Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2022 Medium-Long Range Discussion

CAPE

54 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Pretty good agreement for some sort of a workable pattern evolving over the next several weeks. Main issue would be climo ofc. December snow is highly desirable and romanticized, but not very often realized in the MA lowlands.

This is always the dilemma with good patterns in late November and early December. It’s still more apt to produce cold rain due to climo. I like seeing a good pattern arrive closer to mid December. We often get a can-kick with pattern changes as models rush it, so if we torch for 10-14 days, then maybe we have some level of transition for another 2 weeks, maybe we can get something good to start December. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This is always the dilemma with good patterns in late November and early December. It’s still more apt to produce cold rain due to climo. I like seeing a good pattern arrive closer to mid December. We often get a can-kick with pattern changes as models rush it, so if we torch for 10-14 days, then maybe we have some level of transition for another 2 weeks, maybe we can get something good to start December. 

Yep, a flip late nov would be too soon east of the blue ridge. Delay that a couple/few weeks, we’re golden

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Yep, a flip late nov would be too soon east of the blue ridge. Delay that a couple/few weeks, we’re golden

One of the greatest Winters, 1977-78 flipped late November. Of course we're talking a different era then. Would be nice to witness that again.

The modern era the later seems to be the desired. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

One of the greatest Winters, 1977-78 flipped late November. Of course we're talking a different era then. Would be nice to witness that again.

The modern era the later seems to be the desired. 

Yeah, the problem with an early flip to cold is that when it flips back warm, it usually means an early end to the winter in this “new” climo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CAPE said:

Pretty good agreement for some sort of a workable pattern evolving over the next several weeks. Main issue would be climo ofc. December snow is highly desirable and romanticized, but not very often realized in the MA lowlands.

There's a 50/50 in some of those extended looks, which would go a long way to helping us get just cold enough at that time of the season. We'd just need to time it right, which we all know we do quite well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

First 10 days of the month are a total torch, but ensembles are in agreement for now that it flips to a BN pattern after mid-month. 

EF7C14A0-30DB-4B92-81EE-E0AE4B750EAF.png

61DD0ABB-CEB2-4158-9BA0-00DB20F15F78.png

I mean that looks pretty good I suppose. I’m dreaming of a white Thanksgiving? Lol. Anyway—I just hope the flip can hold on into December.

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That part seems like a lock. But they’re still waffling on whether it couples with a +PNA and hence how chilly we get. 

Latest LR/extended guidance suggests a brief period of +PNA, but then it trends back neutral/negative. Generally seasonable temps for mid to late month looks like a good bet right now. Remains to be seen if we get some NAO help by the end of the month. Euro weeklies still suggestive of higher heights building over Greenland for early December.

17 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Latest LR/extended guidance suggests a brief period of +PNA, but then it trends back neutral/negative. Generally seasonable temps for mid to late month looks like a good bet right now. Remains to be seen if we get some NAO help by the end of the month. Euro weeklies still suggestive of higher heights building over Greenland for early December.

Was noticing this as well. Quick cold shot then a shift back to normal or slightly above. I mean, a lot of time to get the details. 

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

looks a little zonal nothing but pac puke air flowing across the country. 

Temp anomaly is around -3F at the surface for that period verbatim. Take it fwiw, and best to glean only the very general idea with these overly smoothed super LR tools. Ofc the actual h5 pattern for that timeframe could always end up the antithesis of what is currently being advertised. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic