of the winter was a letdown after that with a little over 40” the rest of the way. 

Wasn't GHD 2 that winter? Ofcourse I don't recall what Grand Rapids got from that but was a solid 18 here. Why I place it above the more touted GHD 1 around here which dropped a foot here and those 18 amounts up towards Grand Rapids. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

GHD-1 was 2011, GHD-2 was 2015

Kzoo (I-94) 14" & 20" respectively

GR (I-96) 17" & 8" respectively

Yeah I was referring to GHD ll since you mentioned that November 2014 which would be the same winter. Wasn't wall to wall snow like 13-14 but still a decent winter around here atleast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Wasn't GHD 2 that winter? Ofcourse I don't recall what Grand Rapids got from that but was a solid 18 here. Why I place it above the more touted GHD 1 around here which dropped a foot here and those 18 amounts up towards Grand Rapids. 

GHD 2 was mostly mass south.  There was around 7" total.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Feels kinda brutal out there, especially when the wind picks up.  Seems more like January 19 than November 19.

Was a couple counties north today and when the new snow began the WC was 11F. Enough winds to lift the couple inches that were on the fields into swirling ground squalls. Drifts were happening in earnest and the real feel was like a solid January day. Just standing outside to pump gas was brutal.