Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Squirrels??????

Gray squirrels, sure, and I'm confident the larger fox squirrels (not found in the Northeast) are just as tasty.  I've never tried red squirrel but friends who have say the meat has spruce-pitch overtones, no surprise given the little rascals' main diet.  Gray squirrel meat has a texture similar to that of chicken dark meat, but it has its own mild taste and is very low in fat.

36 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Gross

1. Cook squirrels slowly in large pot with just enough water to cover the squirrels. Add butter and salt and cook until tender. Cool.
  2. Remove meat from bones and return to stock. Add potatoes, onions and celery. ...
  3. Add tomatoes, corn, pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil. ...
  4. Serve with green salad and garlic bread.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, kdxken said:
  1. Cook squirrels slowly in large pot with just enough water to cover the squirrels. Add butter and salt and cook until tender. Cool.
  2. Remove meat from bones and return to stock. Add potatoes, onions and celery. ...

This is another way to prepare them.  

Folks turn up their noses, when they’ve never even tried it..that’s nauseating. if I prepared them and fried them up and served them, most of you guys would like em..a lot.   

Just like frog legs…absolutely delicious too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

5. Wash down with cold IPA

• Like 3

Just now, mreaves said:

I thought you've been below freezing?  My lawn isn't growing anymore, just mowing for leaves now.

Nope. Had a touch of frost on the rooftops but that's it. Lower and more rural spots have been below 32. But it takes more than a couple of frosts to stop the grass. It may be slow, but still grows.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Nope. Had a touch of frost on the rooftops but that's it. Lower and more rural spots have been below 32. But it takes more than a couple of frosts to stop the grass. It may be slow, but still grows.

I've hard 3 hard frosts so far, but the lawn is still a nice green and growing (slowly like you said). Trying to get it to a reasonable length this year so it isn't matted down under the snow. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Never had squirrel but I like gamey meat so I'd prob be fine with it. I've eaten rabbit.

Use to always hunt rabbit and partridge when i was younger, Buddy of mine had two beagles that were very good at hunting rabbit, Always made a stew with them, They are very good.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Never had squirrel but I like gamey meat so I'd prob be fine with it. I've eaten rabbit.

You’d like it Will. It’s a nice meat…the key to not having it taste gamey, is after its cleaned you soak it in cold salt water for 3-5 hours, then rinse well, and then freeze if you’re not eating at that time.  

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

They’re good eating…used to eat them all the time growing up.  Need about 6-7 for a good meal for a family of four. 

I used to hunt them as a kid and just had to try one, it wasn't bad, bet they make a good stew. Not sure if the weather has had some effect but I have a colony of squirrels in my yard every day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember one year it was still growing in December, very slow but still growing.

18 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I used to hunt them as a kid and just had to try one, it wasn't bad, bet they make a good stew. Not sure if the weather has had some effect but I have a colony of squirrels in my yard every day.

Yeah the squirrels are absolutely nuts this year. Keep tripping my game cameras. Might have to make some Mulligan...