Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2022 Medium-Long Range Discussion

CAPE

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

So much optimism about the pattern progression. Where are the debs speculating about what could go wrong?

I’ll start. 

I’m sure this isn’t the first time a good pattern showed on the models early winter and then fell apart when it was time for to to come to fruition. 

Have we seen similar mirages in Nov-Dec of recent winters?

Just now, Terpeast said:

I’ll start. 

I’m sure this isn’t the first time a good pattern showed on the models early winter and then fell apart when it was time for to to come to fruition. 

Ofc we have. And we know it is highly unlikely we see anything close to the 'ideal pattern' in a Nina. But we can dream. And the guidance teasing us with this is kinda fun as we head into Met winter. Luckily we can score in a flawed set up.

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I’ll start. 

Last year we started getting teased in late Nov/early Dec and the can got kicked into early January. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the can gets kicked 4-7 days here or maybe more. This really good pattern has only been teased for ~2 days so far also, so not exactly a lock yet.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Last year we started getting teased in late Nov/early Dec and the can got kicked into early January. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the can gets kicked 4-7 days here or maybe more. This really good pattern has only been teased for ~2 days so far also, so not exactly a lock yet.

Guidance has been waffling a bit from run to run, but seems to be moving towards a pretty favorable look. Pac jet configuration and MJO progression are no doubt big factors, along with default Nina tendencies.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Ofc we have. And we know it is highly unlikely we see anything close to the 'ideal pattern' in a Nina. But we can dream. And the guidance teasing us with this is kinda fun as we head into Met winter. Luckily we can score in a flawed set up.

There is some sort of weird decadal ao/nao cycle. I don't understand it other than it's obvious in the rear view. We've had a run of dog turd ao/nao years lately. Fluked out in 13-15 stretch. Atypical there. Last winter wasn't hostile. Almost seemed like blocking was making a comeback. Makes you wonder if this year is part of the eventual reversion. If it is then a winter with patterns like 95-96 isn't crazy talk. Snow beats to a different drum and that was a monster year. A redux there is def crazy talk haha

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There is some sort of weird decadal ao/nao cycle. I don't understand it other than it's obvious in the rear view. We've had a run of dog turd ao/nao years lately. Fluked out in 13-15 stretch. Atypical there. Last winter wasn't hostile. Almost seemed like blocking was making a comeback. Makes you wonder if this year is part of the eventual reversion. If it is then a winter with patterns like 95-96 isn't crazy talk. Snow beats to a different drum and that was a monster year. A redux there is def crazy talk haha

We are due for a persistently blocky winter. Why not in a Nina to boot? Eff the QBO and Strat water vapor BS lol. Nebulous shit.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

image.png.d9a92954264dbc96cee8117f42be24d1.png

if we do end up getting a Modoki Nino, which seems more likely, then there would be lots of blocking, especially late

I'd like to see this for the better snow odds obviously...but also to see if even this setup that's worked well in the past can still work today, lol (been so long I take nothing for granted!) Not saying it can't or won't...but I'll keep expectations in check for now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

The 0z GFS snows on us on the 7th with a wave tracking to our south and cold air pressing. Not out of the question given the advertised h5 look on the ens mean.

1670436000-lewCiztwDfo.png

GEFS has been consistently showing a decent TN valley overrunning setup in the 5th-7th window. The carving troughs aren't digging deep but are plenty cold. I like the breadth of the cold air. Flat and wide instead of a deep bowl.Gulf is open from what I keep seeing. Overrunning is one of the only ways for our sub to score together in early Dec. Ways out in time but it makes a lot of sense if it starts locking in next week. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That’s quite the stout 1044 HP on the 0z OP, too. 

A long way off and we know the op runs are not very useful for any sort of detail, but ya gotta like the h5 looks we are seeing on the means the last several runs. if it ends up being close to real, some early Dec frozen is on the table. Just not on the 10th ofc.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

GEFS has been consistently showing a decent TN valley overrunning setup in the 5th-7th window. The carving troughs aren't digging deep but are plenty cold. Gulf is open from what I keep seeing. Overrunning is one of the only ways for our sub to score together in early Dec. Ways out in time but it makes a lot of sense if it starts locking in next week. 

Yep an uncomplicated path for a frozen event, possibly for much of the region. Given the looks, southern VA into NC might be in the game. We may be seeing some fringed posts lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CAPE said:

Yep an uncomplicated path for a frozen event, possibly for much of the region. Given the looks, southern VA into NC might be in the game. We may be seeing some fringed posts lol.

Battle ground patterns with a block like to aim hoses at places for hot streaks. We've won some and lost more. Lol. Gotta have a chance before you can lose tho :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Hopefully we can score something small when the RELOAD starts to RELAX before we get our annual Xmas torch :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic