Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

How do you even grow a Palm tree in our northern climate? Meaning what happens to it from November through April? I'll pass

It depends on how hardy of a palm tree it is.

Less hardy ones need to be boxed with a heater, while the most hardy may survive with a garden blanket and a frost blanket.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Team evergreen represent. Although iirc Cyclone was working on a redwood? I could get behind that.

Yeah still am lol (dawn redwood).  It's doing well health wise, but hasn't grown much since last year.  Think it's still trying to get settled in before it takes off.  Supposed to grow 3ft+ per year so we'll see.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Had 1 marigold near my garage undamaged on 12-19-98 in S. Bend. Latest summer perennial in the history  of mby. Y'all got work to do. 

I was so pissed at that Dec (when I used to really obsess over snow).  Of course pure ecstasy came 2 weeks later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Pines are my second favorite type tree.

Red pines and white pines, in particular.

I love white pines and red pines. I want a red pine but I have no room lol. Had a baby one that died. In my office I love looking out at my neighbors big white pines.

I do my part lol. I have:

2 balsam firs

1 white pine

1 Norway spruce 

1 Douglas fir

1 blue spruce

1 autumn blaze maple

1 birch 

2 crimson maples

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah still am lol (dawn redwood).  It's doing well health wise, but hasn't grown much since last year.  Think it's still trying to get settled in before it takes off.  Supposed to grow 3ft+ per year so we'll see.

Do you know what the ground is like at depth there? Trees do have to grow down before they can grow up. Is there a deep hard layer of clay in the area? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Do you know what the ground is like at depth there? Trees do have to grow down before they can grow up. Is there a deep hard layer of clay in the area? 

We have deep, rich soil here with very little clay.  It's the best soil I've ever planted stuff in.  There's a slight sandyness to it too so great for drainage.

EDIT: Also planted last year was a sugar maple, northern red oak, white oak, celebration maple, and last fall a tulip poplar.  All but dawn grew pretty nicely this year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sbnwx85 said:

Pretty sure I’m seeing mosquitoes on my walk lol

Still have them here, I just captured a massive one the other day. The frosts also do nothing for my allergies.

Sat now up to 21C / 70F with high winds, that would be near 2020 levels of goodness. As for my updated 7 Day, can I have this every November?

Warm start to Nov Local 7 Day TWN Nov 4 2022.png

• Like 1