Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Only 2-3 miles from dryslot, too.  About the same as from Lava Rock when a few mils to 302.
When my parents lived in Woodsville, NH, we would take the same route from Lewiston to North Conway on the way there, then drive the Kanc and Kinsman Notch.  Less spectacular but nice rural Maine was Route 11 from Mechanics Falls to Rt 302.  Our return trip usually took the northerly route, to Jefferson and then Rt 2 to Bethel, 26 to 219 thru the Sumner woods, another even more rural Maine country drive.

Yep, the dirty Lew reference was for Dryslot.  I know Lava Rock is in the Sebago area and I think you're north of Augusta.  It would have been out of my way to try and pass through your neck of the woods too.  I thought about going through the Kanc and have before on my way home but decided on Crawford this time.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yep, the dirty Lew reference was for Dryslot.  I know Lava Rock is in the Sebago area and I think you're north of Augusta.  It would have been out of my way to try and pass through your neck of the woods too.  I thought about going through the Kanc and have before on my way home but decided on Crawford this time.

To get anywhere near my place, you would've needed to take Rt 27 north from AUG and then turn left onto Rt 2.  A mile from that corner there's blinker lights and we're 2 road miles north from there. Not as scenic as the notches, but Rt 2 is mostly a nice drive though as the main east-west highway in NNE it has more than its share of trucks.

20 hours ago, mreaves said:

Made the trip home from Augusta today. I always go over on Rt. 2 and then go home cutting across to 302 as I love the Naples/Bridgton area. Drove through the dirty Lew, somewhere in the vicinity of the Lava Rock and right through Alex and Nopoles land. It was like an AMWX NNE tour. 

302 is about a 5 minute drive from Harrison. I'm always going on there for grocery runs in North Conway/Windham as well as to PWM for my flights to/from Phoenix.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Only 2-3 miles from dryslot, too.  About the same as from Lava Rock when a few mils to 302.
When my parents lived in Woodsville, NH, we would take the same route from Lewiston to North Conway on the way there, then drive the Kanc and Kinsman Notch.  Less spectacular but nice rural Maine was Route 11 from Mechanics Falls to Rt 302.  Our return trip usually took the northerly route, to Jefferson and then Rt 2 to Bethel, 26 to 219 thru the Sumner woods, another even more rural Maine country drive.

26 from Bethel to Errol is interesting too. There's a mountain divide where the rain snow line often sets up in the winter, and which acts as a barrier to marine crud in the warm season. The pines there are also more of the kind upstate and downeast.

34 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

302 is about a 5 minute drive from Harrison. I'm always going on there for grocery runs in North Conway/Windham as well as to PWM for my flights to/from Phoenix.

26 from Bethel to Errol is interesting too. There's a mountain divide where the rain snow line often sets up in the winter, and which acts as a barrier to marine crud in the warm season. The pines there are also more of the kind upstate and downeast.

Once one gets north of Rt 2, most of the "pines" are spruce and fir.  (And maybe you knew that already.)

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Once one gets north of Rt 2, most of the "pines" are spruce and fir.  (And maybe you knew that already.)

Just a rudimentary knowledge. I'm not well versed in the proper terminologies, but saw how they change once getting past Augusta or so on 95 as well as that drive on 26. In the past I had a friend who used to be in the forest service and pointed these things out to me.

3 hours ago, Hoth said:

Really on the receiving end of the ol' cosmic dil today. Awful weather.

Yea it's pretty miserable looking out today.

6 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Just a rudimentary knowledge. I'm not well versed in the proper terminologies, but saw how they change once getting past Augusta or so on 95 as well as that drive on 26. In the past I had a friend who used to be in the forest service and pointed these things out to me.

When we moved to BGR on Jan. 23, 1973 so I could study forestry at U. Maine, I was familiar with most of the trees in NNJ where I'd grown up.  Maine evergreens, not so much.  A few days after the move, I drove west on Rt 2 into the next town and stopped to walk into a roadside stand of evergreens, to see if I could tell spruce from fir - I had no idea which was which.  Like any other experienced forester in NNE, I can now discern between the two from a distance, but I clearly remember my earlier total inability to make that call.

• Like 1

We pay for it now ...and then hopefully, our purchase turns around as what could be the best weather in the geologic history of Octobers, Friday thru next Tuesday.    60 to start, 74 to finish, with almost no wind by Saturday onward, with 120 mi visibility.

2-meters look too cool for 558 to 563 hydrostats and 850s to 11C. 

All we have to do is make sure the GFS doesn't verify -

• Haha 1

Grafton Notch. Cool area with snowmobiling right through the notch.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3