Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022-2023 Digital Snow Thread

SnowenOutThere

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’ve thought about tracking model snowfall as predicted at 24/48/72hrs through the season, but I’d do it manually and that’s a lot of work. 

Yeah...ton of work to do it manually. It would be a neat project though!

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

You would have to apply some sort of weighting to it.  Like, if a random GFS 18z run threw out 20” of snow at the 312 hour mark, but then took it away, you can’t seriously say that the GFS forecasted 20” of snow that never occurred.

Exactly. You'd have to come up with a formula to weight the model output, then ideally connect to model output via API that would write to a table, then source from that table via some sort of code to get your own output.

I think it would be a super cool thing to do, but like I said, I don't have nearly the technical chops to do it! Honestly, just coming up with the logic would be a big task!

25 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Exactly. You'd have to come up with a formula to weight the model output, then ideally connect to model output via API that would write to a table, then source from that table via some sort of code to get your own output.

You could just take every 0z run for a two day period then get another 0z and repeat  so you don’t get far out fantasy storms. 

5 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

You would have to apply some sort of weighting to it.  Like, if a random GFS 18z run threw out 20” of snow at the 312 hour mark, but then took it away, you can’t seriously say that the GFS forecasted 20” of snow that never occurred.

But Ji said... oh

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

Oh snap.  I'm going up the the mountain the second week of November.  Might have to pack some snowshoes.  Change it to kuchera ratios and our tent will collapse under the weight of all that snow.  

Going to DCL the first weekend in November. Fingers crossed we see some snow that weekend.

• Like 1