Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Slightly different weather 11 years ago today.

I think this time 11 years ago we were reading all those obs from southern CT where brief RA- flipped to snow and many started as straight snow. That’s when I was thinking “this is prob overperforming somewhere”….no QPF wasted. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think this time 11 years ago we were reading all those obs from southern CT where brief RA- flipped to snow and many started as straight snow. That’s when I was thinking “this is prob overperforming somewhere”….no QPF wasted. 

BDL started as straight snow right? LOL. 

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty heavy frost here even on the hill. Kind of surprised. 

Oh you could smell it coming ... I know that might sound weird but -

I don't speak for everyone's experience; certain weather types have an aroma to me.   Last night it was 42 at 7:10 and the scent of the ambiance  between car and grocery store was 'icy'.  I remember thinking this'll freeze.

27 here ..with a couple of 25s dappled around home sites.   It's been a number of years since I've caught this, but ...still air ( I mean dead still), cold attributed leaf fall.   They rained under canopies through the sideways sun of morning.   The late holdouts were caving to seasonal change. 

Unfortunately ...the modeling tenor sings a different tune for the next 10 days, lol.  But you know,  even in bootlegging, it's heralding, because we're not likely doing this on still nights a month ago. 

It's probably regional/ethos -determined behavior, but around SNE ... are children even TOTing on Halloween any more? 

It seems there are too many protocols to make that a faith's perfection anymore.  Like...you have to inspect all the candy - if you are a good parent/care giver.  And at some point in doing so, the spirit of it all is so ruined it almost gets embarrassing that your actually inspecting fucking candy.  If it is that much trouble, why are we doing this? 

I guess maybe it's a learning op, a life lesson for kids never to trust the largess of anyone, and that community spirit of any kind is in reality, a "fauxity" that can't be trusted and is bullshit.  Great!

On the flip side, having poison and/or pins and needles lodged into mini Snickers ...is just the sort of evil that should be represented by the celebration demons - so there's that too. Humanity has gone and made the date literal.

I'm being snarky ... obviously. Still, the whole idea of it seems exposed and sort of fading - like some future generation would tell their grand  kids, 'back when we used to -'.   We had Halloween "canceled" ( how does one cancel that? Like is some cop going to arrest a kid for TOTing) locally like 5 times in the last 7 years for either snow storms or pandemics ... And if it's a risk anyway in a year when those factors aren't intervening, it just seems like why even engage when there's so many hoops to jump through.   interesting-

The only Halloween. I can recall being cancelled or postponed here was for the 2011 Octobomb.  That just delayed it by a week.  
We had trick or treating even for Halloween 2020 despite the sub freezing temps and snow on the ground and Covid.  It was different but it still happened here.  We set up a table in our driveway, had a fire pit , and stayed 6 feet or more from the kids when needed.  We spread out the candy on the table so they weren’t digging in a bowl.  
Last year was back to normal.  

Definitely  fewer kids come by now than 20 years ago and that is probably due to our small town setting up activities in our “downtown”.  

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's probably regional/ethos -determined behavior, but around SNE ... are children even TOTing on Halloween any more? 

It seems there are too many protocols to make that a faith's perfection anymore.  Like...you have to inspect all the candy - if you are a good parent/care giver.  And at some point in doing so, the spirit of it all is so ruined it almost gets embarrassing that your actually inspecting fucking candy.  If it is that much trouble, why are we doing this? 

I guess maybe it's a learning op, a life lesson for kids never to trust the largess of anyone, and that community spirit of any kind is in reality, can't be trusted and is bullshit.  Great!

On the flip side, having poison and/or pins and needles lodged into mini Snickers ...is just the sort of evil that should be represented by the celebration demons - so there that too. 

I'm being snarky ... obviously. Still, it the whole idea of it seems exposed and sort of fading - like some future generation would tell their grand  kids, 'back when we used to -'.   We had Halloween "canceled" ( how does one cancel that? Like is some cop going to arrest a kid for TOTing) locally like 5 times in the last 7 years for either snow storms or pandemics ... And if it's a risk anyway in a year when those factors aren't intervening, it just seems like why even engage?   interesting-

Last year we had more than 175 Trick or Treaters stop by the palatial estate in Methuen....I swear they were parachuting into the neighborhood

See the source image

• Haha 1

yes, kids still trick or treat. the only real difference i see is more households leaving candy in a basket out front, likely a residual practice from the pandemic that stuck with some people. I didn't think people still worried about needles in their candy apple. That kinda gives me a 90s vibe. But all of that is a product of safety-ism of more recent generations, and I'm not sure it correlates with it being more likely to happen

19 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The only Halloween. I can recall being cancelled or postponed here was for the 2011 Octobomb.  That just delayed it by a week.  
We had trick or treating even for Halloween 2020 despite the sub freezing temps and snow on the ground and Covid.  It was different but it still happened here.  We set up a table in our driveway, had a fire pit , and stayed 6 feet or more from the kids when needed.  We spread out the candy on the table so they weren’t digging in a bowl.  
Last year was back to normal.  

Definitely  fewer kids come by now than 20 years ago and that is probably due to our small town setting up activities in our “downtown”.  

In Methuen the kids must get enough candy to last well into retirement:

Last night at the hs football game there was a Trunk N Treat event.

Tomorrow  The Loop(outdoor mall) has its trick or treating

On Halloween Trick or Treating is from 5-7 but usually kids start showing up around 430 ish....usually accompanied by every adult in their family.

23 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

yes, kids still trick or treat. the only real difference i see is more households leaving candy in a basket out front, likely a residual practice from the pandemic that stuck with some people. I didn't think people still worried about needles in their candy apple. That kinda gives me a 90s vibe. But all of that is a product of safety-ism of more recent generations, and I'm not sure it correlates with it being more likely to happen

yeah... folks initial response to that missive, they seem too focused on the exact words instead of seeing the essence of 'dark humor' point?

I'm not saying tainted treats is ubiquitous practice.    

I'm speaking to the holiday's TOT practice being sullied by a panoply of reasons; at what point do folks begin to evaluate the futility of the engagement and stop forcing it?   ... if they are jumping through weather, or Pandemic, or pathos in society. 

As far as the tainted candy, I "think" that was a fad among nut jobs more like the 1980s? - but that's no sociological aver.  But -et el- nowaday, that "might be" something one would question more so than ever.   I mean, this expose' proving that there are far more people amongst us coveting a wish to do harm, randomly, triggered by their own unpredictable psychosis - at what point does the 1980s become fun for fucks again. 

It's more of a frustration tongue in cheeker

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah... folks initial response to that missive, they seem too focused on the exact words instead of seeing the essence of 'dark humor' point?

I'm not saying tainted treats is ubiquitous practice.    

I'm speaking to the holiday's TOT practice being sullied by a panoply of reasons; at what point do folks begin to evaluate the futility of the engagement and stop forcing it?   ... if they are jumping through weather, or Pandemic, or pathos in society. 

As far as the tainted candy, I "think" that was a fad among nut jobs more like the 1980s? - but that's no sociological aver.  But -et el- nowaday, that "might be" something one would question more so than ever.   I mean, this expose' proving that there are far more people amongst us coveting a wish to do harm, randomly, triggered by their own unpredictable psychosis - at what point does the 1980s become fun for fucks again. 

It's more of a frustration tongue in cheeker

and in the 60's and 70's. There were less nut jobs back then than now, but it was still a concern

18 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

and in the 60's and 70's. There were less nut jobs back then than now, but it was still a concern

the caveat to my point is though I think that we were on a trajectory to a safer society overall, post-pandemic society has trended back to hell in a handbag. and then throw in the mass societal experiment that is big pharma anxiety/depression meds, and the near term impact and yet tbd impact social media has had on the population..we are living one big experiment with no good leaders (cultural or political) at the steering wheel. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

43 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yeah “poison in the candy” or “razor blades in the candy” was definitely a 1990s thing. I first remember hearing about it in the early 90s. Maybe even late 1980s. Then it kind of went away within a decade. 

37 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

the caveat to my point is though I think that we were on a trajectory to a safer society overall, post-pandemic society has trended back to shit in a handbag. and then throw in the mass societal experiment that is big pharma anxiety/depression meds, and the near term impact and yet tbd impact social media has had on the population..we are living one big experiment with no good leaders (cultural or political) at the steering wheel. 

Basically .. .teetering with a dystopian melt-down of society constructs - yup. I agree with what I suspect you are dancing with there...  To quote an oft' miss-used trope, we find our selves culturally fighting off a rather Orwellian stench.  It's sort of incarnate. 

There's a histrionic wave surging through modernity,  that is a stimulus response to all that is zapping the minds of the populations that constitute modernity... It's basically this simple:  take a community in a state of quiescence; destabilize the status quo significantly enough; panic ensues; stability dissolves.  That basic recipe we are witnessing, extended beyond a single generational time span is consistent with present global state of affairs.  Due to technology? - I don't want to impugn it like a fringe ideologue, but fact of the matter is..it matches a pattern that appears to recur throughout history.

So is borne a hypothesis of mine, venturing into anthropology of modern man (which I am a Meteorologist so it's a bit of a stretch HAHAHA)  But weather guys/gals tend to see patterns in shit.  I don't know.  But looking back across history... what has happened a decade or two (or shorter) prior to most of the large scaled states of duress (war)?  - a wave of unsettling information disrupted the status quo.  In more modern times, the radior preceded WW1 ...--> WWII became incensed and was really a continuation of the same hostility, but Industrial Revolution's tech began to alter humanity and provide even more informational resources that offered more corruption of assumption and lent to populous movements ..inevitably WWII.  Surveilance of foreign affairs became the paranoia affair of all the "world Pentagons" so ... we become Military response happy species - those that guide in part or fully within Industrial advantage.   But if we go back, paranoia and destabilization can be linked to the fall of the Roman Empire...  There are other examples.  War was preceded by waves of destabilzing senses of mass security. 

We are in that state with how the Internet has been transformative.   Hence the "prediction" may not end so well ;) ...I mean, if there's any truth to the former hypothesis.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah “poison in the candy” or “razor blades in the candy” was definitely a 1990s thing. I first remember hearing about it in the early 90s. Maybe even late 1980s. Then it kind of went away within a decade. 

Oh yeah ...'90s. I think I said 80s but it was more 90s.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Missed the good stuff - 10-16 forecast verified 4.5".

Crispy morning w/thick frost, low-mid 20s.  Pretty quiet for the residents-only deer opener.