Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Kids test better in school with early daylight, and are more likely to be obese, depressed and sedentary with that early darkness.  Pick the poison, ha.

Its always a big topic in the northern tier rural zones.  I had an entire UVM course around the Maine Winter Sports Center and combating lack of activity in kids (and their parents) during the darkest and coldest times of the year.  Got some great trips out of that class to Fort Kent, lol.

I’ve always wondered how activity levels after school and work would be if we could combine heat with low daylight.  Like gets dark at 4pm but it’s still 80F at 8pm.  Does that change routines of basically hibernating (especially more rural communities) during the dark time of year.

ha..We're at war today, pf. I think blaming an hour time difference is an excuse; that's the part of the statement I disagree with.  Eat better, make time to exercise and people will be healthier.   It's probably harder during the short days in the winter, but if people just say screw it, then that's the results they'll get.  Long summer days are awesome too.  I guess it's just part of the change of seasons to me.

And even though 12z op went warmer, I think the cold the 10th through the 15th is a bit stronger on the ensemble than the previous run.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

ha..We're at war today, pf. I think blaming an hour time difference is an excuse; that's the part of the statement I disagree with.  Eat better, make time to exercise and people will be healthier.   It's probably harder during the short days in the winter, but if people just say screw it, then that's the results they'll get.  Long summer days are awesome too.  I guess it's just part of the change of seasons to me.

And even though 12z op went warmer, I think the cold the 10th through the 15th is a bit stronger on the ensemble than the previous run.  

Haha for sure life choices trump everything.  I was just playing the devils advocate and sourpuss at losing my end of day light outside with the dog… already transitioning to the headlamp.

Bottom line… Get out and ski or ride ;).  Luckily there are places that turn on the lights for that too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

So what does it take to finish off the yellow jackets for the season? Mid 20s?  Lower 20’s? 

We have already had multiple mornings  below freezing here and several in the upper 20s yet they’re still going.  :fulltilt:

Hate the bastards. Out in force today. Usually try to avoid but so fed up I'm actively crushing them in my hands. Their season seems to be getting longer.

• Like 1

Out hunting this morning and sat for a few hours before scouting out the property were hunting, There was a beehive in a tree at least 12' off the ground the size of a beach ball, I was not getting up close to see if anyone was home in there, I'll try to get a pic next time out.

68891432136__A964B2F9-8E1B-4856-861F-C8862029BB96.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Out hunting this morning and sat for a few hours before scouting out the property were hunting, There was a beehive in a tree at least 12' off the ground the size of a beach ball, I was not getting up close to see if anyone was home in there, I'll try to get a pic next time out.

68891432136__A964B2F9-8E1B-4856-861F-C8862029BB96.jpg

Likely some still alive but docile. I wouldn't push it. White face smart.

• Like 1