Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 New England Foliage Thread

The 4 Seasons

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What a leaf emergency in the yard. The cleanup this weekend will be long. Likely one full day of blowing on Sunday FTL

They were on their way but slowed. Hopefully many drop in the wind. My yard looks like that dude across the street with leaves on his oaks. Lots to come down. 

54 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I despise leaves. Worst part of lawn chores 

I love when you get done cleaning up and the lawn looks all green and awesome. then you look out the window an hour later and there are leaves all over the place again. can't I just get 1 day of enjoyment looking at the clean lawn?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

I love when you get done cleaning up and the lawn looks all green and awesome. then you look out the window an hour later and there are leaves all over the place again. can't I just get 1 day of enjoyment looking at the clean lawn?

The worst. I just decided to delay any leaf cleanup this year until like 70% are down.  I was going to do a cleanup last weekend and glad I didn't, it became S+ leaf drop with .25 mile VIS later that day. Would have driven me mad. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The worst. I just decided to delay any leaf cleanup this year until like 70% are down.  I was going to do a cleanup last weekend and glad I didn't, it became S+ leaf drop with .25 mile VIS later that day. Would have driven me mad. 

That was today here. Feet came down. Lawn looks like the forest floor. Makes me sick to my stomach looking out at it . I’ll hit it Sunday . And drink a lot of beer until then 

M2f3cFM.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was today here. Feet came down. Lawn looks like the forest floor. Makes me sick to my stomach looking out at it . I’ll hit it Sunday . And drink a lot of beer until then 

M2f3cFM.jpg

Looks pretty nice to be honest. Looks like the woods how they are supposed to look this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

M2f3cFM.jpg

Looks like you can just blow them into the back woods area. Some people have to bag them, my brother used to have over 50 bags every year.

55 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Looks like you can just blow them into the back woods area. Some people have to bag them, my brother used to have over 50 bags every year.

I ended up doing it today . Was a 6 hour job. I started the blower at 7:45 AM. To your question.. yes I can blow them into woods .. but look how deep they are. It takes an inordinate amount of time to move that amount of leaf mass.. especially when you have so many flowerbeds and have to blow them out of the bushes , but be careful not to blow out all the mulch. I have a friend.. he’s frugal.. he refuses to spend $600 for a solid horsepower backpack blower and instead insists on using a cheapie handheld that plugs in and rakes like it’s 1982.. I have been trying to convince him for many many years to spend a bit .. to save time , effort and make it easy. He doesn’t understand .

6VJxZpn.jpgoc0TyQE.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I ended up doing it today . Was a 6 hour job. I started the blower at 7:45 AM. To your question.. yes I can blow them into woods .. but look how deep they are. It takes an inordinate amount of time to move that amount of leaf mass.. especially when you have so many flowerbeds and have to blow them out of the bushes , but be careful not to blow out all the mulch. I have a friend.. he’s frugal.. he refuses to spend $600 for a solid horsepower backpack blower and instead insists on using a cheapie handheld that plugs in and rakes like it’s 1982.. I have been trying to convince him for many many years to spend a bit .. to save time , effort and make it easy. He doesn’t understand .

6VJxZpn.jpgoc0TyQE.jpg

I agree, a good backpack blower is worth the money, I still have my old electric blower but the backpack is ten times better.,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I agree, a good backpack blower is worth the money, I still have my old electric blower but the backpack is ten times better.,

Even for the folks that have to bag leaves.. you invest in the backpack. Quickly blow into piles onto tarps and start bagging. They just don’t get it.. and are cheap 

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Sweet homestead!  What’s the provenance of the property, if you don’t mind my asking?  

It was built by the previous owner’s father in 2002 who owned a stone company I believe. He built it on steel beams so we could probably withstand a raging sne cat5 that some wish for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have an Ego battery powered mower, which I love.  I am considering getting one of their leaf blowers at some point.  Anyone have one?    I think I had this same question last year…   

I have a ryobi battery leaf blower and it’s a beast. Comparable to the smelly and loud gas guzzlers my neighbors have. I use the lawn sweeper though for the grass areas while they spend a full day blowing their lawns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nice, how many passes can you do before you have to dump it?

It depends on how deep the leaf pack is. I generally sweep when the grass is still visible so I get 2-3 passes in. It picks up twigs and pretty much anything…and if I set it lower it acts as a dethatcher as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It depends on how deep the leaf pack is. I generally sweep when the grass is still visible so I get 2-3 passes in. It picks up twigs and pretty much anything…and if I set it lower it acts as a dethatcher as well. 

Sounds like I need one. I did a lot of raking today. Pushed my back to the limit :yikes: 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Sounds like I need one. I did a lot of raking today. Pushed my back to the limit :yikes: 

Raking's for suckers, there's much easier ways to do it, not sure what the Iceberg's sweeper is though, my neighbor had a sweeper when I was a kid and you couldn't get 20 feet without it getting full.