• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

Incredibly still night tonight. Past 4 days of rain and mank have helped preserve whatever semblance of warm season remains.

Remarkable that on 10/26 in central New England you can still hear the forest vibrating with life. Don't remember that ever happening this late in the season.

Whatever critters weren't killed off by the freeze 2 weeks ago are making their sounds loud and clear tonight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Incredibly still night tonight. Past 4 days of rain and mank have helped preserve whatever semblance of warm season remains.

Remarkable that on 10/26 in central New England you can still hear the forest vibrating with life. Don't remember that ever happening this late in the season.

Whatever critters weren't killed off by the freeze 2 weeks ago are making their sounds loud and clear tonight.

It’s been a very strange … perhaps under the radar of anyone caring, week of synoptic weather. 

• Like 3

In the bizzaro, non-weather department: we were sitting on the couch watching a movie and the dog freaked out from a sound sleep because there was a knock at the door.  
I opened the door and there were two EMTs standing there and an ambulance in our driveway.  They had the wrong house!  Better still, they had no idea what the right house was.  I asked them if it was a 911 call and they didn’t know, they said “dispatch doesn’t tell us those details.”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

While not quite as odd as @HIPPYVALLEY’s experience, I had an odd one too. This morning I was sitting in my office on a meeting and I heard a bang. I didn’t think much about because we have trucks and stuff going by all the time and there are even occasional explosions from the quarry up the road. A couple of minutes later the doorbell rings and there is a guy on my porch holding my mailbox. I asked him what happened and he says he has bad tires and the rain made the road slick and he sideswiped my mailbox. Now, we had had about a tenth of an inch at that point so his tires must have been bald. At least he went and bought me a new mailbox. I probably should have told him to just put the money towards new tires. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They actually lean in off the plank and eat the sunflower seeds. Sometimes I find the plank knocked over and the seeds emptied with only shells left on top of water and ground . Nothing makes me more angry.  I absolutely lose it. I hate them 

Shoot him and fry him up for dinner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gotta be kidding....I just smashed a mosquito in my house. :axe:

Yeah I did the same thing yesterday to a couple of those little buggers, couldn’t believe it! I wonder if there’s some sort of record on this board for the latest anyone has encountered a dreaded mosquito either inside or out. We must be getting close to record territory by now.

2 hours ago, Snowedin said:

Yeah I did the same thing yesterday to a couple of those little buggers, couldn’t believe it! I wonder if there’s some sort of record on this board for the latest anyone has encountered a dreaded mosquito either inside or out. We must be getting close to record territory by now.

I’ve seen them in November and after frosts. It takes successive freezes.

While not quite as odd as [mention=919]HIPPYVALLEY[/mention]’s experience, I had an odd one too. This morning I was sitting in my office on a meeting and I heard a bang. I didn’t think much about because we have trucks and stuff going by all the time and there are even occasional explosions from the quarry up the road. A couple of minutes later the doorbell rings and there is a guy on my porch holding my mailbox. I asked him what happened and he says he has bad tires and the rain made the road slick and he sideswiped my mailbox. Now, we had had about a tenth of an inch at that point so his tires must have been bald. At least he went and bought me a new mailbox. I probably should have told him to just put the money towards new tires. 
Most people would have driven off. We need more people like that in this world

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Snowedin said:

I've seen them in my house in December. But then I live in the malarial swamps of southern CT, so not all that surprising.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So so torched and so so boring for many many more weeks , maybe months 

Just enjoy the nice weather at this point…the rubber band will snap back, and just maybe we’ll time it right.  For now it’s going to be a nice stretch, nothing wrong with that at this juncture. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Just enjoy the nice weather at this point…the rubber band will snap back, and just maybe we’ll time it right.  For now it’s going to be a nice stretch, nothing wrong with that at this juncture. 

Weekend looks great. Will be cool Friday into Saturday. Hopefully  gfs is right for Monday. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The EPO goes negative and some Scandinavian ridge starts to appear towards mid month, but that -PNA is not going anywhere. In mid winter it would work, but with November wave lengths that's pretty warm I think.

Yea, its frustrating for me because its just kept trending warmer....my Novie composite initially looked great last week. I need the warmth centered in the N plains for November. 

Something tells me the change will get pushed back a decent amount, too.