• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2022 Medium-Long Range Discussion

CAPE

To emphasize how subtle differences in the Siberian/Arctic PV could change how the RELAX looks, check the 12z vs 6z GEFS. 

12z: farther south in Siberia and less organized. -NAO looks worse actually relative to 6z, but without a pig PV setting up north of AK, we’re actually able to get some BN temps verbatim.

9B68CCBF-5877-4ABC-8315-C2CD7349238D.thumb.png.a6695da3b9b38d9321038fb228f331a0.pngAC13571D-58A9-400E-9870-A04FB8EB2417.thumb.png.64b2f519a7a4470a94a60c9d7699e8ca.png

6z: -NAO looking nice with ridging into Greenland and Davis straights, but the PV is stronger and more consolidated, driving a -PNA and floods the conus with PAC air.

2E7B062A-BCE8-40C1-850E-FA2D46551E93.thumb.png.9773c934217d7398d2ef540dc629c3b0.pngC7FB57BB-C5B8-4C62-9F82-126979409E01.thumb.png.8c19913e4b436814abd3204c5446a421.png

Given that, I wouldn’t put much stock in anything after the 28th or so. @CoastalWx mentioned this could be due to weak tropical forcing and hence the models bouncing around a lot. Makes sense, but with that PV, it could bounce between torch ahead of a cutter, but then a good cold push behind it with a transient -EPO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The 12z GFS made a *slight* shift towards a stormier outcome for Black Friday, lol.

Ha, thought the same thing when I just checked it. It had been in the FROPA crowd but decided to shift back to the CMC/Euro camp. I’m rooting for a deepening low so the mountains cash in on upslope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

Probably not east of the mountains.  My point is that the models are all over the place outside a few days.  Hopefully it will be a December to remember!!!

It's still November though, and its way too warm for frozen on those maps you posted. It has looked that way for many runs. I guess "cold around" is subjective. It has looked like a possibility of at least some snow for the western highlands on the backside for awhile now, but it's a different world out there.  B)

Good summary by LWX for the storm possibility later this week.

Model guidance begins to diverge a bit by Friday, but there has been
a bit more of a consensus in the 12z cycle, at least in the
deterministic runs. The ICON still hangs onto the solution that cuts
off a low over TX and tracks northward into the Mid-Atlantic.
However, the GFS, ECMWF, and Canadian all have a similar situation
where a strong upper trough digs into the central CONUS and moves
across the area Friday into Saturday before becoming negatively
tilted and lifting up the east coast. At the surface, all three have
strong lows nearby, with the GFS being the most bullish by far.
There remains a wide variety of solutions within the ensemble
guidance however, so that is something to take into account as we
monitor the trends in the coming days. At the very least, this is
something we need to keep a close eye on. For the time being, it
appears this would be more of a heavy rain and/or severe weather
threat depending on the track of any potential surface low.

Should these solutions verify, we would looking at a decent shot of
cold advection on Saturday, along with upslope snow showers along
the Allegheny Front and strong wind gusts in the wake of the system.
Temperatures will be highly dependent on what pattern ultimately
unfolds, with ensemble guidance currently advertising a wide range
of possible solutions.

53 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's still November though, and its way too warm for frozen on those maps you posted. It has looked that way for many runs. I guess "cold around" is subjective. It has looked like a possibility of at least some snow for the western highlands on the backside for awhile now, but it's a different world out there.  B)

When you say "Western Highlands". Do you mean far Western MD or the Highlands out here in Carroll County? I'm pretty high here lol

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

When you say "Western Highlands". Do you mean far Western MD or the Highlands out here in Carroll County? I'm pretty high here lol

The actual highlands lol. Allegheny front. Legit microclimate. I lived up your way for 10+ years, and it's nice compared to the lowlands and cities, but its a far cry from places like Canaan and Deep Creek.

• Like 1

I know everyone is moving on from Friday but I'm still hanging on the edge because I'm supposed to have some pretty significant outdoor plans so it's pretty annoying that the GFS has seemed to get rid of that storm entirely, yet the Euro still has plenty of rain. Let's get some consensus lol. 

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

I know everyone is moving on from Friday but I'm still hanging on the edge because I'm supposed to have some pretty significant outdoor plans so it's pretty annoying that the GFS has seemed to get rid of that storm entirely, yet the Euro still has plenty of rain. Let's get some consensus lol. 

I see what you mean.  Pretty big differences for Friday between the 0z op runs.  Should be deadly range for euro and GFS.  

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

I see what you mean.  Pretty big differences for Friday between the 0z op runs.  Should be deadly range for euro and GFS.  

GFS has the LP in Northern Texas on Saturday afternoon while Euro has it near Binghamton.  Lol

Interestingly enough, the CMC moved to the GFS solution that cuts off the trough over the central US.  

24 minutes ago, nj2va said:

GFS has the LP in Northern Texas on Saturday afternoon while Euro has it near Binghamton.  Lol

Interestingly enough, the CMC moved to the GFS solution that cuts off the trough over the central US.  

ICON looks like the Euro..sort of.  None of it is all that exciting if its not frozen.  Upslope is money however so I can root for that even if I can't personally enjoy it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nj2va said:

If its not gonna be cold enough for snow I'd rather it be dry. No point in washing away all the snow Wisp has made :snowman:.

I was all excited to try out my new snow tires but it doesn't look like I'll need them for this trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

^straight up RELOADED there! That’s a nice look. Hope that holds more or less.

If the early Dec deep western trough rolls quick like what's been happening all fall, Dec will keep a lot of people glued to screens every 6 hours :lol:. And if a stable block sets up then 10x as many will be glued...

• Like 18

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

If its not gonna be cold enough for snow I'd rather it be dry. No point in washing away all the snow Wisp has made :snowman:.

I was all excited to try out my new snow tires but it doesn't look like I'll need them for this trip.

The Euro just went towards the CMC (and previously the GFS) idea of deepening the trough and closing it off over west TX.  Seems like anything is on the table this weekend but agree, don’t want to see a washout especially in the mountains.  If we’re going to get a storm (and a marginal air mass), would prefer a wound up bomb so at least we get upslope on the backside.

18 minutes ago, Afewuniverses said:

Actually the 12z gefs doesn't have a workable pacific at all. OP run has a 570dm -EPO into Alaska, which is different from the last 4 runs. (maybe that's what you're referring to). GEFS has strong -PNA redeveloping at 384hr. It will probably trend toward a medium, but I wouldn't take that Pacific. 

You believe this is a hostile pac? We'd of killed for this jet structure multiple times in recent years. It's not perfect and it never is but the pac jet as depicted is slow/split/dirty with a cold air factory in Western Canada. I find that very workable 

gfs-ens_uv250_nhem_65.png

• Like 11

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic