Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s nothing worse than those posts on Dec 17th.. “it’s still early and not Climo favored” “our snowy months are Jan and Feb”. Those posts are like nails on a chalkboard 

No.. no I will not accept that . I will not deal with that . It should be snowing in December .

- Wood

You definitely like your seasons “early” climo-wise if that makes sense.

You want spring warmth and sun by Morch not May…you want HHH no later than Memorial Day, not July 4th.  Autumn chill (highs 40s) by October 1st and deep winter settling in by Thanksgiving.

Ready to move onto the next season very quickly at the first hint that one season might be waning at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah of late, but I still think our region wide chances of a huge snowstorm climo wise is higher in March?

Need like December 2007 or 2008 or 2009 type months… weren’t those relatively good years?  Maybe not 2009?  

We got 39.4 inches in Dec 2017 with 10.8 inches on Christmas Eve into Christmas morn. That worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

In non-weather news I am on day three of Covid.  Very odd experience. 24 hours of a slight scratchy throat and then waves of heavy fatigue, chills and headache.

No congestion, no fever still have taste and smell just want to sleep a lot which I have been doing.  It certainly has not been pleasant but I am doing OK and I’m about to take the dog on a walk in the sunshine.

That was my experience in July.  Except milder.  Big time fatigue but otherwise not bad and by d5 I was fine.   I got my 5th shot yesterday (heading to a meeting with 8000 next week on the west coast).  Reaction was stronger vs the 3 prior boosters.   All clear today after a long sleep.  It sounds like you’re on the mend-hopefully quickly!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes...March is a bit better in terms of snowfall, climo wise....I have waged this battle with Kev.

Only 24 years here, but Dec has averaged 18.7" with coefficient of variation 63% while March runs 16.4" with CV 78%.  March is a bit odd because it's had 5 years with 30" but no others above 19.3".  The "more big storms in March" has held true here even though December has had storms of 24" and 21" while the biggest in March is 19.9".  That said, March has featured 9 events of 12"+ and December only 4.

40 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Over top ridging on Euro. Probably 70s up into NNE next week 

I imagine that's near record territory 

Hopefully, that sounds awesome.  Record maxes right now are still in the 70s here.  Record mins in the teens.

Today is a dream.  Left work early, grabbing the dog to go wander the mountains until it gets dark.

57/26 and full sun.

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That was my experience in July.  Except milder.  Big time fatigue but otherwise not bad and by d5 I was fine.   I got my 5th shot yesterday (heading to a meeting with 8000 next week on the west coast).  Reaction was stronger vs the 3 prior boosters.   All clear today after a long sleep.  It sounds like you’re on the mend-hopefully quickly!

I’m halfway through my 75th year and have never gotten it. I’ve had the pfizer series plus two boosters. I had reactions, the last one extreme, to both boosters. I’m leaning towards but still hesitant to get the 5th. I will not be in a large group meeting although power walking downtown Brooklyn or taking the subway, I might as well be. I wonder why the boosters, for some of us, lead to side effects. Oh well if I procrastinate much longer, in the absence of my lost love, my daughters will push me over the finish line. Stay well and enjoy your trip. Also I pray for H V’s rapid recovery. As always ….

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

In non-weather news I am on day three of Covid.  Very odd experience. 24 hours of a slight scratchy throat and then waves of heavy fatigue, chills and headache.

No congestion, no fever still have taste and smell just want to sleep a lot which I have been doing.  It certainly has not been pleasant but I am doing OK and I’m about to take the dog on a walk in the sunshine.

First time?  I had a round of it in late May.  Basically a nasty sore throat. Sort of shocked I haven’t had it other than that considering the clients I work with. 

37 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I was up in the Stowe area late November last year and 6" fell. it was like a different planet when I came back..waited about 2 months from that point to accumulate 6" total..then of course the blizzard hit. But point being, North country is where you gotta be if you want consistently early chances for snow

Lake effect areas and upslope areas are by far the best spots for early season snow....the upslope kind of feeds off the leftover lake effect too...esp in VT where they can regenerate dying bands and a boost form Lake Champlain too. In early season, your delta-Ts on the lake temps vs atmosphere are still huge, so you get some prolific stuff at times, and even non-idea setups produce more than they do in mid-winter.

In my time out in Ithaca, you could count on accumulating snow relatively frequently starting in mid/late November right until Xmas break when we went home.

Synoptic snows don't start becoming more reliable until mid-December usually and for southeastern coastal areas, often later than that as you are well aware.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

after two consecutive BN snowfall winters, I'm ready for a good one. LFG!

Three in a row here, though 19-20 was only 4" shy thanks to having the season's two biggest snowfalls post-equinox plus the May surprise.  (It was well forecast, but any May measurable snow is a surprise.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I’m halfway through my 75th year and have never gotten it. I’ve had the pfizer series plus two boosters. I had reactions, the last one extreme, to both boosters. I’m leaning towards but still hesitant to get the 5th. I will not be in a large group meeting although power walking downtown Brooklyn or taking the subway, I might as well be. I wonder why the boosters, for some of us, lead to side effects. Oh well if I procrastinate much longer, in the absence of my lost love, my daughters will push me over the finish line. Stay well and enjoy your trip. Also I pray for H V’s rapid recovery. As always ….

Just had ly third Pfizer booster Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I got a little ill my first booster, second one very extreme shoulder soreness, but hardly anything Wedneaday...very mild shoulder pain.  No other symptoms..

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve always said. You lose December .. you lose winter. Sure there’s 2016.. but it just makes things extremely short. To me , winter is ruined if Dec is bad 

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think you meant 2015..as in late January and February?

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah :lol:

Beer, lots of…beer.

• Haha 1