Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

ValpoVike

• 2 weeks later...

I had to fly out early morning the 27th and there was nobody at our house to measure. The 4 nearest COCORAHS stations reported T, 1.0, 1.3 and 1.4 inches of snow and there were a few patches in the shade when I came home yesterday that looked about an inch, so I'll call it our first 1.0 inch of the season on October 27th.

Up here in the Larimer foothills, I received about 3".  A bit of a disappointment as I was hoping for 4-5, but still very welcome.  This storm was however the "winter driving pipe cleaner"....the storm where people apparently have to re-learn how to drive on snow.  Even with such light accumulation, Estes Park was overloaded with accident reports and 36 was closed due to numerous slide-offs.

Perhaps a bit of a sleeper NW flow event for Summit County and other favored areas this week. Positioning on the upstream side of the trough is conducive enough to bring decent amounts of jet energy into the region, so I would expect orographically favored spots should be able to squeeze out some good localized showers over the next few days. Breckenridge already showing decent accumulation, I think some ski areas might be pleasantly surprised over the next few days.

• Like 1

6 inches at Breckenridge last night which already eclipsed forecasted snow totals for the week. 4 at Copper, 1-3 elsewhere. Another backdoor pulse of energy is coming down the trough tonight, perhaps a few more inches in favored areas. 

While this fluff won't do too much for the SWE of the snowpack, it is nice to see CO cash in a bit after just missing out on last weeks bonanza. 

• Like 1

It's kind of funny the 10:1 to 12:1 is still quite common even when the models with Kuchera snow ratios calculations say that won't happen. Another idea I had over the last few years. With streets that don't receive any plowing or salting, the total liquid equivalent of the snow is pretty much the main factor for how much snow/ice is packed onto the street after a day or so, given temperatures below freezing. Then, of course if it's 60 degrees the next day, that total liquid equivalent goes into puddles quickly.