Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2022 Medium-Long Range Discussion

CAPE

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Up in Perrysburg OH this weekend for a college buddy’s wedding. It went from 66 degrees and sunny yesterday to 34 and snow today. Fatty flakes too. Not really sticking to much but cartops, but beautiful nonetheless. Definitely feel bad for my friends who have to move their wedding indoors due to the snow :lol:

Winters almost back lads! This wave for next week looks somewhat interesting for us down in the DMV. Could see a bit of snow fall. From the typically colder areas from PSU over to Northern carroll and points WNW, particularly along the Allegheny front in WVA and W MD. Climo says it’s likely snow tv for 90%+ of us and a sloppy, cold rain near I-95, but we’ve seen crazier stuff happen in November.   

Thanks for the updates @Cape! Been waiting a year to see your wonderful posts. #SetupMaster

Could see some mood flakes, and what’s interesting is that the models show a few impulses along the SE coast in the next week or so. Maybe it’s just a blip, but it could also be a sign of what’s to come this winter whenever we get a positively tilted longwave trough centered over the US midwest.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Up in Perrysburg OH this weekend for a college buddy’s wedding. It went from 66 degrees and sunny yesterday to 34 and snow today. Fatty flakes too. Not really sticking to much but cartops, but beautiful nonetheless. Definitely feel bad for my friends who have to move their wedding indoors due to the snow :lol:

Winters almost back lads! This wave for next week looks somewhat interesting for us down in the DMV. Could see a bit of snow fall. From the typically colder areas from PSU over to Northern carroll and points WNW, particularly along the Allegheny front in WVA and W MD. Climo says it’s likely snow tv for 90%+ of us and a sloppy, cold rain near I-95, but we’ve seen crazier stuff happen in November.   

Thanks for the updates @Cape! Been waiting a year to see your wonderful posts. #SetupMaster

Thanks, but not really. Looking ahead and seeing the potential (rather than being stuck in the despair of a shit pattern) pays off once in awhile. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CAPE said:

Pattern as advertised on GEFS is 'getting there' towards the end of the month. The (upcoming) Pac jet retraction has the ideal ridge/trough position around AK inverted as depicted, so that could use some work. The AO is slightly+ to neutral. NAO trending negative.. moving into Dec ideally we see the NA +heights shifted a bit more over central/southern GL, with the associated trough further SE towards the 50-50 region, and some improvement in the Pacific. All that said, we see winter storms quite often with less than ideal h5 patterns. Need to get into the front end of snow climo period as much as anything.

1669550400-SAJ5TAdJx3Y.png

If the latest GEFS extended is correct, the Pacific pattern improves and flips the dipole, with a trough near the Aleutians and a Downstream ridge. Meanwhile the NAO domain also looks close to ideal. Pretty nice pattern heading into the second week of Dec if it's real.

1670630400-EkNLZSFsSLk.png

• Like 13
  • Weenie 1

Temps look solidly below average through Thanksgiving on the means, although the GEFS depicts some moderation sooner(around Thanksgiving) than the EPS. The period just beyond that looks milder with some relaxation in the pattern, as the amped ridge over AK looks to weaken and retrograde over the Aleutians. Then we will see about a reload heading into December.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nice reload. B)

Looks more like a Nino pattern. CFS has been bullish for a while now with the HL +heights for early winter, and other LR/ extended products are in agreement. Weenie west based -NAO/50-50 low.

1671148800-09iLIE5KJRQ.png

Man I love your posts. I definitely think with the modeling that December could be a great month.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Man I love your posts. I definitely think with the modeling that December could be a great month.

We can hope. Plenty of uncertainty with modeling of longwave patterns at 2+ week leads. It would be nice to have an h5 look like that for late Dec into Jan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Nice reload. B)

Looks more like a Nino pattern. CFS has been bullish for a while now with the HL +heights for early winter, and other LR/ extended products are in agreement. Weenie west based -NAO/50-50 low.

1671148800-09iLIE5KJRQ.png

Even a bit of split flow and a weakness off Baja that implies a touch of sub tropical jet. I wouldn't kick that look out of bed going into Christmas.

12 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Dec 2009 snowstorm was amazing. Classic cold powder with no temp worries.

All 3 of the biggies had no temp worries, despite somewhat marginal temps to start. The beauty of a legit -AO/-NAO in place. Hard to beat for us. We trend colder as the storm approaches/gets going rather than the usual opposite.

The real cold powder storm that winter was the late Jan event with temps in the mid teens the whole time. Underrated storm- loved that one.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yes climo is still a legit issue. The Euro has been colder during that window than the GFS, so we will see.

That’s some legit cold air (for November) before and especially after that storm. I’m going to look back at the last 10-15 Novembers and see where upper 10s/low 20s would rank if we manage to get that cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That’s some legit cold air (for November) before and especially after that storm. I’m going to look back at the last 10-15 Novembers and see where upper 10s/low 20s would rank if we manage to get that cold.

CMC has impressive cold too, but no storm.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic