Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oak forest FTMFL

yeah i got 'em too. they suck. i wish they would fall all at once like most maples, instead of taking 4 weeks. And even then, stragglers left on the tree until spring. there is nothing worse than seeing brown oak leaves on top of  fresh snow. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I know the area and route you took well. Beautiful ride through the Debouile trail. 

funny thing, I Was on my way up there in Dec of 06 as that one(storm) was wrapping  up…drove all night, and had to pull into rest area just before Medway to sleep due to the mesmerizing nature of the heavy snow at night for hrs on end. 95 was one lane and barely passable, I was in 4 wheel hi towing my new trailer and new sled doing 30 mph if that, to St Agatha.  A 9-10 hour trip took about 17 hrs. So Exhausting.   When I arrived at the lodge at about 10am…the area was buried under close to 40”.   Needless to say we broke trail for a couple days until grooming operations could get caught up…quite the experience. 

Surprised that I-95 was that bad in 12/05, as the real dump came north of HUL.  Data that I've found had MLT with 7" paste (I had a cold rainy Grinch), HUL with 11", Bridgewater at 16" and then the bomb - PQI with 25" and CAR at 33.1", their biggest on record, taking down the 29.0" of 3/14-5/84.  Chronically undermeasuring Fort Kent reported 30" but I think it was closer to 40, as their data seems often to be merely the increase in pack rather than the new snow.  Numbers below:

12/25   25   18   0.05"   0.5"    6"    Actually on 12/24 but included in 7 AM obs time
12/26   27   24   1.35   14.0"   20"
12/27   25   13   2.41"  16.0"   36"
CAR's 33.1" came on 3.22", so 10.3 ratio.  FK shows similar temps, similar ratio on 12/26 then 6.6-to-1 on the 27th.  I'd guess they actually had 20-25" between 7 AM on 12/26 and 24 hours later.

Had a similar adventure many years ago when driving home to FK from NNJ.  We left my parents' place about 4 PM on 12/29/76, in standard cab half-ton pickup, 2WD, with wife, son, cat, dog.  (Couldn't find pet sitter. :()  We hit snowy roads in S.Mass, falling snow south of Kennebunk, and when we approached BGR at 4 AM in S+ we tried sleeping until sunrise at the Newburgh rest area, but it was too cold.  Stopped at Hojo's in BGR for my large coffee and continued, but by the time we got to Medway that coffee and everything else was begging for release - thankfully the rest area (just tables and outhouse) had TP.  Plows were alternating left lane and right and the wind was now blowing left to right, so if there was a gust as we caught up to a left-lane plow, instant blackout - could not see the yellow strobes from 100 feet away so just coasted until the wind let up.  Sunrise at Mars Hill reinvigorated us and we got home about 9 AM in light snow, light wind.  A couple minutes later the 30G50 NW winds arrived and we couldn't see the Pelletier Florist place across the street - very happy that didn't hit as we drove thru the potato fields between PQI and CAR.  There had been a ~2-foot event on 12/26-27 and between that and the 11" event that livened up our trip, my wife's blue Beetle was a white lump, not a square inch showing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Surprised that I-95 was that bad in 12/05, as the real dump came north of HUL.  Data that I've found had MLT with 7" paste (I had a cold rainy Grinch), HUL with 11", Bridgewater at 16" and then the bomb - PQI with 25" and CAR at 33.1", their biggest on record, taking down the 29.0" of 3/14-5/84.  Chronically undermeasuring Fort Kent reported 30" but I think it was closer to 40, as their data seems often to be merely the increase in pack rather than the new snow.  Numbers below:

12/25   25   18   0.05"   0.5"    6"    Actually on 12/24 but included in 7 AM obs time
12/26   27   24   1.35   14.0"   20"
12/27   25   13   2.41"  16.0"   36"
CAR's 33.1" came on 3.22", so 10.3 ratio.  FK shows similar temps, similar ratio on 12/26 then 6.6-to-1 on the 27th.  I'd guess they actually had 20-25" between 7 AM on 12/26 and 24 hours later.

Had a similar adventure many years ago when driving home to FK from NNJ.  We left my parents' place about 4 PM on 12/29/76, in standard cab half-ton pickup, 2WD, with wife, son, cat, dog.  (Couldn't find pet sitter. :()  We hit snowy roads in S.Mass, falling snow south of Kennebunk, and when we approached BGR at 4 AM in S+ we tried sleeping until sunrise at the Newburgh rest area, but it was too cold.  Stopped at Hojo's in BGR for my large coffee and continued, but by the time we got to Medway that coffee and everything else was begging for release - thankfully the rest area (just tables and outhouse) had TP.  Plows were alternating left lane and right and the wind was now blowing left to right, so if there was a gust as we caught up to a left-lane plow, instant blackout - could not see the yellow strobes from 100 feet away so just coasted until the wind let up.  Sunrise at Mars Hill reinvigorated us and we got home about 9 AM in light snow, light wind.  A couple minutes later the 30G50 NW winds arrived and we couldn't see the Pelletier Florist place across the street - very happy that didn't hit as we drove thru the potato fields between PQI and CAR.  There had been a ~2-foot event on 12/26-27 and between that and the 11" event that livened up our trip, my wife's blue Beetle was a white lump, not a square inch showing.

Being it was dark(the tunnel affect) and the snow falling and accumulating very quickly…made road conditions very difficult and treacherous, and super slow going on 95/Maine turnpike that evening and overnight.  And then towing in that just added to the stress and difficulty.   

Came home 4 years ago towing in the blizzard on 3/14/18 that hit eastern areas, and then headed up into Maine, and as soon as I got on 95 south in Houlton, it went bazurk.  White out at times, but being it was morning/day time (10 am or so), it wasn’t as bad as it was at night. No picnic and one lane open for 4-5 hrs of travel towing a trailer down through Maine, but definitely better than doing that at night. 

Images below are from interstate 95 south on 3/14/18  just after I got on in Houlton, ME.  Got worse than that as I headed south that day, as I came into the heart of that storm. That was the storm that dumped on Ray big time. I traveled home in that.  Made a normally 9 hour ride home, about 13 hrs that trip. 

6F77BB84-FD1A-425B-A5E1-9A9FDDF5E074.jpeg

87C44155-EAB9-4136-84F0-E40BC954DC16.jpeg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Look at this fat bastard. If on phone .. zoom in. That is as obese an animal as you’ll ever see. Dudes fat , happy, laughing at me . Guess what .. taste the red hot .. biatch (in a Snoop Dog voice) 

HfIUWAQ.jpg

Why don’t you take care of them the way you took care of all those chipmunks a few years ago?

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Why don’t you take care of them the way you took care of all those chipmunks a few years ago?

They actually lean in off the plank and eat the sunflower seeds. Sometimes I find the plank knocked over and the seeds emptied with only shells left on top of water and ground . Nothing makes me more angry.  I absolutely lose it. I hate them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1