• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022- Obs

Fantom X

Upper 30s (38-39) for all three of 10/19-21 at KSAV with new record low and coldest so early in the season since 2001 on 10/19. KSVN similar except 40 on 10/19.

The three sub 40 lows this month at KSAV compares to an average of only 1/2 a day that cold in the full month of October since records started in 1874. The record number of sub 40 lows in October is five with more than three occurring only four times, three times during the cold 1960s and the other time in 2001.

Having three sub 40 lows by October 21st is a new record that beat the old record of two sub 40 lows by October 21st set only once (in 1954). Also, October 21st beats the old record earliest for the third sub 40 low by six days (old record of October 27th for the 3rd sub 40 low set both in 1962 and 1965).

So, it wasn't just the intensity of this early cold event that was noteworthy for the deep SE US. It was also the duration.

• Like 1

From what I've read, the northern burbs of Atlanta are largely near or nearing peak already here in late October. I don't think it has occurred this early in many years. This of course is due to the chilly late Sep to mid Oct. Back in much of the 1980s, there were some years that peaked there this early. But in most years since, the peak has been in early to mid Nov. 

After three very wet months that brought my water table very high in early Sept, I measured rainfall during only one period in October, the night of 10/12-13, and it was 0.45". This compares to a normal of nearly 4"! It looks like the dryness of La Niña, which had made it extremely dry here from  the middle of Nov of last year through May of this year, has taken back over. Actually, going way back to September 11th, I've received a mere 1.25" and that includes 0.75" from Ian! 

It was a pleasantly cool October with lows ~5 BN and highs ~2 BN yielding a greater than normal October daily range  due to the dryness. It was easily the coolest October since 2011.

OCTOBER STATS MBY

NOTABLE STATS

5 DAYS LOW BELOW 32 CONSECUTIVE

3 NIGHTS BELOW 30 CONSECUTIVE

HIGH LOW
Temperature 82.0 °F 28.4 °F 55.7 °F
Dew Point 68.0 °F 28.2 °F 48.8 °F
Humidity 99 % 28 % 81 %
Precipitation 1.35 in -- --

High Low Average

Pressure 30.32 in 29.53 in