Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And sometimes the farther north, the better.  Best example was 2005-06 when Aroostook got a 25-35" dump on Dec 25-27 and very little after that.  In mid-February a fellow from Corpus Christi called the manager of Aroostook State Park (west from PQI) about sledding.  The manager said it was terrible there but okay in the St. John Valley.  Hard to imagine telling someone from south Texas that central Aroostook in February didn't have good snow. 
A month later was my one and only long day on a sled, and only experience with a 4-cycle - smoothest throttle and response of any (of the few) sleds I've driven.  Temp was 30-32 the day after a significant rain; most trails had recent grooming, so they were smooth but soft.  We started from the Northern Door in Fort Kent and rode trails to Eagle Lake, then went off the groomed trails with some water-on-ice crossings, gassed up in town and rode to Deboullie, the last part off the groomer trails again.  Riding across Deboullie Pond on 1" new above slush was an adventure; I was fortunate to not be one of the sleds that paunched into the slop.  By the time I got back to the motel I'd had more than enough - only 120 miles or so, but I had lots of extra exercise trying to keep up with people who knew how to ride.  ;)

Stayed there last year. Nice folks. I had to drill a couple holes larger on my sled to put some ice scratchers on and the owner brought me to basement and sized up a good drill, drill and extension cord. I was out in the driveway drilling away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

But piggy shows some signs of breaking down a bit at the end of the ensembles...it just may become a bit more -PNA.  Regardless, I don't see any real red flags...but by later in November, we better hope to see signs of something more favorable. It doesn't have to be a classic look...just more favorable.

Pattern change starts Nov 15 and is complete Nov 25 and it sustains semi permanently for 8 to 10 weeks. Enjoy the ride.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

And sometimes the farther north, the better.  Best example was 2005-06 when Aroostook got a 25-35" dump on Dec 25-27 and very little after that.  In mid-February a fellow from Corpus Christi called the manager of Aroostook State Park (west from PQI) about sledding.  The manager said it was terrible there but okay in the St. John Valley.  Hard to imagine telling someone from south Texas that central Aroostook in February didn't have good snow. 
A month later was my one and only long day on a sled, and only experience with a 4-cycle - smoothest throttle and response of any (of the few) sleds I've driven.  Temp was 30-32 the day after a significant rain; most trails had recent grooming, so they were smooth but soft.  We started from the Northern Door in Fort Kent and rode trails to Eagle Lake, then went off the groomed trails with some water-on-ice crossings, gassed up in town and rode to Deboullie, the last part off the groomer trails again.  Riding across Deboullie Pond on 1" new above slush was an adventure; I was fortunate to not be one of the sleds that paunched into the slop.  By the time I got back to the motel I'd had more than enough - only 120 miles or so, but I had lots of extra exercise trying to keep up with people who knew how to ride.  ;)

I know the area and route you took well. Beautiful ride through the Debouile trail. 

funny thing, I Was on my way up there in Dec of 06 as that one(storm) was wrapping  up…drove all night, and had to pull into rest area just before Medway to sleep due to the mesmerizing nature of the heavy snow at night for hrs on end. 95 was one lane and barely passable, I was in 4 wheel hi towing my new trailer and new sled doing 30 mph if that, to St Agatha.  A 9-10 hour trip took about 17 hrs. So Exhausting.   When I arrived at the lodge at about 10am…the area was buried under close to 40”.   Needless to say we broke trail for a couple days until grooming operations could get caught up…quite the experience. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I know the area and route you took well. Beautiful ride through the Debouile trail. 

funny thing, I Was on my way up there in Dec of 06 as that one(storm) was wrapping  up…drove all night, and had to pull into rest area just before Medway to sleep due to the mesmerizing nature of the heavy snow at night for hrs on end. 95 was one lane and barely passable, I was in 4 wheel hi towing my new trailer and new sled doing 30 mph if that, to St Agatha.  A 9-10 hour trip took about 17 hrs. So Exhausting.   When I arrived at the lodge at about 10am…the area was buried under close to 40”.   Needless to say we broke trail for a couple days until grooming operations could get caught up…quite the experience. 

not as pretty as it used to be. Was there in March and didn't even recognize the trail due to all the logging.

44 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I caught the squirrel in the act. Ripping into the other pumpkins. This thing is the fattest I have ever seen one . And there was not one acorn this fall. This thing is massive. Jerry ? It’s obese @weathafella

detwZhG.jpg

1mefNaE.jpg

0UwVze0.jpg

more importantly, why the hell are there so many leaves on your lawn? it looks hideous!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Was through there in 3rd week of February this year…still was beautiful but there was logging as you said.   

I wonder if the major heavy cuts were on abutting landowners.  Deboullie has had significant harvesting since the most recent Google Earth imagery (2013) but very little clearcutting (less than 1% of harvest acres) and that generally on hilltop hardwood stands, trying to get a species mix rather than 90% beech sprouts.  Other harvests there are of individually marked trees. Around the ponds area, Debo, Gardner, Black, Island - no cuts, it's part of a no-cut ecological reserve.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah my local PWS has a high of 75F so far in Stowe.  It’s hot.

BTV has just been baking in full sun most of the afternoon too.  Perfect combination.  Rain to the east, rain to the west.

Full sun, hot and humid in the middle.  Sun just hit here and it feels like summer out there.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c91e4d9648228328a1fe27d18690deec.jpg